Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Bliblablubb

Arcane
You can buy it for voucher writs/guild traders, DLC is not necessary to use it. Also every guild and their mother has one.
Could you always do that, or is it a more "recent" addition, so that it was DLC exclusive at least for a time?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The game would be much more enjoyable if everything wasn't level scaled to your character. Level scaling in an MMO is about the most stupid design decision imaginable, in a genre that is about the power progression of your character, it's a game where you never feel more or less powerful to anything while questing.

ADL

Prophet
Nah, level scaling is the best thing to ever happen to the game. It's not perfect but it's sure as hell better than the alternative. Every single bit of content in the game ever produced is relevant and viable at endgame because of the horizontal progression structure and never raising the gear level. Invalidating thousands of hours of content the moment a new expansion comes out is fucking retarded.

Endgame is all about collecting gear and creating interesting builds which this game does very well. Problem is, they've gotten better at designing gear over the years so there's power creep despite never raising the level cap. What we need now is some sort of difficulty scaling so that way you're not one-shotting everything in sight.

You can buy it for voucher writs/guild traders, DLC is not necessary to use it. Also every guild and their mother has one.
Could you always do that, or is it a more "recent" addition, so that it was DLC exclusive at least for a time?

Always. It’s the Jewelry crafting station that required having Summerset DLC to access it (and yeah, this one is pretty scummy)

i got this on the last day of latest sale, and all it did was making me want to play skyrim instead. all this game has to offer is the progress-quest syndrome, and even that it's just limited to your skills, because nothing else matters. i haven't spent a single stat point (wow, 100 points more in front of the base 20000 i already have, totally gamechanging), i barely upgraded a bunch of class skills, i see no reason to not go mono-builds (and only very very rare few passives are of any usefulness), and i feel like i've been doing *more* and more damage actually. mobs are only visually distinct, once you have a ranged weapon you stop even caring if they're the "chase you" or "you chase" kind. i haven't felt the desire of listening to a single line, after all it's only dumb useless exposition between me and the omniscient gps. ironic how once i faced the rare occurrence of it being vague (like in some quests or when doing acheology) it feels annoying and out of place.
i can keep sort of larping for a while, i'm probably going to feel better once i go back to skyrim and vvandemorrowind whatsitsname (holy crap the map is microscopic) for the nostalgia effect, but once the self-made fun wears off, i'm going to be left with nothing else. not even going soul hunting makes sense, it's a money sink and there's only one size of gems, while there's three sizes of mobs: pushovers, pushovers with more hp and "you need a full army for this one".

Late Bloomer

Scholar
They are on this 12 hourish maintenance upgrading their servers from 2012... heh

In most cases, we are still running on 2012-era server hardware and it needs to be updated before components start failing more than they are.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/604073/

i got this on the last day of latest sale, and all it did was making me want to play skyrim instead. all this game has to offer is the progress-quest syndrome, and even that it's just limited to your skills, because nothing else matters. i haven't spent a single stat point (wow, 100 points more in front of the base 20000 i already have, totally gamechanging), i barely upgraded a bunch of class skills, i see no reason to not go mono-builds (and only very very rare few passives are of any usefulness), and i feel like i've been doing *more* and more damage actually. mobs are only visually distinct, once you have a ranged weapon you stop even caring if they're the "chase you" or "you chase" kind. i haven't felt the desire of listening to a single line, after all it's only dumb useless exposition between me and the omniscient gps. ironic how once i faced the rare occurrence of it being vague (like in some quests or when doing acheology) it feels annoying and out of place.
i can keep sort of larping for a while, i'm probably going to feel better once i go back to skyrim and vvandemorrowind whatsitsname (holy crap the map is microscopic) for the nostalgia effect, but once the self-made fun wears off, i'm going to be left with nothing else. not even going soul hunting makes sense, it's a money sink and there's only one size of gems, while there's three sizes of mobs: pushovers, pushovers with more hp and "you need a full army for this one".

Were you able to get your moneys worth? I am really into Elder Scrolls lore so that certainly helped my enjoyment of ESO. The only real complaint I have is the combat. Its very one dimensional. Super twitchy too. In regards to combat most classes play very similiar to one another. I found the Necromancer a nice change of pace if you spec wildly. But i still prefer old school EQ boring mechanics, or super tight controls like WoW or even FF14. ESO combat is a hot mess. But yeah, the lore was a real pleasure to experience when they werent patting themselves on the back with how progressive they are. I am looking forward to the Breton High Isle expansion coming up.

see why level scaling is the bane of any kind of fun? i just repelled the god of war and battle and violence and destruction and vandalism. spamming a flaming skull. and all i got was some pauldrons and a fistful of coins. this is even dumber than swtor "you might be the right hand of the god-emperor and grey eminence of the galaxy, but this won't give you access to a single dime more and you still have to buy your guns".

i finally understood why this game is still so popular: the absolute, total, complete lack of any challenge. 99,99% of the content can be done by holding down attack button. use of skills is only to shorten the time required. you don't actually play the game, you spend time with an interactive screensaver minding your own business and sometimes look at the screen where some number just went up. you're never disturbed or distracted while you effortlessly collect skins and more numbers.
it's the distilled ubisoft experience, which doesn't get old because you're not doing anything at all. you can't grow bored of not-doing something.

jackofshadows

Magister
Aren't there veteran level dungeons/raids which required min-maxing and player performance when I was playing not to mention PvP?

ADL

Prophet
Level scaling would be fine if we had some sort of difficulty slider mechanic to keep up with the power creep. It's nice having every bit of content ever to be released still be relevant and viable now. Besides having a combat system overhaul that gets rid of the animation cancelling bullshit, "veteran overland" is the second most requested thing in the game right now.
Aren't there veteran level dungeons/raids which required min-maxing and player performance when I was playing not to mention PvP?
Veteran mode instanced content (dungeons, trials, arenas) are the only remotely challenging content in the game and I'd say it accounts for <1% of everything the game has.

Tel Velothi

Cipher
I just tried this game for a few hours but it seemed too easy and really not that interesting :( And I'm a huge TES fan. Should I battle on or pass? Never played an MMORPG.

P.S. I really like they added Vvardenfell

jackofshadows

Magister
I think it's better to find a game with a good story/quests, because as you said - playing MMO without real people is not the most interesting idea.
Well, the irony is that it was actually designed like that - to be able to play it solo, like a single player game too. But they've butchered that initial idea with global scaling which turned difficulty into total joke, see replies above here. So, unless you're a massive lore-junkie most probably you'll be bored out of your mind very soon. Which is a shame, because I recall some really decent quests there, much better than say in Skyrim/Oblivion. Not gameplay-wise but rather thanks to characters, dialogues etc. Sheogorath, for instance.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
No friends, even IRL unfortunately. Ok, man, so thx, I think it's better to find a game with a good story/quests, because as you said - playing MMO without real people is not the most interesting idea.

I find the game to be a pleasure to play solo. About 95% of the game can be done that way now. I actually enjoyed the big overhaul they did with One Tamriel a number of years ago. No matter which zone you feel like questing in, there is always something to do. I agree in part with jackofshadows in that the main appeal is the lore. There is some excellent lore for any Elder Scrolls lore nerd. The sour spot for me is the combat. It is a real spazzfest. The music is fantastic. They have some mage tower style challenges for solo play that are fairly difficult depending on your build. Soloing newer dungeons can be a real challenge too. But the overland content can be a real cakewalk. Although, most overland zones have several Word Bosses. Try soloing them for an extra challenge. The champion point system is fairly well done too.

Maybe you will be able to find some fun in ESO like I did. It took me a few failed attempts over the years before I found a nice groove with the game. I would reccommed the Morrowind or Blackwood starting points for your first adventure story. I plan on giving High Isle a try. Some Breton lore sound good right about now.

Word Bosses. Try soloing them for an extra challenge.
sorry man, you're giving false informations.
world bosses can't be done by common people, they can be soloed only by level 1000+ champions. earlier only by those selected classes+builds with equipment they can't get by themselves anyway.
99% of this game content can be done blindfolded. quite literally so. the remaining 1% needs a team.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
sorry man, you're giving false informations.
world bosses can't be done by common people, they can be soloed only by level 1000+ champions. earlier only by those selected classes+builds with equipment they can't get by themselves anyway.
99% of this game content can be done blindfolded. quite literally so. the remaining 1% needs a team.

False. Thats a you thing sadly. 1000 Champion Points or selected class builds? You have got to be kidding. You must think I am talking about Harrowstorms or Dragons of Elsweyr or something.

Gerrard

Arcane
Most world bosses in the base game can be easily soloed nowadays. Despite the game never raising level cap the power creep is really significant, I remember that when I started playing 40K DPS was like the top of the meta build thing.
I even did some base game dungeons on veteran mode solo on my shitty characters that are nowhere near to being decked out. It's honestly weird they haven't added a "Story mode" to the dungeons yet, since they have the companion system already in place. Nothing would be lost.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Most world bosses in the base game can be easily soloed nowadays. Despite the game never raising level cap the power creep is really significant, I remember that when I started playing 40K DPS was like the top of the meta build thing.
I even did some base game dungeons on veteran mode solo on my shitty characters that are nowhere near to being decked out. It's honestly weird they haven't added a "Story mode" to the dungeons yet, since they have the companion system already in place. Nothing would be lost.
FFXIV trust system works flawlessly, but their dungeons are corridors and the class roles very defined. ESO would require some more work to implement and balance but your right, it's a logical step for them, especially considering how bad their LFG tools are.

ADL

Prophet
Just logged in to check out some of the new graphical features and it reminded me how much I hate overland difficulty as currently implemented. I'm not buying another chapter until they increase the difficulty. Especially when the questing is just me riding between quest markers and killing my target instantly. This game is supposed to benefit from horizontal progression and make everything viable but by the time you hit CP300 you're a walking demigod outside of instanced veteran content.
WCCFTech Interview said:
Alessio: The final question is kind of a pet peeve of mine. I love the questing in The Elder Scrolls Online and I've often compared it even to single player RPGs for its quality, but there is a downside that lots of players have been discussing on Reddit and other forums. That's the difficulty level of questing, story, and Overland content; it's just too low even if you are not fully decked in Trial gear. So my question is, did you consider adding an optional Veteran-like mode for those who'd like to play, for example, the storylines or even Overland content with a greater level of challenge?

Rich Lambert: That's a difficult one because difficulty is definitely subjective. We have millions of players that play The Elder Scrolls Online, and a large portion of them find the game hard and the Overland content challenging, especially as a new player when you don't have gold, all the gear, and Champion Points. Ultimately it comes down to, if we make the game harder, what are the incentives for players to play it at the harder level? That opens up a whole huge can of worms. I also look back and remember we had harder Overland content. We had Cadwell Silver, we had Cadwell Gold, and players really didn't like it. It was too hard for them, and when we did One Tamriel, we ripped all that out based on player feedback. Like, nobody did it. So it's a challenging subject and a difficult question to answer. All I can really say is we're definitely looking at it, but we don't have any major changes planned for the Overland difficulty.

Alessio: did see that there is a pinned Overland content topic on the official forums where you are gathering feedback, right?

Rich Lambert: Yeah. It comes up pretty often. It is definitely a hot topic right now.

Alessio: Okay. Well, I do hope there will eventually be an optional harder difficulty level for those who'd like that kind of challenge even while questing.

Rich Lambert: Noted!

Citing Cadwell silver/gold as the equivalent of veteran overland and people 'not liking it' is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Even if it was, that was eight years ago before One Tamriel and exponential power creep. Doesn't seem like the community is too happy with High Isle. They need to do something big for 2023 because a fucking card game should have never been the "big feature".

ADL

Prophet
They're doing an event where if you own High Isle (conveniently on sale 50% off), you'll get a bunch of things for free including the Q4 DLC (druid-themed) which normally sells for $20

Dr1f7

Scholar
you have to be "high isle" to play this 'game' lmao
nJAyQXc.jpeg

Seethe

Arbiter
Is this game still a weave light attacks spam 4 second buffs mess combat wise?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom