Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics The Feud: Wild West Tactics

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
NEWS by The Feud: Wild West Tactics
POSTED
fre 3 april
Keepin’ Your Territory

This week we’ll talk a bit more about Saga and what to look out for when trying to keep your fledgling western empire from getting put into an early grave.

When you begin you have your hometown and a couple posses. The first thing you’ll want to do is get scouting and exploring. The world map is randomly created for each game so things like resources and enemy hometown locations vary greatly from game to game.

You’ll want to grab up some resources and hold on to them. There are four types and it’s a good idea to have at least one of each under your control. It can be tricky, as the more resources you have, the bigger your territory will be and the more likely the other groups will want to come take what is yours.

Speaking of other groups, the three other factions on the map get more aggressive as time moves on. It’s up to you to get your own posses ready and to do the research you need to be prepared and powerful enough to drive them off. There are dozens of different research paths, experiment and find out what works for you in a specific game.

As a final tip, you’ll often see enemies moving around the map and one of the things you may notice is red lines heading towards your resources, posses or even your home town. This lets you know when a potential attack is coming, act accordingly. In some cases, it’s better to engage an enemy on your land so locals can help and your posse members have a better chance of survival, other times you may want to take the fight to an opposing posse for others reasons.

We’ll get into Saga more in the next few weeks. The game itself is doing well and heading closer to launch we’re hovering around 45-55 bugs and the goal is to get them fixed and the game out as quickly as possible.

See you next week.

34a05fa7cd1a8ef0a838b6ddb7175482920f1f8d.jpg

Grabbing a resource

cea794f1fbf8fb41a490d35ac2d1c1a062613f65.jpg

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://steamcommunity.com/games/291840/announcements/detail/2212898452337964359
Stream on Friday
Stream on Friday

So, we’re ready to do our first stream this week and give everyone a glimpse of the game live. For this first one it’ll be a playthrough of one of the story levels. We’ll get into how the different systems work for cover, action point usage, special abilities and talk a bit about the rest of the game. Feel free to come join us. We’ll hang around to answer the questions that we can answer and give more details on the game. Like we said last time, our intent is to make it a weekly stream and show off a bit more of the game each time, including play modes, maps, character progression and more.

Our Twitch Channel is where you can join us on April 17 at 7pm PST.

Looking forward to chatting on Friday.

8f5c2dea42344f3873fec625867ca58e04d8cbb3.jpg

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/291840/view/2212899721721950132
July 4th
We decided to reveal a minor bit of information on Friday’s stream.

We’re launching on July 4th 2020.

Speaking of the stream, we showed off Skirmish mode and started up a new game of saga with the Hatfields. Over the course of the evening a hired gun with the “touched” quirk became a hero. In the final battle, in the midst of an ambush he hit the ground, it wasn’t until the end that it was determined he just needed some time in town to recover. His collapse though was all the rest of the posse needed to push on to victory in an unexpected tough fight.

Above is one of the things that makes Feud a lot of fun. You’ll have hired guns start to write their own stories and before you know it, you’ll be saying “remember that battle when….”

As far as dev goes, we’re continuing to work on bugs and adjustments. It’s going well but there’s plenty of work needed to get us across the line.

There will be another stream at 7pm PST on Friday. We hope to see you there on our Twitch Channel.

8dcc35c593ef8189c302e34f3c3e8abdad7d8862.jpg

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks much "cleaner" than earlier screenshots. Not a fan of QTE though

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Steam demo is out.
Or is it?

I don't see download button there.

Yeah, it's kind of fucked up right now. You can access the demo from the Steam Game Festival page if you can find the game there, but not all of the store pages have been updated with links to their demos.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/gamefestival?tab=5
The fact that Steam seems to have at least 2 different locations where they put that "download demo"-button doesn't help at all.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Played the single demo level.
-pretty basic 2-action nu-xcom gameplay on flat levels.
-units use just single weapon, for example shotgunner can't change weapons and there's no inventory management or stuff that could be picket up on battlefield.
-There doesn't seem to be friendly fire, unless blowing someone on your own side with dynamite counts.
-Dynamite can destroy cover.
-I don't like QTE showdowns.
-There's quite lot cutscenes, but without VA those are just weird silent movie stuff. Wasted effort there.
-Sluggish performance on my laptop and camera and unit movement is too slow.

edit.
-There wasn't any real resource usage or stat checks for using overwatch, which has had obvious downsides on other games.

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
Brofist was for being informative. Most of that actually sounds really bad. QTEs are probably the deal breaker for me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, this was delayed: https://gamasutra.com/view/pressrel...pRELEASE_DATE_SET_FOR_JULY_22_nd_ON_STEAM.php

LOS ANGELES: WEDNESDAY, JUNE 17, 2020 – Indie game developer GPC Games today announced a release date for The Feud: Wild West Tactics. Inspired by the infamous nearly 30-year dispute between the Hatfields and McCoys, it is a turn-based single-player game that is all about shotgun blasting, knife wielding, dynamite throwing, territory grabbing action in the Wild West.

Slated for release on July 22, The Feud Wild West Tactics is part of the Steam Festival: Summer Edition that runs June 16 through June 21. In conjunction with the event, GPC has released a downloadable demo, scheduled several streaming sessions, and will be debuting new trailers throughout the week.

Players can blast their way through special storylines from each family, bolstered by a posse of unique characters, each with a ton of personality and grit. Leveling up and learning to use your “family” effectively is crucial, as only the hardiest gunslingers can expect to go the distance. Players can also try their hand at building their western empire in the Western Saga Mode. Using a traditional 4x strategy model, players will capture resources and territory, research upgrades, explore and investigate events, hold up wagon trains, hunt down fugitives, and – most importantly, drive off other enemy families for good.

“Feud has been a passion project in terms of our deep affection for both the old west and turn based games that are highly tactical. But also, in terms of the enormous challenge of building a game of Feud’s scope and size to completion with a very small team while maintaining our original vision.” said Matt Saia, creative director and game designer at GPCE games.

Key Features:

Turn-Based Tactics in the Old West – Focused on small team battles, players need to learn their characters’ abilities and specialties to survive. The Enemy talent system gives enemies a personal touch, with harder battles differing with each play-through.

Upgradeable Characters – Characters evolve as players progress through the storylines, choosing new abilities and developing existing ones; and equipping them with a variety of items.

Rich Story Mode with Multiple Storylines – 3 storylines and 32 missions with unique maps move players through a range of challenges. An advanced difficulty mode provides the ultimate challenge for seasoned gunslingers.

Western Saga Mode – This massive metagame challenges players to build the ultimate western empire by taking over 3 enemy factions from either side. Players explore, research, recruit. and conquer. Multiple difficulty settings including hardcore provide a repeat challenge

Skirmish Mode – Players band together a posse of hired guns, heroes, or combination of the two for a quick, endless series of challenges on a variety of maps to earn in-game achievements and become the hardiest gunslinger.

Additional Features
  • 11 Hero Characters
  • RPG-Style Item System
  • Classic Western Weapons
  • Special Weapon Abilities
  • Deep Research Trees
  • Dozens of Dynamic Events
  • Randomized World Map
  • Diverse Locations
  • Unique Perk & Quirk System
  • Classic Western Standoffs
  • Sweeping Original Soundtrack
  • Cinematic Action Cameras
“Instead of focusing on the deserts and plains, we centered on where it all started - in the Appalachian Mountains with an incredible cast of historic figures,” continued Saia. “We really wanted to create a game with layers of strategy and near-endless hours of gameplay, and, in the end, I think we did.

The Feud: Wild West Tactics will be available for a suggested retail price of $29.99 USD on Steam on July 22, 2020. Players can download the demo and add the game to their wish list here. For additional information, please visit www.gpcgames.com.

And they brought back the demo.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I bet that it's shit.

Progress and communication in the last 3 years was absolutely painful as if they hated working on it. Such circumstances can only result in a piece of garbage.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I gave it a go, and was not really impressed.
The only mode I tried is "Story" which is a set of tactical missions.
There's also a "Saga" mode that is more of a strategy/tactics about controlling settlements and sending teams to explore overland map.

At first glance the game looks pretty decent, despite having the "ever popular" 2-actions system.
The characters have 9 stats, 6 equipment slots and skill tree with 9 tiers.

yLEGv4v.png

But it turns out that only 3 of 9 skill branches offer new tactical options.
The rest either upgrade existing skills or provide some minor buffs like +5 health or +3% crit.

The same with the gear, - items just increase stats.
Maybe a fully geared character will get a decent overall performance boost, but all these +2% of this and +1 to that don't look inspirational.

The animations feel slow and sluggish.
And limited mobility leads to mostly positional battles, with both side trenching behind obstacles and shooting until someone manages to score a hit.

But what really rubbed me wrong is the excess of "gamey" elements.
Stuff like "Rewards: XP and Random Item"- is it a mobile game or something?

During the first mission you have to free one of your men, who is hanging from a tree.
Apparently he was hanged with his rifle in hands, because as soon as he is down from the rope, he's ready to shoot.

One of the early mission makes you collect a number of boxes, while being opposed by a band of poachers.
Right after all boxes are collected, the mission is won, regardless that there's a bunch of guys shooting at you from each every direction.
This is what made me stop.

Maybe it gets better on later missions, maybe the Saga mode provides completely different experience.
But for now I have more interesting games to play.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/07/31/the-flare-path-letter-page/
feud09.jpg

The Feud: Wild West Tactics (£23) is a very different kettle of catfish. Like you I wasn’t wholly convinced by the demo. However, the trial mission’s suggestion of cramped venues and solid but uninspired skirmishes is misleading. With twelve hours of IGOUGO potshotting and potbelly-stabbing under my gun belt, I now wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this Western X-COM-like.

feud04.jpg

Seven of those twelve hours were spent engrossed in the first of the game’s three linear campaigns, the rest dabbling with the ‘saga’ and skirmish modes. Saga, an ambitious affair in which skirmishes are the fruit of encounters and exploration on a randomly generated Civ-style map, and personnel and facilities must be cultivated in order to further the interests of your clan, is as tough as a bison bull’s brow at present. Once developer Galaxy Pest Control has retarded enemy clan levelling rates a tad (a patch tackling this is on the way) its true potential should be unlocked. Even now when most games end with hometowns being trashed by high-level hostile posses a few hours after the start, it’s far from shabby.

feud02.jpg

Not only do you get to organise and orchestrate your own posses, you oversee research, equip and develop heroes, hire gunfighters and buy horses. Entering a random encounter hex for the first time triggers anything from a bandit ambush to a hostage rescue mission, a deer hunt to a texty trading opportunity or stroke of good/bad fortune.
feud07.jpg

Happily there’s plenty to do while GPC balances saga mode. Judging by the first of the three twelve-mission campaigns, there’s at least 21 hours of play in story mode, and absorbing play at that.

feud01.jpg

The Feud’s AI makes Winter War’s look comatose. In gunfights lively unscripted opponents use cover, weapons and special abilities adroitly; they heal each other, and know when to retreat or try new avenues of attack.

feud06b.jpg

What could, in other hands, have been a fairly repetitive sequence of “Kill X foes” or “Survive for Y turns” challenges, is kept engaging by regular injections of new characters, weapons, and abilities – the latter manually acquired when levelling up – and by combat shorthand that’s both colourful and intelligent.

feud11b.jpg

Each turn characters can spend their two (usually) Action Points in a number of different ways. In addition to standard attacks, reloading, movement and overwatch orders there’s a plethora of entertaining special orders that can, if used well and Lady Luck is in a good mood, transform scraps… After Doc Travis drops a medical bag within reach of bleeding Jim Vance, Cap Hatfield tries to disarm the badman behind the pine tree with a rifle shot, while Devil Hatfield attempts to spook the knife-wielding foe about to coup de grâce KOed Rita Sanchez. Jim heals himself using Doc’s bag then fires a swarm of buckshot that not only hits its target but also activates his ‘Showdown’ pocket watch. I click the glowing timepiece and the nearest foe, initiating a tense cinematic standoff that ends spectacularly when I, on Jim’s behalf, stop an erratically pulsing circle at precisely the moment it touches a central sixshooter icon, prompting a bloody Critical Hit cutscenelet.

feud10.jpg

GPC have clearly put a lot of thought into combat rules. Dynamite and Molotov tossing is a giggle thanks to destructible scenery and a bounce/miss chance. In one of my last scraps – a classic cattle town fracas involving lots of alley dashing and sniping from windows – things looked grim until a careless badman accidentally evened the odds by winging a powder barrel with a shotgun blast.

feud08.jpg

One of the tastiest tactical ingredients is the “quirks” that hired guns (saga mode) and allies (story mode) bring to the playgrid. If you’re unlucky, in the heat of battle “easily confused” Luther Perkins will target a friendly rather than a foe, “strong headed” Joe Smith will spend his own APs on a reckless advance, “drunk” Hardy Woodfield will take a swig from his whisky bottle instead of using his pistol, and butter-fingered Donald Campbell will fumble a vital reload. The drab attritional combat systems found in many traditional wargames would benefit from a pinch of The Feud’s battle pepper.

feud12.jpg

As the tactical side is so well executed, the game’s mediocre but spirited writing, and lack of voiced cutscene dialogue and vocal cues is relatively easy to overlook.

feud14.jpg

It’s been years since I warmed to an X-COM-like the way I’ve warmed to this one. From what you’ve told me about your father (Liked Jagged Alliance, Silent Storm, and 101: Airborne Invasion of Europe … partial to a Spaghetti Western and a bit of Mount & Blade) The Feud: Wild West Tactics should suit him down to the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/291840/view/2896333013002921073
Survival Mode
So, this is a thing. Survival mode is coming.

Take your 5 favorite characters and see how long you can last against waves of deadly enemies. You’ll face off against gunslingers, bears, wolves and who knows what else. The mode comes with a new personal leaderboard where you can see how your teams do and try to beat your own high scores. It has the same difficulties as Skirmish. You can certainly throw together a group of hired guns and try out brutal to see how much punishment you can withstand.

Also….

This is only a small part of what is coming. In fact there’s something else entirely new in the level screenshot that we hope will please everyone.

e49e8931ee9266cc0db5318c8357e7c4d9077f5b.jpg

561a58042ad2ee85f7e39b2a75c7cbe7ccce0a47.jpg

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/291840/view/5318144537297923816
Resource Defenders
Resource Defenders are coming along with survival mode and the other “thing” that was in the screenshot from last week.

Resource Defenders is a Saga mode feature that allows you and your enemies to assign defenders to protect important resource nodes. You’ll be able to choose from weak, normal or skilled defenders and pay a cost to garrison a 5 man posse of hired guns there. To capture the resource the enemy will have to battle and defeat your defenders to claim victory. The idea is to strategically choose which resources are the most important and to make them harder for an enemy to ride by and capture.

Next week we’ll be doing a stream and showing off Survival as well as a rather large feature that was part of the Survival mode screenshot from last week. We’ll get a time posted early next week, feel free to drop by and ask questions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom