Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by Nattvardsvin, May 3, 2012.

1. Bliblablubb Arcane

Bliblablubb
    What bothered me about the basegame narrative was the influence of the "alliances war".
    I was under the impression that it was only a localized conflict/race for Cyrodil, all 3 factions try to get their grubby hands on, not an all out war between them.
    While Covenant and the Dominion deal mostly with bandits/cultists/internal drama and the occasional spy problem, the first areas of the Ebonheart story has you fight/run from a full scale Covenant invasion. Who apparently had enough people/resources to sail all the way there (bypassing Morrowind no less) instead of, you know, using those to gain the upper hand in Cyrodil?
    That left me pretty confused, especially because Bretonland is full of Nords/Elves/Dunmer who... do not seem to give a shit. Or get deported because of a war. There the invaders were imperials at least, which made a lot more sense.

Tho nothing beats my stupid face when I just had left Lyris in Coldharbor prison and immideately bumped into her at the fighters guild, trying to peddle me a DLC. Wut. :hahano:
    Even after I sacrificed her for her axe the greater good she was still there.
    Mah C&C! :argh:

Oh well, still worth the 13 bucks I payed for it. Heh, haven't even touched the 5000+ Cybershekelz the game gave me...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Manjuice Nutella Arcane

Manjuice Nutella
    That's the MMO format for you. Though at least TES can get away from it the most, being a one gigantic Dragon Break I guess. For the "chronological" narrative the order is from the bottom to the top: https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/updates

I assume the sacrificed companion gets explained around Orsinium, as that's when my sacrificed prophet warned me from the heavens about the plot of Morrowind and Summerset.

Spend it on Clockwork City (though finish Morrowind first). In general ESO dlcs/chapters are a gigantic incline over vanilla.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Manjuice Nutella Arcane

Manjuice Nutella
    Yeah, it's especially jarring since The Elder Scrolls are well-known for their unforgiving difficulty. Especially Morrowind with its underpowered magic and fast paced, reactive Bloodborne-esque combat, and Daggerfall/Oblivion for their carefully handcrafted encounters, Kingdom Come-esque tactical swordplay and challenging AI testing the player to his limits.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    :nocountryforshitposters:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Bliblablubb Arcane

Bliblablubb
    Depends on what class you picked actually. Of course the 1-button-wonder templar is banal boring easymode.
    Back when I made my char I wasn't really MMO compatible.
    Went for a Dwagonknight Nord, envisioning 1h/shield and 2h, because it felt fitting. Also no magic, because magic is for the weaker races. :obviously:

Terrible choices for this game, but I lived with the consequences. C&C bitches!

But what a NoFun slog it was.
    1h does zero dmg, so I had to go for 2h. Even after putting all points in stamina I went through it faster like an US car through gas. Dwagon blood healed for shit, rally comes way too late, so I had to drag myself through the PvP tutorial to get that heal to not die all the time. I actually ran out of soul gems, yes, that IS possible. :hahano:
    Past CP 160 with decent gear combat rarely takes longer than 15 seconds, but still drains stam fast.

Compared to Sorcerer however? Pulsar halves enemy HP, crits heal you, set and that lightning spell returns mana... it's like roleplaying a Duracell bunny. Downtime? Wus dat? :hahano:

Bethesda games have always been about self limitation, this one is no exception.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Alexander DeLarge Cipher

Alexander DeLarge
    According to some forum threads I read it now takes 1200CP to hit the "cap" and you'll want about 2400CP to be able to pick and choose what nodes you slot in. I haven't played since those changes were made but I'll jump in for Blackwood and see how much this new system sucks.

Thanks for the great horizontal progression ZOS.

• honk honk! honk honk! x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    The new champion trees are incomparably better than the old clusterfuck.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Alexander DeLarge Cipher

Alexander DeLarge
    First time touching the game since the CP overhaul and my builds play better than ever. Companion system is neat but it makes an already easy game even easier to solo. In an ideal world this is their first step towards reintroducing adventure zones or a veteran overland system. The new oblivion portals events are fun.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Commissar Draco Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar Patron

Commissar Draco
    Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Will pick the game once its again on sale, I finished all the story lines I was interesting in, bit shame that none DLC/Expansion had story as good as the one in Orsinium, I thought that the Bro Imperial Mage was going to sacrifice himself in Elsewhere North but he survived, tough son of bitch Commissar might add, would pick the game if there was more Imperial themed content, like playable Imperial Legion faction or defending Cyrodil against all thee rustics Alliances or at least some campaign in Colovia around Sacre Tor.

Show Spoiler
    The Last Legal Emperor Aquilarius Varro is still alive... so maybe..

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    The number of people running around with companions is a pretty good hint as to why Zenimax doesn't give a shit about any player complaints.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  12. Alexander DeLarge Cipher

Alexander DeLarge
    • decline decline x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    Did they ever revert the no proc set bonuses working in PVP thing from a few months back? I miss deleting health bars in 0.1 seconds.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    No, they said it will be until the next update.
    They nerfed all proc sets anyway so they are now unusable in PvP and useless in PvE. For sets that are based on weapon/spell damage now you need over 6500 to match the old damage values.
    :littlemissfun:

^ Top  
  15. Bliblablubb Arcane

Bliblablubb
    I finally got around playing Cockwork City during the free period and... it was surprisingly good. Didn't expect the steampunkish scenario to work that well, made me even think of Arcanum in the end.
    Sota Sil turned out to be such a bro, playing infinite dimensions chess.
    Also him dizzing Vivec and Almacunt in the end was a great epilogue. :obviously:

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Stokowski Arcane

Stokowski
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    base game is poo but some of the DLC is really good. Clockwork City was easily one of the top ones.
    Morrowind expansion is also pretty darn good.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Bliblablubb Arcane

Bliblablubb
    The Morrowind chapter also made me remember that the whole Molag Bal thing is all Vivec's fault. If he hadn't dumped his lover, Molly would not have been so hellbent on destroying everything.

A friendly reminder of Vivec's 14th semen sermon, an offical lorebook from the old Morrowind game:
    https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:36_Lessons_of_Vivec,_Sermon_14
    Putting TLDR into spoilers, because... WTF Todd?
    Show Spoiler
    After Vivec layed with the Prince of rape for 88 days, during which he "tenderly used his body", Molag wanted to "improve his rupture", because he accidently shaped his dick like a spear. So Vivec whipped out his own dick and "bit new new words" into Molag's. All the demons watching did the same until the earth was wet. Vivec then shaped HIS dick like a spear, called it MUATRA, the "milk-taker" and slew the demons with his hyperweapon. Raaaaance Viiiiiiivec attack!
    Molag then got angry and vowed never to call Vivec beautiful again. Hell hath no fury than a prince scorned indeed.

Seriously, WTF TODD???

I don't regret punching Vivec to death back in the days. :obviously:

• Someone has issues Someone has issues x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Caim Arcane

Caim
    That was Michael Kirkbride's doing. Being locked in a room for a week with nothing but booze, cigarettes, heavy duty designer drugs and no clothes does things to a man.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Child of Malkav Liturgist

Child of Malkav
    I haven't played this MMO. Compared to WoW (yeah, I know) how do classes work? Are there any? What stats are there? How does gearing up work? Player housing, mounts etc.?

^ Top  
  21. Bliblablubb Arcane

Bliblablubb
    When it comes to classes, it's easier if you state what/how you want play, since all classes have 3 different "roles" you can go for and mix. Some are better for certain roles than others. And if you want to be a pvp/meta pro, I am not even the guy to ask.

If you just want to go solo and do all the story there is, you just play and don't even bother with gear until you are CL160, the max level for gear. Below lvl50 you get scaled up anyway. Then you can just farm certain overland sets combine them with quest reward pieces and be done with it.
    Pros go dungeon farming and stuff.

Housing: you get a free inn room to place your 30 item chest, a small convienient one (fast travel) costs some 60k gold, but for a real "representative" you would need to spend real dollars, because otherwise you would grind for years. That's how Todd rolls. :argh:

^ Top  
  22. Alexander DeLarge Cipher

Alexander DeLarge
    The pro strat is to be prepared for an ESO+ trial where your furnishings are quadrupled or whatever and place it all down while it is free.

Especially if you intend to circumvent crafting bag functionality. I did a write-up on how to do that couple pages back and you'll want those storage chests that give you another +360 slots. Ignore but remember this advice until you're CP160+ and begging for mercy because of constant inventory management.

^ Top  
  23. Bliblablubb Arcane

Bliblablubb
    Aren't those storage chests crown store only (ignoring writ vouchers)? Kinda pricey for a beginner.
    Better to just make some mule chars and buy some cheap bag upgrades for those for now, then shuffle via bank.
    Okay my bank is 140 over capacity currently, so I can't do shit until the next ESO+ trial, but... it's not that I had any reason to play before it... :hahano:

• Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Utgard-Loki Arcane

Utgard-Loki
    the entire telvanni questline just exists to shit on players that wanted to play a telvanni, doesn't it? :hmmm:

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.