Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

jackofshadows

Magister
YOU DONT GET IT GUYS the REAL game begins after the 500+ hour ezmode sleepytime tutorial
if yOUJ havent raided on mythic +++++++++ difficulty you havent even played the real game!
fuking nPOBOOOOOBS
This but unironically. That's why I don't even bother to try any MMO anymore. The true satisfaction I gain is by owning in that whatever fucking game and that requires massive, massive commitment.

jackofshadows

Magister
When a MMO about to launch, devs care the most about the first impressions, the low level experience. And it wasn't nearly as bad as it now (apparantely) in TESO case. This is obvious, right? Why it's not so obvious that as time goes on and audience becomes much more stable the devs are starting to care the most about core audience?

Tuning high level content, working on expansions... They do not have unlimited resources.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Say what you will about level scaling but that's a small price to pay to have all content viable at endgame in an MMO.

Dude, I'd give anything to understand your mentality. I'm genuinelly baffled. Why are you even playing RPGs? To figure out your build, your stats, your skill, the crafting, alchemy, to be better able to handle the content? But you don't need to do any of it in ESO. You're never in a real danger, nothing can realistically hurt you and and everything dies with a couple of pokes of your basic attack. It's literally a Story Mode.

Apparently you're happy with the fact that to get to the endgame you have to go through 100 hours of running around the world pressing "1". I don't understand why the 1-50 levelling process is even in the game. Why chardev or gear or even enemies are in the game. All quest bosses keel over in a few pokes. What's the fucking point?

The overworld is pretty much just there to get more skill points and money.

Really though what was the last mmo that had engaging overworld content and wasn't just a faceroll till the autistic end game grind?

Say what you will about level scaling but that's a small price to pay to have all content viable at endgame in an MMO.
It makes all the zones the same boring mush. Progress until reaching cp 160+ is pretty much nonexistent due to it.

ADL

Prophet
Dude, I'd give anything to understand your mentality. I'm genuinelly baffled. Why are you even playing RPGs? To figure out your build, your stats, your skill, the crafting, alchemy, to be better able to handle the content? But you don't need to do any of it in ESO. You're never in a real danger, nothing can realistically hurt you and and everything dies with a couple of pokes of your basic attack. It's literally a Story Mode.

Apparently you're happy with the fact that to get to the endgame you have to go through 100 hours of running around the world pressing "1". I don't understand why the 1-50 levelling process is even in the game. Why chardev or gear or even enemies are in the game. All quest bosses keel over in a few pokes. What's the fucking point?

In total agreement on the 1-50 experience being unnecessary. Leveling progression in MMOs has always been tedious tutorial crap and anyone playing MMOs in TYOOL 2021 doesn't need a tutorial because if you've played one in the last twenty years, you've played them all. The overland difficulty has been fucked since the introduction of Champion Points but still, it provides more of a challenge than being level 60 in World of Warcraft and going back to the starter zones in your endgame raid gear. Not saying ESO's scaling is perfect or anywhere near where I want it to be personally but it's an improvement.

What they need to do is have a Veteran overland mode toggle or bring back adventure zones like Craglorn or the original concept for Murkmire because the powercreep at CP300+ is out of control.

Shitposter
i have an idea for a game genre it's going to have two difficulties
1) braindead easy cookie clicker cartoon story mode
2) autistically hard you're literally forced to exploit game mechanics and co-ordinate synchronized water polo between 20 retards at the same time to accomplish anything

and to unlock the second difficulty you're going to need to spend 500+ hours playing only the first difficulty
sounds like a good game genre rite guys?

i have an idea for a game genre it's going to have two difficulties
1) braindead easy cookie clicker cartoon story mode
2) autistically hard you're literally forced to exploit game mechanics and co-ordinate synchronized water polo between 20 retards at the same time to accomplish anything

and to unlock the second difficulty you're going to need to spend 500+ hours playing only the first difficulty
sounds like a good game genre rite guys?
Make sure to sell lootboxes, cosmetics, and experience boosts for real money to shorten that 500+ hour grind for real money.

Generic-Giant-Spider

The one thing I like about ESO is how the gear progression is kept horizontal and not vertical. You don't have that dreadful feeling of, "come back a few patches or an expansion later, oh shit I'm in irrelevant gear now." If you had a good set from day one, there's a high chance it will be a good set five years from now. Other games should take after that idea instead of adding bigger numbers and by extension terrible power creep and by extension of that retarded one shot mechanics you need constellation alignment or psychic link with your party members to pull off without a hitch.

Codex Year of the Donut
reinstalled to play and jesus wtf happened to champion points
I was near the cap at the last time I played(have ~600) and can barely afford anything now

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Base game was fun I completed only Covenant part cause I am racyst specist against elves, furr-fags* and lizard people but I was fully engaged it felt like Oblivion did right, my only regret was that Fighter and Mage guilds were so brief and that there is no option to play at Imperial side but duh. Quests are engaging and its nice to meet people you helped or fought along side in next quests or DLCs, there is plenty of C&C and you are often surprised by quests results too. Don't know about it being to easy, difficulty is OK when you not mega game and craft ube char like so many here faggots do.

*Za-ji is total bro though, great performance from voice actor too. also I did sacrificed the blade-master nigga to get his sword and they brought him again lol.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
After many years I finally got around playing the Morrowind expansion, and... it was surprisingly good.
I probably got a lot extra out off it thanks to fond Morrowind memories, but I think it was still a massive improvement to the rollercoaster hit-and-miss basegame areas.
Too bad my old game only came with that and Elfland, so now I have to drag myself through someone else playing Cockwork City if I want to continue.
I am not supporting Todd's business model of paying again to visit it myself. :obviously:

Combat still sucks tho.

Last edited:
In case someone playing Morrowind missed that:

Screenshot-20210427-102410.png

"Go here: world without wheel, charting zero deaths, and echoes singing"

Base game was fun I completed only Covenant part cause I am racyst specist against elves, furr-fags* and lizard people but I was fully engaged it felt like Oblivion did right

Agree, as a Bonemold-wearing Dunmer I didn't really quest there, but High Rock has that somber and gloomy, but in a subtle way, atmosphere

*Za-ji is total bro though, great performance from voice actor too.

Wholeheartedly agree about Za'ji :love:And I recently learned that Cadwell is voiced by John Cleese lmao.

Also the red dragonbro, Nahlahlaar is Nafaalilargus from TES Adventures: Redguard, that crappy game where Cyrus slain him for being loyal to Tiber Septim.

also I did sacrificed the blade-master nigga to get his sword and they brought him again lol.

Sai Sahan is a :obviously: Sword-Singer, which is tonal manipulation like Thu'um or Tools of Kagrenac. Especially with DLCs, it shows how much care goes to the deep/obscure ESO lore (whole Clockwork City, Morrowind confirming C0DA, Summerset confirming Towers, antiquities like Fragment of Lyg or Alinor Sunbird remains etc).

Even in one of the vanilla Craglorn Trials, you see a Dragon Break in process with jungle Cyrodiil around you.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
What bothered me about the basegame narrative was the influence of the "alliances war".
I was under the impression that it was only a localized conflict/race for Cyrodil, all 3 factions try to get their grubby hands on, not an all out war between them.
While Covenant and the Dominion deal mostly with bandits/cultists/internal drama and the occasional spy problem, the first areas of the Ebonheart story has you fight/run from a full scale Covenant invasion. Who apparently had enough people/resources to sail all the way there (bypassing Morrowind no less) instead of, you know, using those to gain the upper hand in Cyrodil?
That left me pretty confused, especially because Bretonland is full of Nords/Elves/Dunmer who... do not seem to give a shit. Or get deported because of a war. There the invaders were imperials at least, which made a lot more sense.

Tho nothing beats my stupid face when I just had left Lyris in Coldharbor prison and immideately bumped into her at the fighters guild, trying to peddle me a DLC. Wut. :hahano:
Even after I sacrificed her for her axe the greater good she was still there.
Mah C&C! :argh:

Oh well, still worth the 13 bucks I payed for it. Heh, haven't even touched the 5000+ Cybershekelz the game gave me...

Tho nothing beats my stupid face when I just had left Lyris in Coldharbor prison and immideately bumped into her at the fighters guild, trying to peddle me a DLC. Wut. :hahano:

That's the MMO format for you. Though at least TES can get away from it the most, being a one gigantic Dragon Break I guess. For the "chronological" narrative the order is from the bottom to the top: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/updates

I assume the sacrificed companion gets explained around Orsinium, as that's when my sacrificed prophet warned me from the heavens about the plot of Morrowind and Summerset.

Oh well, still worth the 13 bucks I payed for it. Heh, haven't even touched the 5000+ Cybershekelz the game gave me...

Spend it on Clockwork City (though finish Morrowind first). In general ESO dlcs/chapters are a gigantic incline over vanilla.

Not only it's not really an RPG, it's barely a game. Whether you fight a rat, a goblin, a forest trol or a giant ancient lich nothing can really hurt you. And everything dies with a few pokes of your basic spear. Tried this game last year, played for about 7 hours, got to level 8 and never dipped below 50% of my HP. Everything, including minibosses and bosses, just died when I scowled in their general direction.

It's like playing an RPG with a god mode on. What's even the point of playing it? What's there to play? I don't get it.
The world looks great, the quests are sometimes fun....but they don't matter. Your build, levelling, gear, crafting, alchemy....none of that matters. It's literally just cosmetic window dressing because 90% of the game runs on Story Mode.

The PvE content is not an RPG, it's not even a game. It's just a virtual world to run around and sightsee.

Yeah, it's especially jarring since The Elder Scrolls are well-known for their unforgiving difficulty. Especially Morrowind with its underpowered magic and fast paced, reactive Bloodborne-esque combat, and Daggerfall/Oblivion for their carefully handcrafted encounters, Kingdom Come-esque tactical swordplay and challenging AI testing the player to his limits.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Not only it's not really an RPG, it's barely a game. Whether you fight a rat, a goblin, a forest trol or a giant ancient lich nothing can really hurt you. And everything dies with a few pokes of your basic spear. Tried this game last year, played for about 7 hours, got to level 8 and never dipped below 50% of my HP. Everything, including minibosses and bosses, just died when I scowled in their general direction.

It's like playing an RPG with a god mode on. What's even the point of playing it? What's there to play? I don't get it.
The world looks great, the quests are sometimes fun....but they don't matter. Your build, levelling, gear, crafting, alchemy....none of that matters. It's literally just cosmetic window dressing because 90% of the game runs on Story Mode.

The PvE content is not an RPG, it's not even a game. It's just a virtual world to run around and sightsee.

Yeah, it's especially jarring since The Elder Scrolls are well-known for their unforgiving difficulty. Especially Morrowind with its underpowered magic and fast paced, reactive Bloodborne-esque combat, and Daggerfall/Oblivion for their carefully handcrafted encounters, Kingdom Come-esque tactical swordplay and challenging AI testing the player to his limits.
Depends on what class you picked actually. Of course the 1-button-wonder templar is banal boring easymode.
Back when I made my char I wasn't really MMO compatible.
Went for a Dwagonknight Nord, envisioning 1h/shield and 2h, because it felt fitting. Also no magic, because magic is for the weaker races. :obviously:

Terrible choices for this game, but I lived with the consequences. C&C bitches!

But what a NoFun slog it was.
1h does zero dmg, so I had to go for 2h. Even after putting all points in stamina I went through it faster like an US car through gas. Dwagon blood healed for shit, rally comes way too late, so I had to drag myself through the PvP tutorial to get that heal to not die all the time. I actually ran out of soul gems, yes, that IS possible. :hahano:
Past CP 160 with decent gear combat rarely takes longer than 15 seconds, but still drains stam fast.

Compared to Sorcerer however? Pulsar halves enemy HP, crits heal you, set and that lightning spell returns mana... it's like roleplaying a Duracell bunny. Downtime? Wus dat? :hahano:

Bethesda games have always been about self limitation, this one is no exception.

ADL

Prophet
reinstalled to play and jesus wtf happened to champion points
I was near the cap at the last time I played(have ~600) and can barely afford anything now
Get on that treadmill faggot.
already alt-f4'd
According to some forum threads I read it now takes 1200CP to hit the "cap" and you'll want about 2400CP to be able to pick and choose what nodes you slot in. I haven't played since those changes were made but I'll jump in for Blackwood and see how much this new system sucks.

Thanks for the great horizontal progression ZOS.

ADL

Prophet
First time touching the game since the CP overhaul and my builds play better than ever. Companion system is neat but it makes an already easy game even easier to solo. In an ideal world this is their first step towards reintroducing adventure zones or a veteran overland system. The new oblivion portals events are fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom