Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Essence of GÂME?!

hoothoot

Arcane
Patron
Like if you were an anthropologist 100 years from now looking back on the rise of mass entertainment in the gaming sector what would you define as the essence of a game? (Taking for granted your not completely subjugated/exterminated or the mass slaughter of billions of people hasnt fundamentally changed your mind.)

Nowadays you have weaponised open-a-chest and gain exp time sucks, (if it isnt humping the basic fps/strategy format while using this mindfuck scheme) but back when we stood on a wide threshold. A game is a game and this is me injecting bit my own opinion as a foreword but im interested.

What is a game? What makes a good game? What could make a great game?

hoothoot

Arcane
Patron
Its not really that hard of a question(s). Whats your idea of a game? Whats your dream of a game? How you pose all that against your idea of the history of games?

If you wanna get mad cause your lack of imagination or whatever other reason you cant grapple wid these hardcore questions, lol, then:

Ok

hoothoot

Arcane
Patron
A set of rules and limitations established and set forth by one or more people that one or more other people agree to abide by and act within for the sake of entertainment, competition, exercise, etc.

"This is a war universe. That is its nature. There may be other universes based on other principles but ours seems to be based on war and games. All games are basically hostile. Winners and losers."

We went there pretty quickly but its not my fault games seem to be a microcosm of the universe and also, perhaps, the means by which it may be usurped.

:dance:

hoothoot

Arcane
Patron
Gnosticism aside though I wanted to see what people might have imagined (if they were not jewcucked pieces of shit) in the scenario they were given a powerful hand in the guidance of the state of the gaming industry. Got the technology to achieve wild feats right now but mostly (seems to me) it is used to subject people to addict behavior or selling war.

Lemming42

Arcane
Just interactive shit with some kind of visual feedback (even if only text as in a text adventure). Any definition less broad than this ends up leaving something out.

I don't think there are any guaranteed ingredients for a Great Game. There might be some very general ingredients for a great game within a genre, like a great FPS or RTS, but any prescriptive list is bound to fail.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't think there is one. Interactivity is the obvious word, but that's more a definition than an essence. For me the essence of a game would be immersion in a world that isn't mine, but I also need something else because walking sims are boring as fuck. So would tactical combat be the essence as well?

For many I think "competition" would work as the essence, but I have zero interest in that shit and never play online. So... it depends.

Machocruz

Arcane
Just interactive shit with some kind of visual feedback (even if only text as in a text adventure). Any definition less broad than this ends up leaving something out.

Which I see nothing wrong with. Fuck diplomacy. It's not up to a term to be inclusive, it's up to someone or something to qualify itself to fit its definition.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom