Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Ending of PST

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
In the ending of PST we know that TNO must serve in the Blood War as punishment for a great crime. But in 4th edition the Blood War is over. So what do you think happened to TNO?

Gord

Arcane
The concept of ending the Blood War seems strangly anticlimatic to me.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
3504993588_19e2f5230a.jpg

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Wait a minute, wat? :retarded:

One more retarded thing in 4th ed D&D. Now the ending doesn't even really make sense "eternal punishment" my ass. :decline:

CrazyLoon

Prophet
Maybe he didn't survive. Correct me if I'm wrong, as it has been a very long time since the last time I played and finished PST, didn't TNO end his immortality when he rejoined with the Transcendent One, which is presumably the canon ending? So it's true, it is entirely possible that he simply died while serving in the Blood War. A half naked, scarred up man with a mace is extremely unlikely to survive long in Baator. Either way, it still sounds rather silly and anticlimactic, for him to die or for the Blood War to end. I guess the designers just couldn't resist the temptation to create shit.

And that doll is pure class. I need it.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
pocahaunted said:
Bee, I am disappoint.

I know what you feel, man. Learn from me, my mistakes, and use that knowledge to become greater than I. That is all I desire.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
CrazyLoon said:
Maybe he didn't survive. Correct me if I'm wrong, as it has been a very long time since the last time I played and finished PST, didn't TNO end his immortality when he rejoined with the Transcendent One, which is presumably the canon ending? So it's true, it is entirely possible that he simply died while serving in the Blood War. A half naked, scarred up man with a mace is extremely unlikely to survive long in Baator. Either way, it still sounds rather silly and anticlimactic, for him to die or for the Blood War to end. I guess the designers just could resist the temptation to create shit.

And that doll is pure class. I need it.

Possible that he died, but at the end of PS:T he was pretty much a demigod already with all those new powers etc he had.

CrazyLoon

Prophet
Yes, with the green sphere and all the memories of his previous incarnations, and supposedly absorbing all of the Transcendent One's energy, would make him absurdly powerful. However, the fact of the matter is, he is no longer an immortal and the Blood War is ended. His only reasonable fate would be death during battle. If he has gotten out alive, it would make his punishment sentence a complete joke.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
True, yeah.

Has there ever been actually plausible theories what that big crime was that TNO at one point did? I know it is never said in the game, but I'm curious what some people might come up with. :)

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I thought him going to the blood war meant he was dead. That was the entire reason for pursuing immortality, after all.

Disconnected

Scholar
CrazyLoon said:
Maybe he didn't survive.

My memory is a little fuzzy on the subject, but I don't think living entities could suffer the fate TNO did. I've always assumed he was dead before ever arriving at the front lines.

As for his ultimate fate, I'm pretty sure the various factions promoted most of their critters from the condemned, so I'm guessing he's probably busy climbing the ranks to godhood of some faction or other.

Either way, it still sounds rather silly and anticlimactic, for him to die or for the Blood War to end.

I dunno about the dying bit. But then, I've always assumed that ending killed him... But we're in complete agreement about the Blood War. According to the Blood War fluff daemons would eated the whole multiverse if it ended, so what happened?

Black Cat

Magister
CrazyLoon said:
Yes, with the green sphere and all the memories of his previous incarnations, and supposedly absorbing all of the Transcendent One's energy, would make him absurdly powerful. However, the fact of the matter is, he is no longer an immortal and the Blood War is ended. His only reasonable fate would be death during battle. If he has gotten out alive, it would make his punishment sentence a complete joke.

Weren't those who fall in the Blood War supossed to be reborn like really weak and low level demons or devils, or am I mixing it up with some other setting about demons fighting devils?

Satan

Educated
but planescape torment isn't 4E, so what the fuck are you talking about

Noddy

Augur
Wait, he could die in the blood war? I thought by restoring his mortality he did die and fighting in the blood war his enternal punishment. How can he die if he's already dead?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
4th Edition's Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide states that Asmodeus killed the power Azuth and consumed his divine essence. He then proceeded to use this power to push the Abyss to the bottom of the Elemental Chaos, thus ending the Blood War with the victory of the Devils (Law). Some question this, though, saying that Asmodeus didn't win the war, but rather ran from it, since the Demons weren't destroyed or enslaved, just "pushed out of the way". Regardless, this explanation only applies to the Forgotten Realms setting; the default 4th edition books are vague as to the Blood War's status, and as a Forgotten Realms deity, Azuth was not present in these.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Xor said:
I thought him going to the blood war meant he was dead. That was the entire reason for pursuing immortality, after all.

I don't know, it has been a while, but I was under the impression that he was in the blood war initially as a mercenary of sorts, then realized just what his afterlife would be like after all the things he had done. Then he encountered Ravel during his service.

Noddy said:
Wait, he could die in the blood war? I thought by restoring his mortality he did die and fighting in the blood war his enternal punishment. How can he die if he's already dead?

Everything can die. Also, I don't think he died during the end scene. Otherwise he should have been a petitioner like a Lemure or a Mane. Which would have made for one hilarious ending cinematic.

At least, that is my understanding.

Noddy

Augur
Everything can die

Dunno about that, i'd have thought it'd need to be alive first. Can a rock die?

I don't know, it has been a while, but I was under the impression that he was in the blood war initially as a mercenary of sorts, then realized just what his afterlife would be like after all the things he had done. Then he encountered Ravel during his service.

May also be making this up, but i remember the good incarnation being a charming trickster in life not a fighter.

Also, I don't think he died during the end scene. Otherwise he should have been a petitioner like a Lemure or a Mane. Which would have made for one hilarious ending cinematic.

How would he have ended up in the blood war if he didn't die? Also how he could still be alive after dieing several thousand times and then having his mortality restored? The more i remember of it, the more i think he has to be dead.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
If TNO died in the Blood War, doesn't that mean he's rotting in the Wall?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom