Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Evil Within - survival-horror game from Shinji Mikami, published by Bethesda

Well, I guess I like punishing myself because I ended up doing Nightmare difficulty too. Let me tell you boys, chapter 10 on Nightmare was some of the most intense shit ever to me. I was so relieved after I finally got through it.. And now I'm getting raped even more on chapter 11, I've spent most of this chapter having almost no ammo and just stopped on checkpoint that has me start with zero ammo and only 1 crafting part, meaning not even single flash bolt available. This game is a complete asshole, can't wait to take Nightmare to NG+ to finally get my revenge.

Zlaja

Arcane
Both Evil Within 1 & 2 are decent horror themed shooters. Not some masterpieces exactly, but competent. The first game is a bit more atmospheric/weird, while the second game has a bit more polished game mechanics (except stealth which is totally broken and op). Some people like to shit on them in order to try to score "I'm too sofisticated for this stuff" points. Those people are fags.

SumDrunkGuy

Both games had so much potential to be great. Both ended up being mediocre. That was a real shame. I remember I preordered the original and was loving it until it went full retard in the later half.
I remember the 2nd game being more consistent across the board but never reaching the highs of part 1, and therefore it was more forgettable.

toughasnails

TEW's NG+ is immensely satisfying, you basically can get the revenge on encounters where the mobs seemed invincible so that you had to run or avoid them during the first run. For example the long haired lady or the pyramidsafe-heads which in NG+ you can farm from that XP goo (I don't know if their number is limited or if they keep respawning infinitely, I just got bored of it at one point).

I would never try the akumu mod btw, even though I like the game. A game has to have the sort of polish and tightness you get in Platinum's action games for me to even consider that sort of thing and let's be honest TEW isn't even close to that, there's too much jank to it.

TEW's NG+ is immensely satisfying, you basically can get the revenge on encounters where the mobs seemed invincible so that you had to run or avoid them during the first run. For example the long haired lady or the pyramidsafe-heads which in NG+ you can farm from that XP goo (I don't know if their number is limited or if they keep respawning infinitely, I just got bored of it at one point).

Yeah I'm looking forward to that. I just didn't want to do NG+ on Survival, figured it wouldn't be satisfying enough. So here I am getting raped on Nightmare.

SumDrunkGuy

I want Evil Within 3

Just play Resident Evil Remakes 2&3. They are superior. TEW had it's chance and it failed.
Not really, The Evil Within has more than 4 enemy types and solid combat and level design.

The Evil Within is half great, half giant piece of shit. Did they run out of money in the middle of making that thing? Wtf happened? It has nothing on any of the Resident Evil games. God bless Sir Shinji Mikami for his service in helping create arguably the greatest franchise in video gayme history but his solo endeavors, with the exception of Vanquish, were lacking.

It has nothing on any of the Resident Evil games.

I like it better than RE7 or RE8. And definitely better than RE6. Or RE5 too, even though that one is ok in co-op. And now that I think of it, I like it a lot more than both Revelations games too, I couldn't stand those for more than hour. So seems to me there are plenty of RE games that are worse than EW. Worst thing about it to me are the scripted trial and error sequences, which of course become a lot less annoying on second run. And occasional checkpoint before unskippable cutscene, I will never stop hating that. For the most part though it's a solid game, with good pacing and lots of variety.

Last edited:

Curratum

Seeing that this is being active, I am looking for a mildly survival, shooty-horror game, like a mix of RE4 and RE5.

I like managing ammo but still having enough to scrape by if you aim well, I don't want something where I always run away or knife things. Basically, just a tense shooting game with evil things and guns to kill them with, but not full-on speed and all guns blazing, if that makes any sense.

Will either of the two TEW games fit that bill? I never looked into them.

Maybe I should try RE2 or 3? Never touched the remasters of those either.

Wunderbar

Arcane
yes to both.

TEW 1 is basically a RE4 clone with a simplistic stealth. Warning - the game has a kinda shit incoherent level design and quite janky mechanics.
TEW 2 goes more into The Last of Us direction with more open-ended level design. Has significantly less jank, but also less SOVL because it was directed by a dirty gaijin instead of Shinji Mikami.

RE3 remake is a full blown RE4/5 clone where you take down dozens of zombies and mutants with an assault rifle.
RE2 remake is a slower paced survival horror where you must solve puzzles, carefully manage your inventory and conserve supplies. You can't just run around shooting shit willy-nilly.

Sunri

Liturgist
Seeing that this is being active, I am looking for a mildly survival, shooty-horror game, like a mix of RE4 and RE5.

I like managing ammo but still having enough to scrape by if you aim well, I don't want something where I always run away or knife things. Basically, just a tense shooting game with evil things and guns to kill them with, but not full-on speed and all guns blazing, if that makes any sense.

Try evil I the re remakes are more about memorizing location layout and running from enemies.

Curratum

Sounds like I want the RE3 remake, then! A mix of shooty RE4+5 is exactly what I'm looking for. I like some puzzles, but I'll take more action over more puzzles and tighter resources, I think.

Thanks, Wunderbar , you're still one of the people on here whose opinion I trust enough to um... get RE3 off a key site for 7 eur :D

Wunderbar

Arcane
get RE3 off a key site for 7 eur :D
warning, the game is quite short. I beat it in just 5 hours on hardcore difficulty.
No RE4-style unlockables and powerups and guns to grind for in subsequent playthroughs?
there's a bunch of bonus weapons and an infinite ammo powerup, but it's not particularly interesting to unlock.

There are also two unlockable difficulty settings which are kinda good - they feature reshuffled enemy placements and you also get weapons in a slightly different order. However, the game is already short on your first playthrough, on replay you can beat it in just two-three hours. And unlike the original RE3, remake is more linear and has less interesting mechanics to play around.

Curratum

Maybe... at the end of the day I should just... play RE4 or 5 for a few hours until the desire to play something like that goes away... I still haven't played the Untold Stories DLC for 5 that came to Steam years late.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I still haven't played the Untold Stories DLC for 5 that came to Steam years late.
dlcs for RE5 are shit.
Desperate Escape is just 30 minutes of shooting hordes of majini, you'd be better off just playing a few sessions in Mercenaries.
Lost In Nightmares is a 30 minutes long walking simulator with a couple of enemy encounters and a QTE fight against Wesker at the end.

No RE4-style unlockables and powerups and guns to grind for in subsequent playthroughs?

Neither RE2 or RE3 remakes have upgrade systems. Evil Within does. And from the look of it, some of the highest level upgrades are game changing, NG+ should be very different from NG.

toughasnails

Thanks, Wunderbar , you're still one of the people on here whose opinion I trust enough to um... get RE3 off a key site for 7 eur :D
Now stick with it bc you won't be refunding that. Congrats.

TEW had exactly what you asked for, upgrades and revenge mode NG+. It's closest yo to RE4, even the early areas are visually reminiscent of the village from RE4.

Dead Space is another heavily RE4 inspired game, you have tight resource management on higher difficulty as well as p satisfying combat. Again weapon upgrades and NG+ mode for you to go Rambo on everything.

Not RE4 inspired, they actually predate RE4, but Fatal Frame games are survival horrors where you can upgrade your weapon (camera) and unlock new powers. You'll have to use emulator for those bc only the latest one is on PC. I haven't played it but it is considered the weakest, least horror and challenge and most fan service heavy out of whole series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom