Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Expanded CRPG Book is out!

Don Peste

Arcane
Reminder that psychological health is as important as physical health. For everybody.

lightbane

Arcane
So much autism for one game no-one liked. I would argue that the book barely covers RPGMaker games, or that it considers Disco Elysium a RPG instead of a Visual Novel (or a gamebook at best), but I won't throw a tantrum about it.

A horse of course

So much autism for one game no-one liked. I would argue that the book barely covers RPGMaker games, or that it considers Disco Elysium a RPG instead of a Visual Novel (or a gamebook at best), but I won't throw a tantrum about it.

That's because you don't have any standards or self-respect, as evidenced by your protruding gut.

lightbane

Arcane

That's because you don't have any standards or self-respect, as evidenced by your protruding gut.
Projecting much? I expected a "how much do you lift?" meme, but probably doesn't apply in your case.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
- Missing important games like Adventure Construction Set, Dragon Wars, SpellForce and Boiling Point.
Ping me if you'll ever want to make the next edition. I can write reviews on Paradise Cracked, Cops 2170, X-COM and Black Book.
Thanks, but I think this is really the last edition. I'm collecting feedback and tweaking some stuff, like adding 2 more pages to the RPG Maker article and 2 pages to the MMO & MUD section, but I don't plan to add more game reviews.

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
- Missing important games like Adventure Construction Set, Dragon Wars, SpellForce and Boiling Point.
Ping me if you'll ever want to make the next edition. I can write reviews on Paradise Cracked, Cops 2170, X-COM and Black Book.
Thanks, but I think this is really the last edition. I'm collecting feedback and tweaking some stuff, like adding 2 more pages to the RPG Maker article and 2 pages to the MMO & MUD section, but I don't plan to add more game reviews.

I'm enjoying a lot your tweets about the history of MMOs and niche games in this genre, companheiro. Keep it up.

Don Peste

Arcane
felipepepe removed Arcania from the book. So here is for Digital Preservation.

Don't let them rewrite our History.

dHOnD6W.jpg

Don Peste

Arcane
The book is full of shitty games. But that's just an opinion.

Anyway, the book can be edited and trimmed and re-edited again, of course. I'm not the author. What's important, and what would have been coherent with the preservation preaching, is to keep the removed content somewhere else, e.g. as an additional download.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The book is full of shitty games. But that's just an opinion.

Anyway, the book can be edited and trimmed and re-edited again, of course. I'm not the author. What's important, and what would have been coherent with the preservation preaching, is to keep the removed content somewhere else, e.g. as an additional download.
You can still find the previous versions in many places, from the Internet Archive to Z-Library. I used to keep all of them in the book's blog, but it was confusing people, it wasn't clear which was the latest edition.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh nice, I must have missed the pdf release, but I'll keep an eye on this thread for a reminder when the sales open up.

Thanks for your hard work felipepepe! :salute:

ShaggyMoose

Savant
The PDF is great, but I look forward to having this on my coffee table.

A very minor thing and a bit self serving, but I noticed that the sig you attributed to my review of Elex (SGM) and my identifier in the contributor list are different (SM).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Why has it been removed?
It's a shitty game that was only famous for having the Gothic name, and even that it gone now, Steam just calls it "ArcaniA".

I replaced it for Desktop Dungeons, is a much more interesting title.
Why replace it? It's not like you have limited pages or anything.
Not for the PDF, but for the physical edition I definitely have. And keeping the same content in both makes things a lot easier, as well as helping me control myself and not make a 1,000+ pages book.

Besides, I wrote that review and wasn't a good review, it didn't add anything to the book. Yes, it showed a beloved PC RPG being killed to please mainstream console audiences, but Deus Ex: Invisible War already showed that in 2003 in a much stronger way, same for The Bard's Tale in 2004 and Risen 2 in 2011.

The PDF is great, but I look forward to having this on my coffee table.

A very minor thing and a bit self serving, but I noticed that the sig you attributed to my review of Elex (SGM) and my identifier in the contributor list are different (SM).
My bad will, fix it!

Victor1234

Educated
Fascinating read and very detailed, thanks! Helped me remember the names of some games I played back in the day. :salute:

LukePCS

Literate
New to the forums here. Just found about this wonderful book.

felipepepe: First of all, it was a nice surprise to see that this project was headed by a fellow brazilian, even more so that it has social impact! I'm definetly buying the physical book.

Now, may I ask, is there still time to make changes to the print version? 'Cause I just skimmed through the 3.6a PDF and have a few suggestions:

- Some grey boxes in the Reviews section are titled in a different format than the rest. I noticed some titles are followed by colon (e.g. in Phantasie, in most games that feature a Mods list), while others don't (e.g. in Eye of the Beholder, in Jagged Alliance 2). It is a very minor thing, but shouldn't be much work and will definetly give the book a more polished look.
- The cover gallery at the end deserves a redesign that enphasizes the artwork. It feels weird to see so much wasted space, mainly as one of the book's only full art pages feature... French RPG games, of all things.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom