Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The First Game To Go Public On Steam For Golden Era (Post Grimoire)

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Survival horror and it's getting a little beta testing right now. I predict it will have a page up on Steam very soon and will be released in the next three months.

The last time I announced the title, somebody stole it and put a prototype up on Steam with that very name.

The reason I told the story a while back about the night I got locked in on the Bowling Green subway platform and woke up to some kind of giant rat nightmare is that I have had a game idea inspired by it I have been toying with for at least three decades.

It sort of caught fire a while back when my interest in POST-ATOMIC fizzled for a while but I've been working every single night on it for several weeks. The more I do on it, the more excited I get about it. It's scaring me because it is based on similar impressions I have had of being stuck in the subway system at night with the gates to the surface locked around me. I have a few other elements and some game mechanics going right now. Including inventory, sound-based detection by enemies and even a couple classic adventure game puzzles in it.

It's really shaping up to be the kind of survival horror I wanted it to be.

Chances are the first screenshots will be posted here before I upload it for Steam to have a look at.

The sound is quite good, too. Things improved when I could move beyond 8 bit retro sound effects and music.

Best of all, ammunition is extremely scarce and firing a gun will only bring down hell on you anyway. The emphasis is on stealth and using various game mechanics to get around the menaces.

I've made good use of cookie projectors. There is something really frightening I have found in seeing shadows without actually seeing the menace in many places. I also stuck in a few jump scares but that's not a crutch leaned on anywhere.

Last edited:

Iri

Educated
This actually sounds right up my alley. So 3 months.... what is that in non-neandrathal time... 12 years? I'll buy it on release and not play it til it's patched up a year later like everything nowadays. See you in 2031, can't wait Cleve! :salute:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Survival horror? Does it include cosmic horror?

VggZYI8.png

Armoire: Heralds of the Eldritch Abomination

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Is this done with Unity the way you mentioned you might do some time ago?

Yes. With actual PBR and substance textures, quite a ways from Grimoire in graphics.

It is running pretty fast on my dev machine and if it runs fast on my machine it will run fast anywhere.

A few hints if you are working in Unity :

1. Atlas all textures when you have final architecture.
2. Combine all static meshes into one parented group.
3. All sounds should be catalogued under one listener.
4. Preload everything.
5. Optimize deferred and leave forward as an option for rendering.
6. Leave out post-processing frills except for optimized bloom, vignette and blurs ... the others are too expensive and are not worth the effect anyway.
7. Flares are a cheap method of enhancing light sources.
6. You really don't need more than a half dozen realtime shadows combined with light mapping for it to look AAA.

You can get Unity to run at the speeds that Sauerbraten does but with PBR even on old machines using these tricks.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Proper optimization gives me a raging hard-on, the world needs more devs like Cleve. Looking forward to this.

Diggfinger

Arcane
The world needs more horror, and I'm all for this game :salute:

'Ive made good use of cookie projectors. There is something really frightening I have found in seeing shadows without actually seeing the menace in many places. I also stuck in a few jump scares but that's not a crutch leaned on anywhere.

Btw. what's a cookie projector?
And why does Cleve need one to make his game?

hqdefault.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom