Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls The Elder Scrolls VI - officially announced but you'll have to wait

Guess the Province/Location

• Hammerfell

• High Rock

• Valenwood

• Elsweyr

• Black Marsh

• Summerset Isle

• Daggerfall

• Akavir (kingcomrade)

Results are only viewable after voting.

typical user

Arbiter
Oh fuck off Todd, you were making shit games for past 10* years. Your next turd is not going to smell any better.

*20 if we consider all those Skyrim rereleases, the only somewhat decent game you clinged for almost a decade.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I would really like to see a new Elder Scrolls game akin to Arena,Daggerfall and even Morrowind,in all their broken,buggy glory.
But given Bethesda's recent "exploits" I am really skeptical that they will be willing to bring back the good old days of Arena and Daggerfall.
Fuck,I am really cynical,but this industry is sheer poison and trash,every day more soulless junk shit out perpetually for the "consooomers".

So much blasphemy against Todd in this thread when new Todd games are always better than previous ones.
On the one hand, this is a patently untrue statement.

Wrong again, Zed Doink of Banville...

Every new Todd game IS better than the last one, because with every massive dose of bullshit that comes from Todd before every game's release, people play that much less of the next game, thus improving the overall experience. In the industry this is called the Molineux Effect.

BruceVC

Magister
1665613825630673.jpg
If this is true I think ES6 could be in the running for the greatest RPG of the last 20 years, imagine Daggerfall but with all the advantages of modern design and features :bounce:

BruceVC

Magister
I would really like to see a new Elder Scrolls game akin to Arena,Daggerfall and even Morrowind,in all their broken,buggy glory.
But given Bethesda's recent "exploits" I am really skeptical that they will be willing to bring back the good old days of Arena and Daggerfall.
Fuck,I am really cynical,but this industry is sheer poison and trash,every day more soulless junk shit out perpetually for the "consooomers".
But lets be positive, lets not be cynical and negative until the game is released?

EvilWolf

Learned
So much blasphemy against Todd in this thread when new Todd games are always better than previous ones.
On the one hand, this is a patently untrue statement.

Wrong again, Zed Doink of Banville...

Every new Todd game IS better than the last one, because with every massive dose of bullshit that comes from Todd before every game's release, people play that much less of the next game, thus improving the overall experience. In the industry this is called the Molineux Effect.
At least Molineux had the out of being 100% figure head of the company, devs would tell him what they were working on and for all he knew it was going to be in the game when it was done. Todd actually actively developed Bethesda games at one point and still talked out of his ass.

EvilWolf

Learned
Wasn't Morrowind Todd's first game where he was actively involved?
Fully in developement, yes. For most of Oblivion too, then he got cutoff. He certainly has his thumb closer to the pulse of the dev team than Molineux did.

Sykar

Arcane
voted with their wallets.

Greed (and financial success) is the death of art & entertainment. I mean art & entertainment in the sense that they have both breadth and depth. Beauty, complexity, variety, ingenuity. One would assume that with millions at their disposal, a developer could satisfy both parts of the potential buyers, both the casual players and those seeking complexity, depth and challenge. But no, it is always one side that ultimately is catered to in entirety. And it is not like financial considerations are much of an issue, once you start having sales in the millions (not to mention dozens of millions) it should actually encourage you to add new and interesting things to your games, instead of just dumbing it all down even more. But like I said, greed. It is not without reason that greed is considered a mortal sin by some religions.
Would you guys recognize or accept that studios like Bethesda make millions because millions of gamers enjoy there games because they fun?

Thats why I buy all and every Bethesda game, I promise you thats the truth. Their is no other reason
full_eat-shit-millions-flies-cant-wrong.jpg

d1nolore

Savant
Whatever it is hope it’s better than Skyrim, Skyrim was trash. I shouldn’t have to wAit years for modding to make Skyrim interesting.

Oblivion despite flaws was ambitious, Skyrim was a snorefest.

With Lillura gone, I feel like I must deliver the RPG truth to the masses:

Every Bethesda game ever made was utter shit.

Arena was inspired by the twin masterpieces of Ultima Underworld and Ultima VII: The Black Gate, and turned out to be an inferior combo of those two.

Daggerfall aimed to leverage the power of procedural generation, but to do this, you have to actually have a ton of procedural systems, ala Dwarf Fortress or NetHack or Terraria. Instead, they procedurally generated empty space the size of Great Britain, populated it sparsely with some cardboard cutout settlements and some passable dungeons. To compensate for the emptiness, they introduced a plethora of bugs.

Morrowind, they gave up procedural generation in spirit, created a more static world, but the procedural ghosts of the past manifested themselves as cardboard NPCs with wikipedia dialogue, copy-pasta dungeons, and a combat system to make a man wish to off himself. For which purpose they introduced cliff racers.

Oblivion, they finally realized that hey, if you have a 3D first person world, you might as well have action combat. So they borrowed some combat ideas from far better games, and completely ruined them. Compensating this time with level scaled rats. You aint seen nothing till you saw a level 50 daedric vermin. And oh god, the oblivion gates. No one cared in the game world, but they were so fucking repetivive, you WISHED for cliff racers now.

Skyrim, they took all the stuff they DIDN'T learn from Oblivion, and made it even BETTER™. The decades of shit writing culminated in their magnum opus of a toddler (get it, TODD-ler) level dream of wanting to be a chosen man-dragon. Babbling some syllable nonsense as you slayed draurgrs left and right using complex left mouse click sequences.

I won't even dive into their necrophilia with the Fallout brand. I will just say Fallout 76...

Bethesda is the one studio that you can never accuse of decline. They were always shit and proud of it.

Chanel Oberlin

Pineapple appreciator
Patron
You're gonna get a broken, buggy mess for sure, it's the only tradition they haven't abandoned.

I'm curious to see how much they can further streamline their games. Not that curious to buy the game but relatively curious.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I would really like to see Akavir explored in detail,but I don't know if Todd will make it happen.
Akavir is supposedly where the dragons came from,so that would be right up his alley.

Codex Year of the Donut
Personally I feel like Japan is over-used setting. Desert African Americans sounds more interesting.
We already have Hammerfell(Daggerfall did both High Rock and Hammerfell).
We also already had a dedicated Hammerfell game. One of the best things Bethesda ever made, owing mostly to the fact that it wasn't an RPG.
Are you referring to Redguard? It's not really a Hammerfell game.
Redguard is actually severely underrated, it's one of the most important entries next to Morrowind if you like TES lore.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Personally I feel like Japan is over-used setting. Desert African Americans sounds more interesting.
We already have Hammerfell(Daggerfall did both High Rock and Hammerfell).
We also already had a dedicated Hammerfell game. One of the best things Bethesda ever made, owing mostly to the fact that it wasn't an RPG.
Are you referring to Redguard? It's not really a Hammerfell game.
Redguard is actually severely underrated, it's one of the most important entries next to Morrowind if you like TES lore.
I remember was even shipped with a comic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom