Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fire Emblem Thread

Kaivokz

Arcane
Nope, hit chance only when firing more than 2 spaces away. And Bow Knight gets +2 Bow Range, Bowfaire, and has the same movement as a Paladin. With Failnaught, 5 range basic attack, 8 range Deadeye. I would imagine hitting is nigh impossibru tho, haven't tried it yet. It's considered the best class in the game for good reason. And the reason I trained my Claude for Riding over Flying. Dude's just a fucking monster.
Bow Knight seems really strong. Had a chance to play again today and I'm about to finish chapter 9. I'm enjoying maddening more than hard, but my units are pretty overpowered again. Dimitri and Dedue are both one man armies. Mercedes has gotten crazy level ups, so she has enough magic to stand between the two of them and physic if needed or hit things from range 4 with heavy magic attacks because of Thrysus...

It likely will work out....if you can get to mastering War Master before the entirety of the game is over. On Hard most characters didn't come close to mastering the level 30 classes. Obviously Maddening has more enemies, and they're sturdier which makes for a lot more class xp, but you'll also probably hit 30 much later from the reduced xp. Llevel 30 without the statue bonuses will likely not happen until Chapter 15 or 16. It's a solid plan for a memebuild for sure tho, because everything else in the game stacks. Including inherent Weight -5 that a Fortress Knight gets, and the Heavy Armor skill. Flat +10 Attack Speed for the slowest class in the game.
I just finished chapter 9 and I'm hovering around level 22, but I have +20% exp and +1 class exp from the statues just from renown I've gotten this game. I imagine I can probably have Dedue master War Master before too late, though that isn't even really needed for the build; all he needs is massive strength, vantage, wrath, a beastly axe, retribution, and maybe battalion wrath. The only thing I'm missing now is Wrath, and I'll get that soon!

Aura is a Faith spell, and I think only Byleth, Marianne, and maybe 1 or 2 others get that spell. Felix gets Thunder, and Thoron from Reason....and that's it. From Faith Nosferatu is the only Attack spell he gets.
Ah, you're right. Can't believe they made Felix have a budding talent in Reason, encouraging you to move into it, and then only gave him two spells! And without meta-gaming the only way to know that he doesn't gain any more spells after rank C is to level him all the way up... Glad you tipped me off so I could switch my focus to sword/authority.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Replaying Thracia right now.

I like how strategic is this game compared to others in the series. The fact that you don't get any gold and you have to capture enemies or steal from them to have any money, weapons or consumables makes it awesome. A common criticism to FE games is that they are easy if you don't play to keep everyone alive. Here, because is not enough to kill the enemy, but you need to get some good weapons, you get challenge with this great mechanic in an organic way.

It portrays very well the asimetric warfare aspect, where you are a rogue guerrilla that must use anything you can to keep going. You get maimed in chapter 4, getting imprisoned and without some of your best units (Dagda, Finn, Orsin, Saphy...) and you have to escape, improvise and adapt to the situation , getting into encounters where your objective must be to escape and getting what you can to continue alive and kicking.

This game is best in series, period. Not only has great tactical encounters and maps, but it is a cohesive evolved campaign where you start being the underdog and eventually become stronger, getting different kind of battles, and both parts of the game work very well and are challenging.

Last edited:

Ysaye

Arbiter
Replaying Thracia right now.

I like how strategic is this game compared to others in the series. The fact that you don't get any gold and you have to capture enemies or steal from them to have any money, weapons or consumables makes it awesome. A common criticism to FE games is that they are easy if you don't play to keep everyone alive. Here, because is not enough to kill the enemy, but you need to get some good weapons, you get challenge with this great mechanic in an organic way.

It portrays very well the asimetric warfare aspect, where you are a rogue guerrilla that must use anything you can to keep going. You get maimed in chapter 4, getting imprisoned and without some of your best units (Dagda, Finn, Orsin, Saphy...) and you have to escape, improvise and adapt to the situation , getting into encounters where your objective must be to escape and getting what you can to continue alive and kicking.

This game is best in series, period. Not only has great tactical encounters and maps, but it is a cohesive evolved campaign where you start being the underdog and eventually become stronger, getting different kind of battles, and both parts of the game work very well and are challenging.

I really like everything about that escape sequence and just working with whatever you have; that is a truly great bit of role-playing fun there and if only more games did that.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I really like everything about that escape sequence and just working with whatever you have; that is a truly great bit of role-playing fun there and if only more games did that.
The other games don't put you in that situation. If you are not very bad, and free a couple villages you have always gold available to buy weapons, vulneraries, etc. The only challenge is the encounters. Here you have to plan and gather resources for following battles. Also take the decission between getting XP for you new weaker units and manage to escape the big amount of reinforcements chasing you. Great stuff.

Also the skills are fun and powerful. FE6 y 7 seem very dumbed down compared to Thracia.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
For its flaws, Fire Emblem: Three Houses is by far the best written Fire Emblem game since the GBA. You can't satisfy everyone, it's not all fluff, and they managed to return elements of tragedy, political intrigue/mystery, and actual dramatic conflict to the narrative, the Supports, etc. The worldbuilding nurtures some interest in the setting and narrative senses when it is best not to explain something.

By making all the factions and leaders morally gray, it also cleverly subverted certain tropes in the series.
For example, the "good-aligned" dragonkin 'Mankate' who are usually represented as misunderstood sources of wisdom and goodness in the other games are quite Machiavellian/Illuminati/fanatical in maintaining their civilization preserving but oppressive and stagnant peace, while the "bad aligned" Empire, as in all games the invading force that breaks centuries of peace, have just cause to be angry at the Mankete's status quo and a reason to want to break it

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there any way to play these games on the PC? Ideally the latest or best ones?

Everything before 3 Houses should be able to be emulated I think.

1. Genealogy of Holy War and Tharcia (both win fan translation) in SNES.
2. 3 FE games for GBA (1 with fan TL, 2 official English release).
3. Path of Radiance on Gamecube.
4. Radiant Down on Wii.
5. Awakening and Fates on 3DS (dunno how well citra runs nowadays).

There are also remakes for the first 2 games for DS and a remake for old spinoffs for 3DS.

3 Houses is in Switch which emulation is still very early and unlikely to be able to be played in near future.

Tigranes

Arcane
For its flaws, Fire Emblem: Three Houses is by far the best written Fire Emblem game since the GBA. You can't satisfy everyone, it's not all fluff, and they managed to return elements of tragedy, political intrigue/mystery, and actual dramatic conflict to the narrative, the Supports, etc. The worldbuilding nurtures some interest in the setting and narrative senses when it is best not to explain something.

By making all the factions and leaders morally gray, it also cleverly subverted certain tropes in the series.
For example, the "good-aligned" dragonkin 'Mankate' who are usually represented as misunderstood sources of wisdom and goodness in the other games are quite Machiavellian/Illuminati/fanatical in maintaining their civilization preserving but oppressive and stagnant peace, while the "bad aligned" Empire, as in all games the invading force that breaks centuries of peace, have just cause to be angry at the Mankete's status quo and a reason to want to break it

Fire Emblem is a combat game with occasionally decent setting, it ain't fucking Witcher. All of that might be true but does that make the game worth playing?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
If emulation counts, nearly all of them can be played, no idea how switch emulation is coming along. If emulation doesn't count, then no.

Okay thanks for the info. Actually switch emulation is coming along nicely. Which one should I play first?

Personally I would play Tharcia I guess and just play onwards to the newer games.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
If emulation counts, nearly all of them can be played, no idea how switch emulation is coming along. If emulation doesn't count, then no.

Okay thanks for the info. Actually switch emulation is coming along nicely. Which one should I play first?
Path of Radiance is probably the best all around package. The first 3 are a bit rough around the edges but aren't bad, with some exception for 2 which has its issues. Genealogy(FE4) and Thracia(FE5) for the SNES have a ton of ideas in them the series cribs from every now and then but I'm not sure if I would recommend them to get into the series. 4's maps are huge and will take about as much time as 3-4 maps in any other game in the series, and 5 is known for being really difficult and stacking the odds against you as much as possible. The Binding Blade(FE6) for the GBA is another unpolished game due to development troubles. FE7 is another really good starting point as another all around good game. Sacred Stones(FE8) is a bit on the easy side, even on hard mode. Radiant Dawn(FE10) for the Wii has a ton of little issues which might make you hate it like constantly switching playable characters, the jumping from different armies in different chapters, and a really long endgame. The two DS ones are just remakes of 1&3, if you are doing this then skip Shadow Dragon(FE11) and go to New Mystery of the Emblem(FE12). I personally hate Awakening(FE13) for it's awful writing and lackluster map design, and when I saw Fates(FE14) was more of the same I didn't even bother so I can't comment on them. Echoes for the 3DS is a remake of 2 and it's more of a curiousity for people into the series already so I wouldn't start with it either.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I think FE7 and Path of radiance are the 2 best starting points. Very good games overall. FE7 has better visuals with the sick sprites and animations, and Path of Radiance has more polished mechanics.

If you don't mind very hard difficulty with some bullshit moments, I think Fire emblem 5 is the best game in the series.

I would avoid FE4,FE6 and Awakening. The first 2 for being very unpolished, and Awakening for being a clear decline.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Fire Emblem is a combat game with occasionally decent setting, it ain't fucking Witcher. All of that might be true but does that make the game worth playing?

Not sure I 100% agree, but putting that aside:

The game is somewhat easy (not half as bad as Awakening, though) even with self imposed challenges like not allowing a unit to die or using time reversal to go back to previous turns (although this idea is promising in concept and occasionally in execution because it allows Intelligent Systems to create sudden reversals of fortune or changed objectives in the middle of battle, when your troops aren't in ideal positions, without having to go all the way back to start of a 20-30 turn battle every time it happens). The combat design isn't as challenging as Conquest, although it is less gimmicky if that matters and feels more like warring.

If nothing else, I think this edition of the system is a lot of fun to learn and figure out It's more complex and strategic than previous Fire Emblems (for example, raising skills in from E to A unlocks abilities, such as the 'Curved Shot' ability in archers that lets them hit like Knights in chess, from an angle at three squares removed, as well as a 'long shot' type ability that can provoke stagnant enemies into coming to get you instead of waiting in their kill boxes, etc). Growing units down different paths is fun and takes some looking/planning ahead.

They are creating a maddening difficulty. Maybe that will better proportion the difficulty of the content to these systems.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Thanks for all the info guys.
No problem. If you are looking for the most difficult one, Tigranes is probably the person to go to here.

I think there's others way better informed than me, but personally I would say FE7 is the best introduction to the series - I would tell almost anybody to go through FE7/8, and then check out Genealogy/Thracia & Fates Conquest (skipping all dialogue). Maybe I'm in the minority for recommending Conquest all the time, but I think its encounter design and difficulty is top notch FE.

I'm personally not a massive fan of POR/RD - I think they lose the snappy controls & pacing & visuals of the GBA titles and also start off way too easy - but they are generally all-rounded titles and well liked.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Well I have beaten two routes now, the Church and Blue Lions, and I guess the endings are just all going to suck. For what its worth, if you don't use the infinite grind on normal it would be a decent challenge for a newcomer. This isn't Awakening where enemies don't even have skills. Well I'm starting the Golden Deer on hard now. After this, I'll do Black Eagles on the hardest difficulty.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Ok I haven't touched the game in 3 days because I'm so burnt out. I have 240 hours on my save file so I'm taking a break. If I ever hear about how Maddening is from someone else before I eventually get back to the game, I'll post it here.

Started playing Fire Emblem Awakening as my first FE game. I am immediately enamored by it. It's incredibly charming. I'm still early in the game, but i have a few questions. 1. (and i assume the answer to this is a yes, of course dummy) Do characters unlock new abilities as they level up? I have gotten a handful of level ups, but none of my chars have as of yet unlocked any abilities, and 2. Does this game feature a job system or anything like that where you can switch classes and mix/match abilities?

btw I know people don't always have the best opinion about Awakening. I'm playing it because it's what best available for me. I will play other entries in the series for sure.

TigerKnee

Arcane
1. (and i assume the answer to this is a yes, of course dummy) Do characters unlock new abilities as they level up? I have gotten a handful of level ups, but none of my chars have as of yet unlocked any abilities
For basic classes, you get an ability at level 1 and 10
For promoted classes, the ability is at 5 and 15.

2. Does this game feature a job system or anything like that where you can switch classes and mix/match abilities?
There's an item called the Second Seal that resets your level (though you keep the stats) and allows you to change class trees (different depending on the character except for the MC who has access to everything)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom