Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Forgotten City - time loop adventure set in a cursed Roman city

toughasnails

They are, this thread is p much the only place I've encountered so many of them.
If anything the PC Gamer article on the first page kinda nails the underlying themes. The game is about surveillance and self-policing & mutually policing paranoia, the totalitarianism where the rules seem to be inscrutable and fluid. It's the sort of critique of panopticism that used to be the domain of leftist critics but is nowadays a common talking point among conservatives. Think the talk about the constantly changing rules of political correctness where everyone is self-policing, insecure and paranoid, or about social networks with their deliberately vague and ambiguous terms of service and their seemingly above the law Silicon valley owners...

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
this thread is p much the only place I've encountered so many of them

It's depressing that this is the only place where people will loudly complain about games with historical settings who feature NPCs who sound like reddit mods.
More like this is the only place in which people are still allowed (for now) to indulge in their insanity and ramblings that don't even have the mental strength anymore to see a woman or a person of color or (gasp!) a gay man in a game without having a mental breakdown and seeing some kind of cabalistic agenda in every shadow.

Really, we should probably help them, but it's just so much fun to poke those failed rejects flailing at reality and see them explode each time.
It's like popping a pimple. Gross, probably not a good idea, but strangely satisfying.

About the game, no, it's not woke. You have a believable-enough assortment of characters from around the time period dealing with their issues and the events unfolding around them.
It's not historical and it doesn't claim to be. This is the important part, just in case anyone is wondering.
It only sports claims of historical art, architecture, etc. which is done well-enough, from what I understand.

Honestly, if a game has as high ratings as this one (way over 90% positive and I mean from gamers, not from "journalists"), it's probably very good at what it attempts to do and did not fall into the trap of trying to push some agenda at the cost of general writing quality.
In these highly-rated cases, you can generally disgregard the ramblings.

There are lots of examples of games hurt by woke agenda-pushing. But even those games usually suck for other reasons, not primarily their wokeness.
Either way, this isn't one of them.

toughasnails

^Just look at the Selaco thread, WHY it got ruined and the dev chased away (after being called a groomer). I still have no idea how they took the pic that started it as signifying what they think (or wish) it signifies...

Pound Meat

Prophet
^Just look at the Selaco thread, WHY it got ruined and the dev chased away (after being called a groomer). I still have no idea how they took the pic that started it as signifying what they think (or wish) it signifies...
The dev was a prick who only came here to dab on us evil right wingers for not kneeling at the altar of trannyism.

Spukrian

Savant
So I played through this. It's a weird mix, that's for sure. It's ambitious, but maybe not ambitious enough? I feel that the developers played it a bit too safe, as if afraid to scare away the player. But overall I enjoyed it.

The game delves into mythologies, nice! Wish they had gone even deeper... No Norse Mythology though, sadly.

I tried to play through the game with a Star Trek's Prime Directive in mind, i.e. trying not impose modern values on to these people or being to vocal with my opinions. This worked out great, there were only very few times when I broke this rule.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom