Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls The Elder Scrolls VI - officially announced but you'll have to wait

Guess the Province/Location

• Hammerfell

• High Rock

• Valenwood

• Elsweyr

• Black Marsh

• Summerset Isle

• Daggerfall

• Akavir (kingcomrade)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Active combat just like Skyrim but less clunky

Confirmed fake

Also, they wouldn't dare limit skill trees to specific races in current political climate. It will be a miracle if they even call races races, and not some bullshit like "kin" or "heritage".

ADL

Prophet
The Elder Scrolls 76 confirmed
"We wanted to make something different, but the audience doesn't always want something different. And that's no fault of theirs, it's totally understandable. I think maybe we did a bad job of saying how different it was going to be."

Bethesda aimed to make a very systemic game, where players brought more to the table than they did with past Fallouts or the Elder Scrolls games. Since launch, the team has introduced more NPCs and expansions such as the recent Wastelanders have enabled players to enjoy it in much the same way as they would a classic Fallout game.

But there's no denying the launch was bumpy to say the least. Few live service titles have recovered from a rocky launch, but Fallout 76 has arguably established itself as one of them. Of course, Howard notes his team could take learnings from the struggles their colleagues at ZeniMax Online faced with the Elder Scrolls MMO. And, crucially, the players refused to let Fallout 76 die.

"Ultimately, despite the issues and the very well-deserved criticism we got, there were a lot of people playing," says Howard. "Not on the scale of a regular Fallout, but millions of people that told us there was something here, so let's keep at it. I'm hugely proud of the team who worked on the game and month after month made it better. I don't think there's a magic formula without having the discipline to go through the work. Without that community out there making this game their own and really believing in us, I don't know that we would have gotten to where we are."
Howard is now focused on Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6, both single-player games, but doesn't rule out the prospect of another multiplayer-only Bethesda open world game. In future, he would do more extensive beta testing, rather than building something that most people experience first at launch.

"Overall, it's been a really positive experience for us," he says of Fallout 76. "It's made us much better developers, much more connected with our community. So I can't say it's going to be a one-off."
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...arfield-todd-howard-and-the-story-of-bethesda

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I can't wait to see this game! My theory has always been that Bethesda games suck, but not because they are incompetent or lazy or stupid. They suck because Bethesda can get away with it and millions of people buy it anyway. There isn't even that much backlash! They release a game that is so buggy, dragons flying backwards and people falling through the world, corrupt saves, quests not triggering etc... etc... It also looked like shit imnsho, pre mods anyway, but they got away with it! And now they are billionaires! So I've been braced for a race to the bottom for ages, but now there is BG3 with co-op and way more depth than Skyshit, Watch Dogs 3 with the "infinite characters" idea and many others, Cyberspunk 2020, etc. Many others. I just don't think they can get away with their usual sub-par shit anymore. Things are hotting up. The same is true for GTA6, people compare these zomg-open-werld gaming extravaganzas to each other now. So yeah I think Bethesda might push the boat out this time. Probably gonna be a really small rickety boat though.

ADL

Prophet
They already have TESO.
I'm convinced ESO is already in maintenance mode with a skeleton crew attached to it. Zenimax Online's A-team has been working on their next gen MMO for a couple years now and they're building a whole new engine for whatever that is. Content for ESO is still being put out on a quarterly basis and they're putting out a next gen patch that'll make the game look better (PC included) but they've pretty much given up on fixing the stuff people were bitching about five years ago.

Edit: Here you go.
https://www.windowscentral.com/zenimax-online-studios-new-engine-aaa-ip

Last edited:
I just don't think they can get away with their usual sub-par shit anymore.

They can, and they will, if they keep the same engine and the best in the industry modding tools. Ironically, making ES6 fully multiplayer would hurt its long time sales.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Wasn't CDPR supposed to release the mod tools for W3? What the hell happened? Because if they released those then the mods would have rivaled and surpassed those for TES. In time anyway. W3 would have replaced Skyrim (yeah, I know, high marks here) as one of the <insert plwb levels of appreciation here>. And it would have been quite the hurdle for Bethesda to overcome.
Imagine if they release a mod kit for CP2077. Microsoft might acquire CDPR next and hire Todd as the janitor and Pete as the doorman.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
They already have TESO.
I'm convinced ESO is already in maintenance mode with a skeleton crew attached to it. Zenimax Online's A-team has been working on their next gen MMO for a couple years now and they're building a whole new engine for whatever that is. Content for ESO is still being put out on a quarterly basis and they're putting out a next gen patch that'll make the game look better (PC included) but they've pretty much given up on fixing the stuff people were bitching about five years ago.

Has there been any MMO for which part II was more successful than part? I only see FF14. But since EverQuest 2, it was pretty clear that making sequels in the MMO space is not the way to go.

Avarize

Magister
They already have TESO.

Has there been any MMO for which part II was more successful than part? I only see FF14. But since EverQuest 2, it was pretty clear that making sequels in the MMO space is not the way to go.
Guild Wars 2 maybe?

4r14dn3

Literate
The Elder Cocks VI: Young Pussy

Are you a 10 year old?

If you get to be 42 and single, you'll understand.

I'm 43 and single.
Lol, you guys should hook up.
Has there been any MMO for which part II was more successful than part?
I'm not sure, but wasn't Funcom's second Conan MMO more successful than the first? I also think Planetside 2 gathered a bigger audience than the first one.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
So yeah I think Bethesda might push the boat out this time.
Life didn't teach you anything. Expecting good game from Shittesda is like expecting a tan from standing in the English rain.
I doubt 'good', but I think another janky Skyrim could put them out of business. You gotta remember how sheeplike and call-out-culture-ish the modern gamer is. All they need is "OMG NU FALLOUTS SUCK AND NOW NU SKYRIM SUCKS TOO OMG BETHESDA SUCKS OMG!" that could easily catch on all over social media. Since Skyrim, people will have played RDR2, Watch Dogs 2 and 3, and a bunch of others... All trying at least a bit to innovate and stay somewhat competitive with the other huge ermagerd open werld games.

So the bar is a bit higher this time, and I don't think they will get away with going under it this time.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Since Skyrim, people will have played RDR2, Watch Dogs 2 and 3, and a bunch of others...

Skyrim is still better than all those you mentioned. Technically/production value wise, perhaps no, but as a game definitely yes.

Bethesda will be fine, their next games are going to be raging successes. There is no proper competition to real openworld CRPGs anyway.

Last edited:

Farewell into the night

The Hebrew word Beth hesda means “house of mercy” or “house of grace.” In Hebrew and Aramaic it could also mean “shame” or “disgrace.”
- the internet.

ADL

Prophet
Skyrim is still better than all those you mentioned. Technically/production value wise, perhaps no, but as a game definitely yes.

Bethesda will be fine, their next games are going to be raging successes. There is no proper competition to real openworld CRPGs anyway.
Modding and first person perspective aside, No Man's Sky and Assassin's Creed Odyssey with their emphasis on exploration have completely supplemented what I enjoyed about Bethesda's early titles (NMS specifically=Daggerfall). The Outer Wilds was a great little exploration game too.

You can't put a million cheese wheels in a house but I never gave a fuck about that.
bxgRbcN.png

You're right that they'll be fine no matter how shitty those games are but I'm just happy I can finally get a comparable experience and enjoy myself in games that are actually fun and good.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Since Skyrim, people will have played RDR2, Watch Dogs 2 and 3, and a bunch of others...

I doubt you've played WD3 and I'm also talking about stuff like Witcher 3, RDR2, WD2, Outer worlds, Chad Simulator, etc. Skyrim came out before most of these games which have already done a better job. And ES6 wont be out until late 2021 or 2022 so by that time it needs to be a real step up because it needs to be better than these current/recent ones, and it needs to be better than Cyberpunk 2020, Baldur's Gate 3, etc. too. I don't think Skyrim 2 is gonna cut it.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
"The stuff we're doing now, we're pushing procedural generation further than we have in a very, very long time"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom