Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fermi Paradox - sci-fi narrative strategy game with Brian Mitsoda - now on Early Access

Pearass

Educated
This doesn't look like my sort of thing, but all the best to Brian. Hopefully, he can get the satisfaction of something he worked on actually releasing this time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Good for Brian, Hardsuit and Paradox did him dirty.

At least it doesn't sound like he's going to have to suffer the abomination of someone else rewriting his work for a franchise he's linked to, since it sounds like whatever studio inherits this curse is going to be redoing a bunch of stuff.

Also, gardening? Okay. I suppose I will allow this.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
https://www.thegamer.com/interview-the-fermi-paradox/

Based on Reisig’s flowery (sorry) words about seeds and gardening, you may think the game is all about species frolicking together in meadows and holding hands, but you’d be very wrong. “The game is about the fragility of civilization and that it takes a lot of care and dedication to upkeep a social and just society,” he says. “In my opinion all interesting science fiction works are inherently political, and I am always a bit confused when science fiction games try to be not.”

Mostly, Reisig wants this game to make players think about the real world. “I find it fascinating that just by switching the role of the player from commanding a faction in a traditional civilization strategy game to a god game simulation, automatically the perspective on the possible choices change,” he says. “If the player can influence every civilization in the game and it is optimal if as many of them survive as possible, why should they even wage wars and not rather try to prevent them? Of course, it would be great if our game would inspire players to think more about militarisation and resource consumption in the real world. The interesting thing is that the gardening aspect of the game steers the player automatically in this direction. I often see test players cursing when a species spirals into religious warfare, starts burning all their coal for their consumer industry, or if a civilization decides that it is a good idea to manufacture killer robots.”
“One of my favourite science fiction books is Ursula Le Guin’s ‘Left Hand of Darkness’ and how it deals with an ambisexual society. I guess for me it is normal to assume that aliens would evolve different sexualities, gender identities, and social structures than humanity. If an alien society is portrayed with the same heteronormative values and focus on the gender binary as our society, I am always a bit puzzled. [Anomaly Games] love to explore queer sci-fi tropes and also like to imagine what kind of struggles and bias other societies need to overcome.”
"Thas rite!"
/
ss_30c9fcdcf2fc82339280f394557b8a92d6138e4b.1920x1080.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
at this point i dont see why anyone should care at all that something has brian mitsoda

also, "choice-driven, narrative strategy game", yeah, fuck you too

Atrachasis

Augur
Not really much of any substance to see here yet, but I'm not sure why the reaction is so uniformly negative.

All right, the art style is awful. But the concept of a God game in space (some hybrid of MOO, Populous, Balace of Power, perhaps?) is a niche that really hasn't been over-explored yet, so that alone deserves some interest. Minus points for the "blobs sprinkled uniformly across a flat gameboard" representation of space.

And yes, their musings come across as a bit proselytizing, but if the general gist of it is that successful expansion across the galaxy is the antithesis to a malthusian scenario affecting single-planet-based civilizations, I'm fine with that. If there are really are multiple viable strategies to explore (i.e. anything from United Federation of Planets-style peaceful cooperation to a culturally homogeneous Galactic Empire), all the better.

Don't really see how the game mechanics work yet, so I'll reserve judgement.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just from the video thumbnail with the lizards and the token nigger you can see it will be shit

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Don't really see how the game mechanics work yet, so I'll reserve judgement.
The fact that the trailer seems to be showing gameplay footage, and that said gameplay footage seems to consist entirely of 1) random events and 2) picking one of 3 options from a list does not inspire confidence that this will be a fun game to play. I expect a very complex and mechanics driven CYOA, not an actual game. The fact that it is described as a god game also makes me think that it will not really have win or lose conditions, but rather just a sandbox for the computer to randomly generate events in.

I could be wrong, and the concept is intriguing enough I'll probably keep paying attention to it, but the odds of it being a good game are pretty low right now.

fork

Another shitty "game" huh.
The Fermi Paradox: Niggers in Space, now with even less gameplay mechanics!

But at least there's a pretentious title!
That the most likely explanation for the paradox is indeed that there simply are no alien civilisations?
Nah, NIGGERS IN SPACE! If niggers make it, so will the aliens, right?

Meh.
Fuck this industry!

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Tried the demo and it's a solid concept what with managing multiple species' developments/coming into contact with others, but the problem is execution airs on the narrative CYOA style. With four factions I had in my game bringing up their events, galaxy camera constantly panning all over the place and general slow transitions between screens I can see this turning into a hair pulling affair after your galaxy is populated further. In a sense, this seems like a game you'll play once or twice to see most of the narrative events and call it a day because it lacks that tangible strategy bite. I get the feeling that wasn't their target audience to begin with, though.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Tried the demo and it's a solid concept what with managing multiple species' developments/coming into contact with others, but the problem is execution airs on the narrative CYOA style. With four factions I had in my game bringing up their events, galaxy camera constantly panning all over the place and general slow transitions between screens I can see this turning into a hair pulling affair after your galaxy is populated further. In a sense, this seems like a game you'll play once or twice to see most of the narrative events and call it a day because it lacks that tangible strategy bite. I get the feeling that wasn't their target audience to begin with, though.
I also tried the demo and found it shit. You click around the screen for random events, then more random events happen. Occasionally you get a choice of 3 different outcomes, and those aren't very engaging either.

Cael

Arcane
First project post-Bloodlines 2 I think.
looks gay
CDPR should have offered to develop this. But who knows, they might've still insisted on making it sandbox with too broad a scope. I still think either they or Rockstar are this franchise's only hopes.
cdpr are fuckin trash man
So, time travelling sjw fuckheads teaching the dinosaurs to be gay and tranny was the real reason they died out. The asteroid was just a cover up?

Last edited by a moderator:

Norfleet

I think the easiest answer to the Fermi Paradox is readily apparent to anyone who has ever played a Space Strategery Game: Imagine such a game being played out for real, only one player gets a 500 turn head start.

is there still a game? Will the other players even have planets left to spawn on after 500 turns of the game?

Lagi

Savant
I think the easiest answer to the Fermi Paradox is readily apparent to anyone who has ever played a Space Strategery Game: Imagine such a game being played out for real, only one player gets a 500 turn head start.

is there still a game? Will the other players even have planets left to spawn on after 500 turns of the game?

Question better than this game.

I think if there is lots of threats to deal with. Pollution, internal wars, disease, lack of resources, ... Then maybe... yes?
However looking at the earth now, I give no chance to other species to evolve comparable brain to humans. Unless its some genetic engineering.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom