Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fire Emblem Thread

Martius

Liturgist

Its a bit strange, if anything I thought we will see any footage from SMTxFE, not new game on 3ds. Models now have feets, besides it looks like Awakening sequel. I think on Japanese stream it was called Fire Emblem If.

Martius

Liturgist
Last year they said "We are right on schedule". I will just stick to theory that studio is taking their sweet time since its not game for handheld.

Keldryn

Arcane
If it were being done by a western developer, I would agree that it's time to give up on it. Nintendo tends to be pretty tight-lipped until only a short time before release, so it may yet come to pass.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm looking forward to it, despite the fact that it's probably gonna follow Awakening's footsteps to a T. Hopefully I won't need the 'New 3DS' to play it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Going to buy this day one.

Improvements I want to see from Awakening:

Actual terrain that matters.
More varied mission objectives.
More focused on political conflict. (Very subjective wish.)

Siveon

Bot
Oh right, forgot to mention, I really hope there's no OP-as-fuck/Mary-sue Avatar.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Huh, that beginning part of the trailer was...cool. When it's showing the mural and that bit.

Rest is WEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

...day 1 purchase...

Though really, despite Awakening being CRINGEY with the waifu shit, I liked the game. I just really hope they improve the encounter design, because late game fights were BORING AS SHIT. Yeah, just keep throwing Level 20/20 enemies en-mass at you, that's fun, right? It wasn't hard, but you'd still die because it got boring. FE5 was hard as shit, but they kept finding new ways to ruin your shit and you kept on playing to see how they'd try and ram a lance up your ass next. (My favorite was the level where you're surrounded by reinforced troops and the enemy commander gives +50/-50 Evasion/Hit to all his men.)

Oh right, forgot to mention, I really hope there's no OP-as-fuck/Mary-sue Avatar.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHA! Yeah, that's not going anywhere. The Avatar concept was probably what saved the game series, along with him being a fuckin' waifu pimp.

Though technically the Mary-Sue Avatar wasn't totally OP. His/Her son/daughter sure as fuck was. At least with the Avatar there's one skill he's shit at.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Pandering to ronery waifufags is a sure way to print money, unfortunately.

I haven't played a Fire Emblem game prior to Awakening, but thought it was a fairly below average tactical RPG. If this is more of the same then I doubt I'll bother to touch it. When even my most mega casual friend can beat a game you know it's way, way too easy.

grudgebringer

I haven't played a Fire Emblem game prior to Awakening, but thought it was a fairly below average tactical RPG. If this is more of the same then I doubt I'll bother to touch it. When even my most mega casual friend can beat a game you know it's way, way too easy.
Maybe he played it on lowest difficulty without permanent death, how do you know? I'd say it's pretty punishing.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Maybe he played it on lowest difficulty without permanent death, how do you know? I'd say it's pretty punishing.

He beat the game on normal without perma death. If you'd understand how inept he is at video games, you'd appreciate the gravity of the feat that he pulled off, or be horrified with how easy the game is, which it is. Partly I'd say due to the primitive mission structure. You know your tactical game sucks ass when every mission is "kill all enemies".

Elthosian

Arcane
Radiant Dawn was much more of a tactical game than Awakening, not even going to bother with this one unless they re-implement terrain heights and varied mission objectives.

Siveon

Bot
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHA! Yeah, that's not going anywhere. The Avatar concept was probably what saved the game series, along with him being a fuckin' waifu pimp.

:negative:

Here's hoping they do it right this time then. I'm with you on the better stage design, the two final stages were just BLANK FUCKING ROOMS. On top of a dragon? ZERO TO NO OBSTACLES. Bull.

Less DLC would be cool too.

Pandering to ronery waifufags is a sure way to print money, unfortunately.

Fire Emblem Awakening is essentially a huge Fire Emblem tutorial with some Visual Novel crap thrown in for good measure. That was pretty much a given for me and more dedicated players. If you a more :obviously: Fire Emblem, look no further than the previous titles. They're way better. Except the DS game. That one was pretty bland.

He beat the game on normal without perma death. If you'd understand how inept he is at video games, you'd appreciate the gravity of the feat that he pulled off, or be horrified with how easy the game is, which it is. Partly I'd say due to the primitive mission structure. You know your tactical game sucks ass when every mission is "kill all enemies".

Playing on Lunatic/Permadeath is way, WAY harder. Normal/no-permadeath is pure casual mode. Granted, both of the modes require to grind like your life depended on it, but at least on the former mode you actually have to think sometimes.

Avellion

Erudite

This is why Awakening is so poorly regarded by Fire Emblem fans.

Fire Emblem used to have a lot more mission variety, and then awakening comes along and everything is just, kill all enemies. Some entries did not only frequently introduce new mission objectives, but constantly found new ways to completely devastate your party. Resulting in you needing to constantly adapt to new scenarios.

The Mary Sue seems to be still in. There were were a few images showing the potential new avatar. I think it was the albino in the trailer. There were a few images around the internet showing other hairstyles of that character.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
FINALLY.

That they're sticking with the 3DS is great news. It means they won't have to make a new engine from scratch, which means the game's environments and fights won't have to be so bare bones.

grudgebringer

That they're sticking with the 3DS is great news. It means they won't have to make a new engine from scratch, which means the game's environments and fights won't have to be so bare bones.

I think so as well. Now their main focus should be improved battles with more room for tactical decisions, more plot twists and a better variety of tasks to choose from. Basically this ought to be a glorified expansion pack with refined gameplay core.

Avellion

Erudite
I think so as well. Now their main focus should be improved battles with more room for tactical decisions, more plot twists and a better variety of tasks to choose from. Basically this ought to be a glorified expansion pack with refined gameplay core.
I just hope they didnt learn the wrong lessons from FE:A. As in, I hope they expand the gameplay to be at least on par with previous Fire Emblems, and add back that variety. And dont go the full BioWare route of focusing more and more on Waifus and romances.

Martius

Liturgist
Well, with Awakening they wanted to expand audience since it was supposed to be last game series because of poor sales of previous titles. Since they succeeded in that I also hope next game could be more balanced. I think even some features were used in older games, like avatar customisation and whole marriage and kids stuff. At least I heard so. Awakening was my first Fire Emblem, expect that I played bit of GBA ones on wii u virtual console.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
At the very least I hope the absence of children from the future will allow the Support system to return to GBA era levels of writing quality. The tension free, conflict free fluff about pies wore thin. At least the relationships back in the original Fire Emblem had some drama to them, with not every one panning out exactly like in a fairy tale.

Amn Nom

Learned
Drop the shitty relationship system for the old pairings, add in some varied objectives, and write a coherent story is all they need to do. I'm still in regardless because a bad Fire Emblem game is miles ahead of most other SRPGs out there.

Last edited:

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Eh I might go for it after release. I didn't like Awakening for many reasons. Normal mode was pathetically easy and hard mode didn't seem that well implemented, the writing sucked hard throughout the entire game and they added way too many characters so it's no surprise that so much of the supports turned out bad. Especially when they let the avatar support everyone in the entire game. Then multiclassing just broke the game clean in two if you had the patience. I recruited the Ike fanservice (on a side note giving Aether to the Marth descendent but not the Ike one. Seriously?) character by giving my character the hit+50/dodge+50 skills for every weapon then had him park on a forest and just hit end turn until everyone died. Why they couldn't even give the enemies higher stats at the endgame I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if you could beat the whole game without classing up anyone. Also I have the same art style and waifu complaints as other people so that too.

Hopefully this one will be better since I like the series but I just can't stand Awakening anymore.

Vagiel

Augur
I don't know, just the addition of grinding ruins it for me (not like there are not so many other reasons to dislike it). Being able to grind means there is no proper balance in the game because there is no expected level of the party to base the enemies around. Add the fact of forced deployment of certain units for the support conversation and not because the tactical situation demands it plus unlimited reclassing taking away any uniqueness from the characters plus monotonous objectives plus bare terrain leaves the gameplay woefully inadequate for me.

And it seems it doesn't even stand on narrative since all I hear is fanservise, fanservise, fanservise.

Is there any reason to play awakening really? Honest question to any fans.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
(Crap that I totally agree with)

Is there any reason to play awakening really? Honest question to any fans.

Like I said, Awakening serves as a giant tutorial level for wusses/weebs who're scared of Fire Emblem in it's purest form. Which includes good writing.

Odd that FE:A would've been the series' swan song. I guess it was :incloosive: enough to sell, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom