Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls The Elder Scrolls VI - officially announced but you'll have to wait

Guess the Province/Location

• Hammerfell

• High Rock

• Valenwood

• Elsweyr

• Black Marsh

• Summerset Isle

• Daggerfall

• Akavir (kingcomrade)

Results are only viewable after voting.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Uriel Septim was such an awesome guy.

Seriously Todd,just give us another "oldschool" Elder Scrolls game with heavy focus on dungeon crawling and no shit quest markers like Arena and Daggerfall. Where I can create humongous nuclear custom spells that annihilate everything in sight,instead of the dogshit magic in Skyrim.

Üstad

Arcane

Seriously Todd,just give us another "oldschool" Elder Scrolls game with heavy focus on dungeon crawling and no shit quest markers like Arena and Daggerfall. Where I can create humongous nuclear custom spells that annihilate everything in sight,instead of the dogshit magic in Skyrim.

Imagine Morrowind with complex randomized Daggerfall dungeons.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
b9d8110a2a988fed1c12b53d95d558f676bb5de2ea304d4a1f03c37bf98e0543_1.jpg

They should really have a team remaking Daggerfall. Especially with the amount of time they’re letting go between Elder Scrolls releases. This year (discounting Online and Blades) is going to be year 12 of them not having a Elder Scrolls game, which is kind of crazy given that game specifically and Elder Scrolls as a series is their biggest thing.

Looking at that Hi-Fi Rush game from Tango Studios under Bethesda, they could remake Daggerfall and have it look like a video game version of that Fire and Ice movie and 3D versions of Daggerfall’s sprites and concept art. They could probably have a small team working on something like that, and turn it out in a few years.

Even just from an aesthetic standpoint going back to the pulp fantasy style of the first two games would probably be a smart move. Lately there’s all those AI art “Such and Such as ‘80s Dark Fantasy” things...and I’ve been seeing Skyrim and Oblivion ones on YouTube lately. So there’s people making AI art that’s especially imagining Skyrim and Oblivion looking like Daggerfall.

ADL

Prophet
Starfield will be my personal indicator of whether or not you can ever count on Bethesda to make a game without compass reliant quest design and actual exploration ever again. Having a scanner for landmarks is one thing in the context of sci-fi featuring "planetary surfaces to scale" but pin pointing a quest objective down to the exact location is another. This is supposed to be a game that's all about explorers so having the Skyrim compass to such a degree would be fucking stupid. To be fair, the chances of it happening are higher than ever after Breath of the Wild reminded the big wigs it can be done and players aren't as dumb as they seem to believe.
gay.png
I know.

It would be absurd if they trusted players less than Assassin's Creed and Zelda games do.

Robotigan

Learned
Starfield will be my personal indicator of whether or not you can ever count on Bethesda to make a game without compass reliant quest design
The year is 2330, humanity has explored and settled systems dozens of light years from Earth, compasses haven't been invented yet.

A shame Julian Lefay left Bethesda,as I am very curious of the direction this franchise could've taken with him as director.
If we consider Daggerfall and Battlespire's direction, it would most likely grow on the simulationist aspects and probably evolve into a FP point and click game more than a combat based rpg. Sadly, there's no way to design a game that makes such interactions worthwhile for the player. What do you get from speaking to 1 (one) single goblin? You could get the same interaction by speaking to your local crackhead.

Come to think of it, the radiant quests system might be the only, faint remnant of the world design that Bethesda had for their original vision of TES.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Starfield will be my personal indicator of whether or not you can ever count on Bethesda to make a game without compass reliant quest design and actual exploration ever again.
They can't. It would never get greenlit. Though, in fairness, an interstellar spacefaring civilization is one of the few settings where I could headcanon a quest compass.

But that's besides the point, because they'll never do it again. Games are made for kids first and foremost. Kids have shorter intention spans than ever before. We're not getting Morrowind journals in a AAA game for the forseeable future.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Though, in fairness, an interstellar spacefaring civilization is one of the few settings where I could headcanon a quest compass.
I mean...we have GPS on our phones and we're not a spacefaring civlization. Granted, GPS doesn't point you exactly within millimeters of your destination. Kinda just gets you in the general area which is more than enough anyway.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I think most people who despise quest markers would happily compromise on "it's in this general vicinity, but you still have to keep your eyes peeled".

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I mean...we have GPS on our phones and we're not a spacefaring civlization. Granted, GPS doesn't point you exactly within millimeters of your destination. Kinda just gets you in the general area which is more than enough anyway.
Yeah. When quest markers started, they pinpointed things. A lot of games nowadays just lead you to a giant circle and the objective is "somewhere in here". Still lame compared to visual landmarks and verbal directions, but better than it used to be.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
I think most people who despise quest markers would happily compromise on "it's in this general vicinity, but you still have to keep your eyes peeled".
Vicinity markers are acceptable for locations already marked on your map. Don't like them for undiscovered locations though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom