Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls The Elder Scrolls VI - officially announced but you'll have to wait

Guess the Province/Location

• Hammerfell

• High Rock

• Valenwood

• Elsweyr

• Black Marsh

• Summerset Isle

• Daggerfall

• Akavir (kingcomrade)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
"Oh look, I can pick up this dinner plate for no reason. This is a good game"

Oh, you also have played this great game called Ultima VII :D?

I'd gladly sacrifice being able to pick up a million cheese wheels and put them into a house for upvotes on /r/elderscrollsmemes if it meant getting a more stable game with better performance that didn't feel 10-15 years out of date.

Yeah, cause that's what makes a game real fun, stability and good performance.

"Oh look, I can pick up this dinner plate for no reason. This is a good game"

Yes, because these things enable some gameplay that maybe designers didn't even expect, like the early bug in skyrim with a bucket on the NPC's head. Doesn't make the game good as such, but could make it more interesting than just a regular Ubisoft-like theme park.

Xeon

Augur
Don't care about picking up items and manipulating them, I think Larian have similar schtick. But I am mostly interested in the mods, so far I think out of all games, Beth games are the most moddable and its mostly to their engine I think (I know jack). So if they change the engine and that led to them restricting modding that will kill my enjoyment of their games.

So to me, if changing engine changes the modablity then I hope they continue updating that shit but if they can offer as much moddabilty even with an advanced engine then I am all for it.

Could make it more interesting than just a regular Ubisoft-like theme park.
If these are the only two choices, I'm finding a new hobby.

I have some bad news for you. If we're talking about open world games you can either have a game that gives you tools but you're in charge of making it fun, or a game where you're railroaded from one awesome button to the next.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Why the hell are there more stuff for TES even tho Pete Hines said it will come out much later than Starfield and that game still have nothing for it yet.
According to rumors Starfield is basically stuck in development hell. I don't put much stock in them, but imo it's probably true in the sense that BGS is just not competent enough to actually be able to make a game that is different from their usual hiking simulator.
I'm not sure if they're even able to make a ES hiking simulator that uses today's technology. Gamebryo from Skyrim isn't going to cut it on the PS5 and Xbox4

Gamebryo is the only thing that keeps those games interesting, it gives them some sort of roguelike charm when every object can be picked up and there's even some rudimentary physics engine. No other engine that I'm aware of can support so many interactable objects in the scene, and for sure there are no comparable tools for any other engine to set those scenes up.
But it's not 2011 anymore and a new Elder Scrolls game will have to look as good as other modern games even while delivering Skyrim style object interactions, or the game will be ridiculed. If Bethsoft doesn't have the technical skill to either upgrade Gamebryo or write a new engine in the same style, they can't make a new AAA game.

Why the hell are there more stuff for TES even tho Pete Hines said it will come out much later than Starfield and that game still have nothing for it yet.
According to rumors Starfield is basically stuck in development hell. I don't put much stock in them, but imo it's probably true in the sense that BGS is just not competent enough to actually be able to make a game that is different from their usual hiking simulator.
I'm not sure if they're even able to make a ES hiking simulator that uses today's technology. Gamebryo from Skyrim isn't going to cut it on the PS5 and Xbox4

Gamebryo is the only thing that keeps those games interesting, it gives them some sort of roguelike charm when every object can be picked up and there's even some rudimentary physics engine. No other engine that I'm aware of can support so many interactable objects in the scene, and for sure there are no comparable tools for any other engine to set those scenes up.
But it's not 2011 anymore and a new Elder Scrolls game will have to look as good as other modern games even while delivering Skyrim style object interactions, or the game will be ridiculed. If Bethsoft doesn't have the technical skill to either upgrade Gamebryo or write a new engine in the same style, they can't make a new AAA game.

They could just slap ray tracing on the Fallout 4 version of the engine and put some extra post-processing magic onto the "gameplay" trailers.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I'd gladly sacrifice being able to pick up a million cheese wheels and put them into a house for upvotes on /r/elderscrollsmemes if it meant getting a more stable game with better performance that didn't feel 10-15 years out of date.
there is a ton of "stable" games, but only a few where you can stack cheese wheels and interact with the environment.

Communist

Prospernaut
Possibly Retarded
There is a lot of talk about graphics here, but graphics are often created using "smoke and mirrors". Without proper lighting, Skyrim looks ugly, as ugly as Oblivion.
What struck me the most about Skyrim? These are animations and control of your character. Morrowind had ugly animations, everyone walked like they had a big and straight stick up their ass. In Oblivion, your playable character was controlled like a doll on strings, it was really difficult to play.
In Fallout 3 and Skyrim, they fixed most of the issues, although imation remained the biggest issue in Bethesda's RPGs. I will say right away that I have not played Fallout 4, and I do not know how they solved the problem with animations in this game.

Another big problem I've noticed since Skyrim is that Skyrim has been harder to modify than Morrowind and Oblivion. Skyrim uses a lot of tricks to update the old engine. Bethesda needs to do something to keep their games as community-friendly as ever.
I'm afraid to say this (because it may turn out to be true), but I think that they also came up with the Creation Club due to the fact that the prospects for modding their games have become and will become more and more difficult.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
‘Elder Scrolls’ Update Imminent: Todd Howard’s Tracks Suggest His Blood Loss Is Slowing Him Down Too Much To Continue Outrunning Us

Today 11:40AM
fbmbmxbt2vsuwrijrqtt.jpg

Good tidings, Elder Scrolls fans! It’s been almost a decade since the last release in Bethesda’s beloved fantasy series, but it seems some cool new tidbits about the hotly anticipated sixth installment are just around the bend! Our hounds have been stalking series director Todd Howard through the evening, day in and day out, for nearly a full fortnight, and the tracks from his blood loss suggest he’s slowing down far too quickly to ever outrun us.

These woods are deep and treacherous, gamers. Mr. Howard will not continue long with his broken leg—not without telling us everything he knows about where, exactly, Elder Scrolls VI will take place on the continent of Tamriel. Wily and stout though Todd Howard may be, we all have our breaking points, and that means a new trove of information on the next Elder Scrolls is undoubtedly on the way.

Admittedly, Howard evaded our scouts at the frozen river junction. He deftly navigated through our bear traps in the prairie frost. But judging by the stained bandages we found hastily discarded in the snow, Howard is beginning to succumb to the elements. Soon, his mind will turn on him, and then he will tell us all he knows about the supposed customizable runic magic system and how that will impact the core gameplay experience beloved by Elder Scrolls fans the world over!

Frostbite can be painful, indeed, gaming fans. Eventually, a man may decide the simpler path than fleeing is simply confessing the exact details of what roll the Aldmeri Dominion could play in the new game’s narrative, or if any new joinable factions like the Dawnguard will figure into all of this. Boy, these sure are exciting days to be an open-world fantasy diehard!

To be frank, there were times during our hunt that we feared we would never be able to tell you whether we might see the rebuilt Orsinium, or if dragons might make a reappearance from Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Howard is a worthy prey, indeed. He has often thrown us off his track with false footprints and brush coverings. But this delicious game of cat-and-mouse is coming to an end. Our bloodhounds have picked up his scent for the last time. He is hungry and alone.

It is only a matter of time, gamers.

Last edited:

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
I saw that there are rumours now that Starfield may release this year. I think when they manage to release it this or next year, TES 6 is likely to be out 2025. At least I hope so.

ferratilis

Magister
https://www.pcgamer.com/3-years-aft...nced-todd-howard-is-thinking-about-making-it/
3 years after The Elder Scrolls 6 was announced, Todd Howard is thinking about making it
"I have to be careful what I say—it's a very long way off," Howard said at the time. "I could sit here and explain the game to you, and you would say, 'That sounds like you don't even have the technology—how long is that going to take?' And so it's something that's going to take a lot of time, what we have in mind for that game."

The Telegraph, Howard said Bethesda is still working on the technology that the new Elder Scrolls game will demand.

"It’s good to think of The Elder Scrolls 6 as still being in a design [phase]," Howard said. "But we’re checking the tech: 'Is this going to handle the things we want to do in that game?' Every game will have some new suites of technology so Elder Scrolls 6 will have some additions on to Creation Engine 2 that that game is going to require."

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Unless they were willing to create a B-team and relegate TES6 to them, like Bioware did with Andromeda, it was always clear they'd start working on it only after they patch up F76 and finish Starfield. Totally unshocking news.

As is it seems like a weird statement since a couple years ago they showed a little footage of them working on environments and making that model of that old lady that streams Elder Scrolls games, but that statement doesn't even make it sound like they're at that point yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom