Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls The Elder Scrolls VI - officially announced but you'll have to wait

Guess the Province/Location

• Hammerfell

• High Rock

• Valenwood

• Elsweyr

• Black Marsh

• Summerset Isle

• Daggerfall

• Akavir (kingcomrade)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is this legit?
ICwDD8K.jpg
I'm trying to figure out any way in which it would matter if it was or wasn't.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
The mods though, the bodyslide and all the others.....yeeee...I'll get to the story eventually, maybe, just enough to unlock new features or whatever.

copebot

Learned
Why would a big company release a single player game nowadays? It doesn't make sense.

That's easy: to sell Gamepass and DLC. ESVI will move tens of millions of subscriptions and help to retain the tens of millions already subscribed. Multiplayer games are also much tougher to execute well on.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Disclaimer: I like Redguards and play a Redguard character since Arena.

I can't get over the stupid Aladdin swords redguards have, it's bizarre too considering rest of the weapons are mostly low key. Skyrim in particular has fairly down to earth swords then you have this "scimitar" that looks like its from caricature of a cartoon.

KateMicucci

Arcane

I can't get over the stupid Aladdin swords redguards have, it's bizarre too considering rest of the weapons are mostly low key. Skyrim in particular has fairly down to earth swords then you have this "scimitar" that looks like its from caricature of a cartoon.
The redguard swords aren't any less realistic than any of the other low-tier weapons. But I agree that thinner style scimitars would have been more aesthetically pleasing.

FreeKaner

The redguard swords aren't any less realistic than any of the other low-tier weapons. But I agree that thinner style scimitars would have been more aesthetically pleasing.

I mean is it really? Mind you I am never looking for exact realism as if to make digital replicas of historical weapons, especially not in fantasy settings. However two things are important, aesthetics and coherence. Coherence in relation to general theme being worked in.

the-einar-medieval-viking-sword-medieval-weapon-1338.jpg

The left is a vaguely accurate looking though still a bit fantasy Scandinavian sword with generic medieval look, right is a sword from game. Is it exactly the same? Not really no but it generally conforms to basic principles while being coherent, still a fantasy weapon and that's fine.

Now look at this:

63cc379152fddeaf57b834985f565664.jpg

It's not even conforming to anything on the right aside from being curved. It's just a low detail caricature of a caricature.

I am also a bit baffled by general presence of this Aladdin sword everywhere, including stuff like Indiana Jones while not existing in reality anywhere, certainly not the cultures in games that tend to be based off vaguely "middle-eastern" themes. So I just immediately notice it and get bothered by it.

In other words, realism is not important but aesthetics and coherence are.

FreeKaner

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dc/Imperial_Armoury_Topkapi_Istanbul_(7).JPG

The handle and handguard look pretty bad I guess but there are real scimitars that thick.

It's not about thickness per se, thick "scimitars" are very rare but they may be included in fantasy. It's the shape, with the edge on the front extending forward while the back raises into another curve. Look at the sabres in your image, none of it has that second back curve. It seems like a misrepresentation of the raised false edge. The Aladdin sword is a shape that doesn't correspond to any reality or sensibility yet there is no shape as commonly present in media as that one for "middle-eastern curved sword."

Scimitars-in-the-middle-ages2.jpg

Don't know who the guys fighting are supposed to be.

They look like badly drawn falchions and indeed I think these medieval drawings were what this shape was based on.

Last edited:

KateMicucci

Arcane
My son's dad works for nintendo and he told me about what has been decided in the TESVI preproduction meetings.

-Combat now has timed counters/ripostes and directional attacks.
-You can do a short directional dodge like in Doom Eternal. The number of charges/cooldown is determined by Agility skill.
-They're dropping the two-hand system. Spellcasting has a dedicated button again like Oblivion. Two weapon wielding is still in.
-There is limb/head/torso damage like in Fallout 4 but nothing similar to VATS is planned.
-Spears are in. Spears don't power attack but "brace" if you hold the attack button down so the attack animation plays automatically when enemies are in range.
-Crossbows are in at every materials tier.
-Mounted combat is going to be a big part of the game. You can ride horses and camels and certain other creatures, and so can enemies.
-Most of the shouts from skyrim are now in as spell effects.
-Wands/staffs work differently now. Holding a wand/staff instead of a normal weapon increases the power of your spells. But they have limited charge. You can hit people with them but they do less damage than a normal weapon.
-The soul gem system is going to be overhauled. Not sure how. It's felt that making the player constantly go into their inventory to pick soul gems for recharging weapons interrupts gameplay too much.
-They also want to clean up potion bloat in inventory. Instead of alchemy affecting intensity/duration of potions, it will gate which potions you can brew. There will be special recipes you can find as loot.
-Enchantments will be similar. Instead of increasing intensity the Enchanting skill gates which effects can be picked from a preset list. Each effect will require certain items in addition to the soul gem. Again there will be secret enchanting "recipes" you can find.
-Dungeons now have obstacles like climbable walls, chasms that need to be jumped, or piles of rocks that need to be moved. Your Agility or Athletics skills gate these. You can either boost Agility or Athletics skills or use Levitation spells, potions or enchantments.
-The lockpick minigame is gone and lockpicks aren't a separate item anymore.
-Perks selection works like it did in Fallout 3.
-The game is set in Hammerfell. The concept art looks like Wakanda/desert depending on the area. The desert areas look either egyptian or arabian nights.
-There will be lots of pyramid/tomb dungeons with mummies that look like drauger. Their heads/arms can come off if damaged and they will keep attacking.
-The Dwarven material tier looks bronze age/ancient egyptian themed now. I think the mummies are supposed to be some kind of dwarves.
-New enemies are sphinxes, gorillas, alligators, hippos, giant snakes, genies and some creatures that look like those egyptian gods with animal heads.

BruceVC

Magister
My son's dad works for nintendo and he told me about what has been decided in the TESVI preproduction meetings.

-Combat now has timed counters/ripostes and directional attacks.
-You can do a short directional dodge like in Doom Eternal. The number of charges/cooldown is determined by Agility skill.
-They're dropping the two-hand system. Spellcasting has a dedicated button again like Oblivion. Two weapon wielding is still in.
-There is limb/head/torso damage like in Fallout 4 but nothing similar to VATS is planned.
-Spears are in. Spears don't power attack but "brace" if you hold the attack button down so the attack animation plays automatically when enemies are in range.
-Crossbows are in at every materials tier.
-Mounted combat is going to be a big part of the game. You can ride horses and camels and certain other creatures, and so can enemies.
-Most of the shouts from skyrim are now in as spell effects.
-Wands/staffs work differently now. Holding a wand/staff instead of a normal weapon increases the power of your spells. But they have limited charge. You can hit people with them but they do less damage than a normal weapon.
-The soul gem system is going to be overhauled. Not sure how. It's felt that making the player constantly go into their inventory to pick soul gems for recharging weapons interrupts gameplay too much.
-They also want to clean up potion bloat in inventory. Instead of alchemy affecting intensity/duration of potions, it will gate which potions you can brew. There will be special recipes you can find as loot.
-Enchantments will be similar. Instead of increasing intensity the Enchanting skill gates which effects can be picked from a preset list. Each effect will require certain items in addition to the soul gem. Again there will be secret enchanting "recipes" you can find.
-Dungeons now have obstacles like climbable walls, chasms that need to be jumped, or piles of rocks that need to be moved. Your Agility or Athletics skills gate these. You can either boost Agility or Athletics skills or use Levitation spells, potions or enchantments.
-The lockpick minigame is gone and lockpicks aren't a separate item anymore.
-Perks selection works like it did in Fallout 3.
-The game is set in Hammerfell. The concept art looks like Wakanda/desert depending on the area. The desert areas look either egyptian or arabian nights.
-There will be lots of pyramid/tomb dungeons with mummies that look like drauger. Their heads/arms can come off if damaged and they will keep attacking.
-The Dwarven material tier looks bronze age/ancient egyptian themed now. I think the mummies are supposed to be some kind of dwarves.
-New enemies are sphinxes, gorillas, alligators, hippos, giant snakes, genies and some creatures that look like those egyptian gods with animal heads.

Wow, what a wealth of information about this anticipated game, thanks for sharing :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom