Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Evil Within - survival-horror game from Shinji Mikami, published by Bethesda

SumDrunkGuy

I like it better than RE7 or RE8. And definitely better than RE6. Or RE5 too, even though that one is ok in co-op. And now that I think of it, I like it a lot more than both Revelations games too, I couldn't stand those for more than hour. So seems to me there are plenty of RE games that are worse than EW. Worst thing about it to me are the scripted trial and error sequences, which of course become a lot less annoying on second run. And occasional checkpoint before unskippable cutscene, I will never stop hating that. For the most part though it's a solid game, with good pacing and lots of variety.

I'd agree on RE6 if it existed, but RE6 doesn't exist. I reject your reality and substitute my own. After 5 Capcom skipped straight to 7.

SumDrunkGuy

Just play Resident Evil Remakes 2&3. They are superior. TEW had it's chance and it failed.
You found it underwhelming in the waifu department in comparison?

I said the first half was great and at a certain point (it's been too long for me to remember the exact point) the game flies off the rails and turns into a giant piece of shit. The story goes full retard, it turns into a generic ass on-rails shooter. Even visually I remember the game getting progressively uglier. I said it earlier, it's almost like they ran out of money in the middle of making the thing. Nobody in their right mind can say the later missions in that game are even remotely on par with the early ones in terms of quality.

Curratum

Not sure who this is directed to as they're likely on ignore, but I saw Sunri reacting to my posts here and seeing the word "waifu", you have to be replying to him, right? :D

Also, toughasnails how the hell do you have 360 posts, man? I must have seen literally every one of them, and end up in every place you comment, because I could swear you've made a looot more posts! :D

SumDrunkGuy

Not sure who this is directed to as they're likely on ignore, but I saw Sunri reacting to my posts here and seeing the word "waifu", you have to be replying to him, right? :D

Also, toughasnails how the hell do you have 360 posts, man? I must have seen literally every one of them, and end up in every place you comment, because I could swear you've made a looot more posts! :D

Pusscake.

That section with flammable gas in chapter 11, holy shit. What do I even do against those zombies that pop out after I unlock the door? They just rape me, and I have no parts for flash bolt. This is the most tedious part of this run so far.

Ok, as always, I solve the problem in video game right after complaining about it on internet. Complaining is pretty OP. My butthurt was blinding me to obvious solution - give the zombies a run around the room and then return to climb the ladder uninterrupted. Happy to be finally done with this ridiculous chapter. Fucking faggot game making me do the most action packed chapter so far with almost zero ammo. I remember the next one is also pretty action packed, hope I get at least couple ammo drops this time around.

SumDrunkGuy

Ok, as always, I solve the problem in video game right after complaining about it on internet. Complaining is pretty OP. My butthurt was blinding me to obvious solution - give the zombies a run around the room and then return to climb the ladder uninterrupted. Happy to be finally done with this ridiculous chapter. Fucking faggot game making me do the most action packed chapter so far with almost zero ammo. I remember the next one is also pretty action packed, hope I get at least couple ammo drops this time around.

This is the shit I've been talking about the entire time but everybody keeps acting like I'm crazy. I mean I am probably crazy but that doesn't mean I don't know wtf I'm talking about.

Well, chapters 12 and 13 game decided to start giving me ammo again so they were nowhere near as painful. That part in 12 where Sebastian has to get meds for his partner can go fuck itself though, probably died close to 20 times here. The rest was alright.

Curratum

Well, chapters 12 and 13 game decided to start giving me ammo again so they were nowhere near as painful. That part in 12 where Sebastian has to get meds for his partner can go fuck itself though, probably died close to 20 times here. The rest was alright.

That sort of shit is exactly why I'm not playing those games. I died less to the chainsaw psycho in Nightmare of Decay and refunded the thing.

I'm way way too old for this sort of tryhard shit.

I am laddering on Starcraft II with all 3 races after only starting to play RTS games in my 30s about 5 years ago. And I tryharded enough to get all 3 races to Diamond 3, which is supposed to be top 25 percent of players or close to it. Pain is the only thing I know.

Finally, it is done.
D03EA08193AB784A139C9A34125A23FA8148FD80
It actually felt like there were a lot more deaths than that. Chapters 14 and 15 were mostly smooth sailing, except for that very last part with rocket launcher:
1DF4852B69CB20FAE858D7B963BF00F9E0B10AD7
It must've been made harder on Nightmare somehow, because I did it first try on Survival, but now it took about 15 tries. Maybe there's a method to stay consistently accurate during this part but I couldn't figure it out. I'm supposed to shoot rockets at a thing that is constantly wobbling around and that shit seemed purely luck based to me. On top of that they actually give you limited ammo for this, so I ran out of rockets quite a few times.
Anyway, this was quite an experience, felt like one of hardest things I've ever played. Or maybe it's just me getting old. People who actually play this on Akumu are probably absolute lunatics. I'll have to see just how OP I can get in NG+ when I'm in the mood for it.

Last edited:

Zlaja

Arcane

That sort of shit is exactly why I'm not playing those games. I died less to the chainsaw psycho in Nightmare of Decay and refunded the thing.

Dude, he's playing on hard/nightmare difficulty. You don't have to do that. You can play on survivor/normal. Stop being a bitch.

Anyway, this was quite an experience, felt like one of hardest things I've ever played. Or maybe it's just me getting old

It's definitely you getting old (or shit). While The Evil Within games certainly are a challenge on Nightmare difficulty, they aren't THAT fucking hard. Maybe you're just terrible at stealth, or don't have enough patience to proceed slowly through the levels? Anyway, as long you're having fun in the end, who gives a shit if you die a lot.

It's definitely you getting old (or shit). While The Evil Within games certainly are a challenge on Nightmare difficulty, they aren't THAT fucking hard.

I'd say having zero or close to zero ammo and low health for entirety of chapter 11 is THAT fucking hard.

And I know EW2 is not that hard on Nightmare because I played it few years ago, but this game is a lot harder than second one. And not always for good reasons of course, as some parts are just infuriating because of idiotic design.

Last edited:

toughasnails

I died less to the chainsaw psycho in Nightmare of Decay and refunded the thing.
You are supposed to
run towards one of the generators and shoot at them when he's near them. That will stun him and the big weak spot will open up on his back. 3-4 shots from the revolver will kill him, but you can probably deal do it with the shotgun too without having to repeat the process with another generator. It's a bit counterintuitive bc you cannot keep huge distance from him given his speed and you would expect to be hurt yourself by the generator charge.
It's p much a gimmick encounter where you are supposed to to do very specific thing with little space for error. Thankfully it's the only such encounter in the whole game.

Well, killing that Laura cunt with fire harpoons was pretty damn satisfying in NG+ chapter 5. Also game seems to be showering me with green gel now, looks like I'm getting twice the normal amount. Maxed out sprint makes quite a bit of difference too. Tried those brass knuckles game gave me for completion, looks like a cheat item that one shots zombies. Won't be needing that, or that rocket launcher. Fully upgraded regular weapons already are really good.

No upgrade 100% kills nightmare run or else no balls.

Akumu isn't actually that much harder since there's only a small handful of times where you have to truly go balls to the wall and for those the crossbow is very overpowered when upgraded. You can get through half the game almost purely with stealth kills/trick kills and then have hundreds of 16s flash bolts and incendiary bolts that one shot everything.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Akumu is more frustrating than hard, and even then it's mostly frustrating during the action-packed segments where you are trapped in an enclosed arena with dozens of mobs (like the burning house in Chapter 6).

That's exactly the kind of place where you can just say fuck it and spend 6 or so fully upgraded flash bolts to stun lock the whole room for the whole sequence. Which is why (IMO) no upgrade nightmare is a way more interesting difficulty to play on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom