Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware The Forest (PC and Oculus Rift)

Suchy

Arcane
Well, yet another FP survival horror/hiking sim hybrid, but damn - it does look nice. Since personally I'm interested in Oculus Rift and will definitely buy the final version, I'll probably give this game a try.

http://survivetheforest.com/hom/

praetor

Arcane
i still remember the days when tech demos made me go "WTF?! how's that possible! how can a game be so beautiful and real time?! i need to sell my kidneys to buy a new pc!"... what happened to those days? wtf is this newfaggotry shit? why can't we be wowed anymore? :decline:

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Do not call the Wolf from the Forest.
One day, sitting with your Occulus Rift and 3D sound wireless headset, you will have a heart attack seizure, shit your pants and die in a pathetic, shameful and very uncomfortable way.

Someone would have to clean the floor that you'd soiled.

Last edited:
The thing I most dislike lately with these games is how you watch a video and you just can't tell where the scripted, computer-controlled events end and the player control begins. Every game that tries to look hyper-realistic does it and it really feels like they are trying to put in as little player control as they can get away with to tie their scripted story together. You just can't trust them any more.

Anyway it looks very nice but I wouldn't buy it for the reasons I just mentioned

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I want this to be very nice, but I'm fearful that it will just be like Minecraft except you have to wait and watch all the specific animations for all the shit you do. It makes sense for removing some resources to take longer than others, but I don't really like the idea of repeatedly chopping an axe to watch the nice, detailed, gradual tree separating animation each time I need more wood.

A user named cat

This actually looks quite good and promising for a shit-gen indie title which I rarely have any interest in, just hoping all those intense bits they showed weren't scripted sequences and not everything is overly automatated (who am I kidding?). At the very least it's damn pretty and seems atmospheric, so it could make for a good hiking sim and playground.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Anyone play it yet? It actually doesn't seem that bad. AI interactions are really good and for an early alpha it's already pretty robust.

I'm curious to see where they end up taking it.

Dexter

Arcane
Waiting for Oculus DK2 in a month+ and the game to get cheaper to play, but definitely seems interesting.

TedNugent

Arcane
I bought it.

It's pretty badass (for an alpha).

The bones are there. Enemy AI is very convincing with very creepy behaviors. Cannibals stop and stare at you during the day. If they are afraid of you or outnumbered, they will back off and regroup. They attack in groups. During the day after I killed one of them, I charged at one with an axe. It crawled up a tree to get away from me. When I chopped down the tree, it jumped off the tree, hissed at me, ran off towards a female nearby and they stalked me. When I didn't back off they each charged at me.

Enemies behave defensively during the day and during the night they hunt you. They patrol your encampment. They find you the first night so be ready the first night. They stalk your encampment and leave effigies of the heads of your plane crash victims. I woke up one morning and I found one plane crash victim's head with pens stuffed in his nostrils and a shoe on his head. Scared the fuck out of me. I swear it wasn't there the night before.

Building shit is stressful. Eat candy bars, work all night. Build a quick fort. You can trick the cannibal pathing if you build narrow mazes of Defensive walls. If you build an effigy it just seems to piss them off and you should expect cannibal hunting parties to show up at your encampment in regular intervals.

The game is fucking scary. It's good for $15 even in its current state.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
From what I've seen the enemies are very common and they take a ridiculous amout of hits to take down. I would like that to change before I pay much more attention to the game, because it looks like a chore to play.

A user named cat

I wanted to check out some gameplay and see where it's at, this is what Youtube has to offer instead just searching the game title:

ktmBo8s.jpg

Jesus fuck, someone kill these LPers and their stupid channels. I don't want to hear faggot commentary, can I just get some decent FRAPs footage with game audio? I wish I could just herd them all into a room and hire the Inquisition from the First Law trilogy to torture and silence them forever.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Patch 0.04

>More variation to female cannibal models, added procedural breasts size system

Clearly a fundamental feature has been added with the last patch.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Patch 0.04

>More variation to female cannibal models, added procedural breasts size system

Clearly a fundamental feature has been added with the last patch.
i might be getting this game after all

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
The game's actually quite fun. I'm just going to hold off until there's more actual content, but for now there's a few hours of interesting play to be had by the alpha. The AI is very fun to play around with.

Looking quite interesting in terms of sandbox potential. Whether it actually provides any freedom of that kind I can't yet tell.

A little too much focus on the menial larping activities for my liking though. If you could save at any time and didn't have to repeat things then I wouldn't really mind but campfire checkpoints don't bode well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom