Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fire Emblem Thread

Puukko

Arcane
Dabbled in some Thracia 776. The first couple missions were smooth sailing, and then Chapter 2X came around. It's the first one with fog of war, which isn't too bad, but getting to the end still takes a solid 45 minutes. There are two recruitable dudes at the end, a myrmidon and thief, sitting on forts. The idea is to capture them and finish the chapter. The way you capture is by using the capture command on a unit with superior CON which deals a weak attack, and that's how you get them to 0HP. Obviously, them being on forts, they have high defense, regenerate, and the myrmidon has a killing edge so you don't want anyone but your strong units near him. Naturally, one of my axe dudes gets a lucky crit and kills the myrmidon from low health. Anticipating this, I had made a save state, which had somehow already been corrupted, which has never happened to me before. To be clear, I don't intend to make use of those to make the game easier, since the advertised difficulty is a major draw, but I definitely wanted to capture this guy. I restart, make it to the end, and it goes even worse, because I lose one of my axe dudes to him and then manage to crit again. At that point I make peace with the fact I won't be able to recruit everyone. Oddly enough the thief is unarmed which enabled instant capture, so it wasn't all for nothing. But man, what a spree of terrible luck.

Thracia-776-Lil-Manster-v1-08-221116-042901.png

Yeah, well, you could have been more cooperative.

quixotic

Learned
Dabbled in some Thracia 776. The first couple missions were smooth sailing, and then Chapter 2X came around. It's the first one with fog of war, which isn't too bad, but getting to the end still takes a solid 45 minutes. There are two recruitable dudes at the end, a myrmidon and thief, sitting on forts. The idea is to capture them and finish the chapter. The way you capture is by using the capture command on a unit with superior CON which deals a weak attack, and that's how you get them to 0HP. Obviously, them being on forts, they have high defense, regenerate, and the myrmidon has a killing edge so you don't want anyone but your strong units near him. Naturally, one of my axe dudes gets a lucky crit and kills the myrmidon from low health. Anticipating this, I had made a save state, which had somehow already been corrupted, which has never happened to me before. To be clear, I don't intend to make use of those to make the game easier, since the advertised difficulty is a major draw, but I definitely wanted to capture this guy. I restart, make it to the end, and it goes even worse, because I lose one of my axe dudes to him and then manage to crit again. At that point I make peace with the fact I won't be able to recruit everyone. Oddly enough the thief is unarmed which enabled instant capture, so it wasn't all for nothing. But man, what a spree of terrible luck.

Thracia-776-Lil-Manster-v1-08-221116-042901.png

Yeah, well, you could have been more cooperative.
You don’t have to capture Shiva at all (he isn’t recruitable in this Chapter, and he isn’t hostile either), and Lifis can be captured without any hassle since he doesn’t have any weapons.
Edit, I should’ve read that you already Captured Lifis, sorry about that.

Puukko

Arcane
Dabbled in some Thracia 776. The first couple missions were smooth sailing, and then Chapter 2X came around.

You're going to love chapter 4 then. ;)
I'm aware of this one. I try to go in more or less blind but I know how I am supposed to finish it.

The reason I tried capturing the myrmidon was because I couldn't find any reliable info on the spot. Gamefaqs posts talked about chapter 7 but the wiki pages were stubs and none explicitly said he wasn't recruitable yet. Ah well.

spekkio

Arcane
^
This (mainly) Spanish site I've linked to is a great source of info on older Fire Emblems. (Not)surprisingly, they don't cover extensively only two games from the series: Fates & Three Houses. :salute:

I strongly recommend checking at least the "new units" section if you have problems with some units (recruitable / not / how).

Tigranes

Arcane
Series long known for dumpster fire aesthetics invents, new, smellier dumpster fire

Would be preferable if somehow all the characters were replaced with teletubbies

Endemic

Arcane
Leif starts off weak (he's stuck in a trainee class) and needs all the help he can get, given how rough the whole Manster sequence is.

Also, you've got dodgetank Eyvel as a crutch, since she's functionally invulnerable until she leaves the party.

Puukko

Arcane
They've clearly put in a lot of effort into the visuals and I like the animations and general flair. Which makes the character designs even more puzzling.

Sòren

Arcane
would anyone here recommend playing Awakening, Fates or Echoes?
i don't believe any of these is a masterpiece, but i thought about giving one of them a chance at least. so any recommendations?

Puukko

Arcane
i don't believe any of these is a masterpiece, but i thought about giving one of them a chance at least. so any recommendations?
Echoes is generally considered the strongest of that lot aside from the maps. It's on my backlog and I'd be playing more of it if I hadn't misplaced the controller grip for my phone. If emulating, grab the excellent HD texture pack.

Awakening... can be fun, and it allows you to break the game with hilariously strong pairups. I did enjoy my time with it but it has lots of pitfalls. Mediocre story with tropey characters. I'm not going to recommend for or against it.

Fates I don't have the experience to comment on. Apparently Revelations can be worthwhile.

Sòren

Arcane
Good read:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/the-fire-emblem-thread.96492/page-37#post-7877601

Echoes >>> Awakening >>>>>>>>> Fates

read ur reviews, and while u didn't enjoy Fates, i believe it might be just the game i want (autistic masochistic pleasures and all that). either that or Echoes.

to be more specific about this: is Fates as cheesy and kitschy in writing as Awakening? i have only a superficial understanding of what is going on in Awakening, but it sounds pretty stupid.

Sòren

Arcane
okay, thank u for ur input.

i will choose Echoes then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom