Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Future is Now...

MetalCraze

Arcane
LOLWAT? Exactly the same architecture?
Welcome to the real world.

Next thing you say that they run DOS. They are different.
No they are not. How about you will educate yourself and see that X360 uses exactly the same architecture as PC? CPU -> Mobo -> RAM / GPU / HDD

Not only that but XBox3 will have AMD Bulldozer CPU and AMD Radeon GPU which makes it on par with top PCs from 2-3 years ago due to shitty CPU. And Windows 8 will have XBox Live integrated.

Because they share the exact same architecture the multiplatform development is so easy.

There are similarities, but they are nowhere the same. This is why you can still make a decent looking game on a console, although their CPU, RAM and graphics processor is crappy and outdated.
You can make a "decent" looking game on consoles because 90% of games today are made for consoles and thus have same shitty graphics. It's hard to look bad when everyone around you is ugly.

And while Halo 3 didn't look that good, games like Project Gotham Racing 3 was a very good looking game.
But... but you said X360 exclusives were SUPER AWSUM STRONG PC ONE ONE ONE and now Halo 3 "didn't look that good".

I think I just heard somebody jumping on a bike and starting to backpedal.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not only that but XBox3 will have AMD Bulldozer CPU and AMD Radeon GPU which makes it on par with top PCs from 2-3 years ago due to shitty CPU.
But that doesn't matter that much. Because it is a fix platform, devs can make much more looking games on it that on a PC with the same specs.

Let me show you something. This game was made on the PS2 (300 MHz CPU):
ps2-3-11311226247.jpg

And this is what you get for PC for 300 MHz:
system-shock-2-03.jpg

I think the difference in level of detail is obvious.

MetalCraze

Arcane
What J_C is saying is that all that PCs and consoles consist of are CPUs and CPUs render graphics.

So you compare a game that uses GPU tech from '98 to a game that uses GPU tech from '00 while running at a very low resolution? Better backpedal now and say "lolo I troll'd ya" before you dig yourself in further.

Twinkle

Liturgist
To be fair Xbawks's GPU was pretty advanced at the time of release. It definitely outclassed popular midrange solutions like 7600gt.

Still the notion that PC had to catch up is utterly ridiculous both in regards to raw performance and graphics quality. Even first-wave multiplatform releases (CoD2, Quake 4, Condemned, Oblivion, Hitman: blood Money etc.) looked the same or better on the PC.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Some pretty poor trolling going on ITT.

Next week: We learn how a 48kW Fiat Panda is much faster and more luxurious than a 418kW Bentley Continental GT, the massive price difference is only for the lulz, and even supercars of years later won't match its AWESUM POWAR.

Angthoron

Arcane
Some pretty poor trolling going on ITT.

Next week: We learn how a 48kW Fiat Panda is much faster and more luxurious than a 418kW Bentley Continental GT, the massive price difference is only for the lulz, and even supercars of years later won't match its AWESUM POWAR.

BUT BRO IN CONGESTED TRAFFIC 48kW FIAT PANDA IS SO MUCH BETTER AND ALSO yeah trolling got pretty poor and it's only the second page.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
WTF bulldozer? why would they use BD chips in next gen consoles? those things suck power like fiends, and i cant imagine the heat output would be good in one of those retarded cramped console boxes. i also heard that the gpu will be a 6670, which is like, 50 bucks at the comp store, and that optical drives will be scrapped because, well, does anybody even use them anymore? oh and ssds too!

anyways, hardly any games require any gpu grunt anymore (even witcher 2, which was the most intense pc game ive played so far, worked fine @ ultra (ubersampling off) on my 6950.) i dont think ill bother upgrading anytime soon, not until haswell anyway

edit: lol i was wrong, you can get a gigabyte 6670 on newegg for 40 bucks AMIR, + dirt3

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ugh TW2 has console graphics since it was developed for consoles bro.

In PC version it just has better textures and SSAO

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
well i thought it looked nice :C

in any case, it was the most demanding game ive played, oh apart from metro i guess

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Honestly everything looks like SHIT after I played the TERA Online Beta. Apart from the "korean mmo" art-direction, it's by a far shot the best looking game I ever played and the only one where I really felt like playing a game that was making my graphic card worth the money.

MPYRih.jpg

(actual screenshot I took)

Game journalists keep shouting "OMG, look at SKYRIM Graphics!", but a fucking Korean MMO, with thousand of creatures and players at the same time is insanely better looking than any AAAA++ single-player game shitty developer make for shitty old consoles...:decline:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Wow that does indeed look amazing.
Yeah, and when you see that quality in a huge city with 50 mounted bros running around and casting spells, with your PC running tight at 60 fps and no slowdowns, you simply can't take any other game graphic seriously...

Gord

Arcane
I think the biggest advantage of consoles is the homogeneous hardware environment.
It both enables and forces the devs to put some thought into optimization.

Who knows, even relatively lackluster Bulldozer CPUs might shine in a console with software that's optimized for it.

Destroid

Arcane
Honestly everything looks like SHIT after I played the TERA Online Beta. Apart from the "korean mmo" art-direction, it's by a far shot the best looking game I ever played and the only one where I really felt like playing a game that was making my graphic card worth the money.

(actual screenshot I took)

Game journalists keep shouting "OMG, look at SKYRIM Graphics!", but a fucking Korean MMO, with thousand of creatures and players at the same time is insanely better looking than any AAAA++ single-player game shitty developer make for shitty old consoles...:decline:

The Korean MMO makers have more money than EA.

EDIT: You are fooling yourself if you think Bulldozer was picked for any other reason than cost.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I think the biggest advantage of consoles is the homogeneous hardware environment.
It both enables and forces the devs to put some thought into optimization.

Who knows, even relatively lackluster Bulldozer CPUs might shine in a console with software that's optimized for it.

An optimization for what? Another shitty corridor shooter with 5 scripted bots at once? Or a console "sandbox" game which takes place among indestructible low poly paper boxes called a "city" for some reason?

Shit hardware doesn't enforce thinking about optimization. But it enforces cutting stuff out badly and making really primitive games because you also need graphics that won't make a consoletard puke.

Gord

Arcane
Shitty games are shitty no matter the hardware.
But that's not the point. The point is that they offer a better ecosystem for optimizations and developers cannot simply count on users throwing a better CPU/GPU at their newest toy that barely surpasses 20 fps. Would their audience be a different one we might have seen more efforts going into gameplay, but alas, that's not the case.

Gord

Arcane
I don't know where this Bulldozer bullshit comes from. The next Xbox is using an IBM Power PC, while the PS4 is supposedly using an AMD Fusion.

A fusion APU, according to rumors, therefore one that will likely be based on Bulldozer architecture (or more precisely an advanced iteration, like Piledriver or above).
Probably something like Trinity on steroids, but with a more advanced Southern Islands GPU architecture.
However, SI is 28nm, Piledriver is still 32nm, I really wonder how they will manage to reconcile this and still get sufficient yields (considering their problems with that in the past).

Still, if it enables AMD to make some money from it and finally get some good CPU out again that's able to compete with Intel, I'm all for it.

Gord

Arcane
It has been very underwhelming, yes.
It's doing good enough in highly multithreaded applications (the 4M/8C variants do, at least) and has support for some modern instruction sets, but other than that it's nowhere near as good as people had hoped (or AMD has lead them to believe pre-release).
Not reaching the necessary frequencies to deliver decent performance and too power-hungry when overclocked.
Software isn't exactly optimized for it, either.

This might change somewhat with Piledriver, but I wouldn't expect real wonders there - although the Trinity APUs seem to hint at some improvements at least (it does have low power consumption in the mobile variant).
If they can improve on that a bit more until the release of the PS4, it might actually (almost, probably) deliver what people had expected from Bulldozer.
What I'm hoping for is that they put at least a hexacore variant in the PS4, this might finally lead to generally better and more multithreading in gaming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom