Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fall of Peter Molyneux

Cadmus

Arcane
Codex: John, why are you such a piece of shit pretend-journalist?
John Walker: I..
Codex: John why don't you shut your dirty fucking mouth and stop sucking SJW cocks?
John Walker: Oh, you see, we really...
Codex: Shut the fuck up, you cunt.

I don't know, guys. I hate that faggot Walker. The interview is fucking horrible BUT at the same time, I like seeing that retard Molyneux getting fucked in the ass. I still remember the articles about Black and White, the bestest most creative game ever. It surely wasn't. I'd like this retarded way of interviewing somebody to be applied to Todd "Retard" Howard, just to see it happen, you know? The problem with the interview is that he has no actual questions about anything, maybe about the downsizing of the development team. The rest of it is just to hear Peter admit to being a conman which he won't, nobody ever will admit to being a fucking loser asshole has-been. This makes the interview just a click bait hit piece, even excluding the shit tone and the retarded opening.

I would actually like to read a better structured interview with some of the big boy PR assholes like Todd...but about what? "HEY TODD, WHY IS YOUR GAME SUCH A FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT?" Todd: Well you see, we remained true to our roots while streamlining the player experience.

What the fuck is that good for? It would be better to grill them real hard during the Alpha presentation, instead of when the sales started declining after 6 months.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Schafer reaction is hilarious, the fear of him being next is palpable. He never cared about Molyneux and all of sudden this defense of him. I guess con men stick together.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Schafer reaction is hilarious, the fear of him being next is palpable. He never cared about Molyneux and all of sudden this defense of him. I guess con men stick together.
LOL, he won't be the next because he delivers a decent adventure game, and he is not lying for decades now. Thinking that he only stood up for Molyneux because he fears that he is next is idiotic and laughable.

Keshik

Arcane
Thinking that he only stood up for Molyneux because he fears that he is next is idiotic and laughable.

Better than him standing up for Molyneux because he actually believes this is "abuse" and ugly treatment of the habitual liar, though.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thinking that he only stood up for Molyneux because he fears that he is next is idiotic and laughable.

Better than him standing up for Molyneux because he actually believes this is "abuse" and ugly treatment of the habitual liar, though.
And he is right. That interview had to be made, but not in an asshole manner like RPS did it.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
YUP, he will be next because he delivered a subpar adventure game on a million dollar budget, and he's been shit with money for decades now. Thinking that he stands up for Molyneux because he fears he is next is logical.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Codex: John, why are you such a piece of shit pretend-journalist?
John Walker: I..
Codex: John why don't you shut your dirty fucking mouth and stop sucking SJW cocks?
John Walker: Oh, you see, we really...
Codex: Shut the fuck up, you cunt.

I don't know, guys. I hate that faggot Walker. The interview is fucking horrible BUT at the same time, I like seeing that retard Molyneux getting fucked in the ass. I still remember the articles about Black and White, the bestest most creative game ever. It surely wasn't. I'd like this retarded way of interviewing somebody to be applied to Todd "Retard" Howard, just to see it happen, you know? The problem with the interview is that he has no actual questions about anything, maybe about the downsizing of the development team. The rest of it is just to hear Peter admit to being a conman which he won't, nobody ever will admit to being a fucking loser asshole has-been. This makes the interview just a click bait hit piece, even excluding the shit tone and the retarded opening.

I would actually like to read a better structured interview with some of the big boy PR assholes like Todd...but about what? "HEY TODD, WHY IS YOUR GAME SUCH A FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT?" Todd: Well you see, we remained true to our roots while streamlining the player experience.

What the fuck is that good for? It would be better to grill them real hard during the Alpha presentation, instead of when the sales started declining after 6 months.

Except 90% of all questions asked by Walker in that interview are completely concrete. Molyneux false apart not because they're unfair but because they're unanswerable. He did fuck up. And most guys would have salvaged that long before by admitting to it. Molyneux's problem is that he has build a ramschackle bridge of concrete promises that simply were not kept, and Walker takes each and everyone one and faces Molyneux with them.

In contrast to Codex edginess, most industry heads who, in a Codex perspective, flush out hot air, are clever enough not to attach all sorts of raw promises to them. If they do, it's once, and there's a backlash. There are few people who like Molyneux claim they will change the life of a specific person, giving the press something concrete to hold on to, and then mess up.

And he is right. That interview had to be made, but not in an asshole manner like RPS did it.

Right. They should have exposed him as the fraud he is, but in a polite manner... lol.

Keshik

Arcane

Was it really an asshole manner ? And Molyneux's gone on so long with this crap him getting a little rough treatment is long overdue. This is business and with people's money, not some lark in Uni. While RPS jerks themselves off over this far too much, a harsh interview is what is called for.

m_s0

Arcane
I've said it already: he needs to be ignored completely. You won't expose him, you won't get through to him, and you damn well won't make him change or even stop overpromising.

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
I don't really know, or care to know, who John Walker is, but I was amused by that old huckster Molyneux getting his balls broken. As for the tone of the interview, I don't see what the problem is with taken a hostile approach when the subject of the interview is a known liar. A more courteous interview probably would have yielding nothing but excuses and more PR bullshit, maybe with a little bit of crocodile tears to garner some sympathy. At least with this interview we got to see Molyneux squirm.

DeepOcean

Arcane
LOL, he won't be the next because he delivers a decent adventure game, and he is not lying for decades now. Thinking that he only stood up for Molyneux because he fears that he is next is idiotic and laughable.
Idiotic and laughable? Jeez J_C, are you a cousin of Schafer or something? Why the butthurt? Why are you so defensive about a guy you don't know, that doesn't care about you and that would gladly take your money to keep his hipster ponzi scheeme alive and fuck you in the process? Because he made some good games on the past? Do you really think a developer responsible for a mess of overpromising and fucking fans on Early Acess and responsible for a run away joke of a project like Broken Age and that blame everything on everyone else but himself is much different from Moly?

Isn't that Moly didn't release games, Moly released Black and White and Fable, two big disappointments resulting from his lies but while he used money from publishers, that wasn't terrible, but when he got desperate, he started abusing people good faith on kickstarter, he crossed a line like a certain lumberjack hipster developer as well. Godus is a joke of a game as Broken Age and Space Base 9.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Idiotic and laughable? Jeez J_C, are you a cousin of Schafer or something? Why the butthurt? Why are you so defensive about a guy you don't know, that doesn't care about you and that would gladly take your money to keep his hipster ponzi scheeme alive and fuck you in the process? Because he made some good games on the past? Do you really think a developer responsible for a mess of overpromising and fucking fans on Early Acess and responsible for a run away joke of a project like Broken Age and that blame everything on everyone else but himself is much different from Moly?

Isn't that Moly didn't release games, Moly released Black and White and Fable, two big disappointments resulting from his lies but while he used money from publishers, that wasn't terrible, but when he got desperate, he started abusing people good faith on kickstarter, he crossed a line like a certain lumberjack hipster developer as well. Godus is a joke of a game as Broken Age and Space Base 9.
Me butthurt? I'm totally cool with everything. I think Broken Age 1 was a decent although shallow adventure game, but part 2 might be much better. SpaceBase 9 is the only big black spot on Tim's resume.

All I said was that Tim didn't stood up for Molyneux because he fears that he is next. Because he won't be next. Broken Age 2 willl be better than the first one, the press will probably like it (they even liked part 1). The spacebase fuckup is old news now and Tim never did stuff like Molyneux, who promised the stars. Why would anyone make an interview like the RPS one with him?

almondblight

Arcane
It should probably be pointed out that Godus was in danger of not being funded during the Kickstarter. But Molyneux got help to push his game, including Rock Paper Shotgun pimping it by putting 7 articles during the campaign (this was also during their "Kickstarter Katchup" phase, where Kickstarters were supposed to be aggregated and no single Kickstarter campaign was supposed to get even one article for itself). When people were actually cautious about giving Molyneux money because they saw how his previous claims never materialized, RPS published hard hitting articles like: "Peter Molyneux's Tears: 'I Still Believe So Much.'"

(This in addition to Walker misleading people by saying that Kickstarter campaigns had no obligation to fulfill rewards, and saying that backers of failed campaigns absolutely don't deserve refunds.)

Dexter

Arcane
Not sure why so many people are hating on Black & White, it was new, innovative with a new concept of gameplay and pretty great for it's time.

And The Movies wasn't too bad either, just kinda underwhelming after stuff like Dungeon Keeper and Theme Hospital, but I generally agree that people calling it "not a game" are possibly retarded:

Either of these or similar games would be great to have nowadays and would likely be considered incline by most, since they were made in a time when some studios were still allowed to somewhat innovate and not just copy Call of Duty/World of Warcraft/Assassin's Creed/Batman: Arkham Asylum/GTA and remake in another setting.

Bullfrog Productions (Populous, Syndicate, Theme Park, Dungeon Keeper, Theme Hospital) and its continuation Lionhead Studios (Black & White, The Movies); Maxis (SimCity, SimAnt, SimTower, SimTown and even The Sims after being acquired by EA); DMA Design for their Lemmings and GTA I will always regard highly for actually trying new stuff and innovating, even if some of it didn't work or came somewhat short. Would really love to have more mid-sized studios like that taking a risk nowadays.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
So, a few weeks ago RPS posted a very harsh 'state of the game' on godus. Molyneux threw a fit that he wasn't being hailed as the next big thing any moar. Also it seems Molyneux is also the 'genius' behind the clusterfuck called Evolve. I should have known, big monster, buggy alpha release, and day 1 DLC. It has Peter's 'touch' all over it.

Anyhow onto the D-R-A-M-A

Peter Molyneux Interview: “I haven’t got a reputation in this industry any more”

When Peter Molyneux agreed to speak to me, I knew the interview was going to be tense. I knew that an article we’d posted on Monday, asking what was going on with the development of Godus, had kicked up an enormous storm for 22cans and its boss, with the rest of the gaming press picking up and running with it. So I assumed, when he agreed to chat, he knew that it wasn’t going to be a smooth ride. I wanted to get to the root of so much that now seems to form the reputation of the developer, the outlandish promises that so often aren’t kept, the ridiculous time-frames claimed, and the often disappointing or lacklustre results. I especially wanted to do this now that the people funding such things aren’t deep-pocketed publishers, but the players themselves. I wasn’t expecting it to take us in the direction of Molyneux’s declaring that I was “driving him out of the games industry”.

We spoke on the phone on Wednesday evening, Molyneux speaking from the Guildford offices of his studio, 22cans. Sounding stressed, but composed, Molyneux asked how I’d like to begin, whether I had questions, or should I just let him talk. I told him I had questions, many questions, and so we began.

RPS: Do you think that you’re a pathological liar? :lol:

Peter Molyneux: That’s a very…

RPS: I know it’s a harsh question, but it seems an important question to ask because there do seem to be lots and lots of lies piling up.

Peter Molyneux: I’m not aware of a single lie, actually. I’m aware of me saying things and because of circumstances often outside of our control those things don’t come to pass, but I don’t think that’s called lying, is it? I don’t think I’ve ever knowingly lied, at all. And if you want to call me on one I’ll talk about it for sure.

RPS: During the Kickstarter for Godus you stated, regarding that you don’t want to use a publisher stating, “It’ll just be you and our unbridled dedication (no publishers).” And five months later you signed with a publisher.

Peter Molyneux: Absolutely. And at that time I wish we had raised enough money to not need a publisher.

RPS: But you got more than you asked–

Peter Molyneux: We could have gone and we were asked to by publishers to publish the Steam version, but we turned that down. The economics of doing Godus, unfortunately Kickstarter didn’t raise enough money. Now the trouble is with Kickstarter, you don’t really fully know how much money you need and I think most people who do Kickstarter would agree with me here. You have an idea, you think you need this much, but as most people will say with Kickstarter, if you ask for too much money up front because of the rules of Kickstarter, it’s very, very hard to ask for the complete development budget. I think Double Fine have gone back and asked for more money because development is a very, very, it’s a very confusing and bewildering time, and it’s very hard to predict what will happen.

RPS: Yes, but you know that. You’ve been working in the industry for over thirty years, you know how much money it costs to make a game and you put a specific amount–

Peter Molyneux: No, I don’t, I disagree John. I have no idea how much money it costs to make a game and anyone that tells you how much it’s going to cost to make a game which is completely a new experience is a fool or a genius. :lol: He just can't fucking resist tooting his own horn

RPS: But you have to have enough experience to know the basics of budgeting a videogame, you’ve been doing it for thirty years!

Peter Molyneux: No, I disagree. See this is where you’re wrong. I think even Hollywood struggles. Lots of films go over budget. I’ll give you an example, I had some repair works done to my house, they went over budget by 50%. I said exactly the same thing. Anything that involves creativity, you may think it should be a defined process, but it’s not. And the reason that it’s not a defined process is that the people who work on it aren’t robots, and you can’t predict whether someone is going to be brilliant and you give them a piece of code to do and they do it in a day, or whether they’re going to take a month to do it, and that’s the problem with creativity. Being creative is a very, very unpredictable force, and you try your best. You try your best to predict these things but very often you can be wrong. And I have been wrong. Every single project I have ever done, and people know this, every single project I have done, I have been wrong about the times. And I’ve been very honest about that. And the only time I have absolutely stuck to my dates was on Fable 3 and I shouldn’t have done that. I should have gone back and asked for more time.

RPS: I understand budgets can go–

Peter Molyneux: I’m running a business and god I wish to god that I could predict the time and I can assure you every single person has worked their ass off to try to make this game as quickly and effectively as they possibly can and everybody here is incredibly dedicated and still is. I mean, the Godus team were here at half past eight last night. We try as hard as we can to get things right the first time, to get a feature right the first time, we try to implement things that are going to be effective, but when you’re creating something new it’s almost impossible, John. Here’s the thing: this is what I truly believe. Making a computer game that’s entertaining and that’s incredible and that’s amazing is almost impossible, it’s almost impossible to do.

This is just the opening volley. This is LONG fucking interview folks, and Molyneux is squirming in every wordy rant. You can read the rest at the link. He is being accused of getting more money than needed on Kickstarter then also going the publisher route though he had exceeded his crowd funding target. This could be an embezzlement case in the making.

Infinitron You think maybe this should be on the front page? I know it's RPS but this is greatness in the making. :lol:

Morgoth Where is your day1 messiah nao?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Holy cow. I started reading this page expecting a new development. Give me back the five minutes of my life, Kattze :(

Black_Willow

Arcane
uvUsX2W.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom