Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Future of The Witcher and CD Projekt

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><a href="http://www.gamergaia.com/home/gaming-news/2-news/898-future-of-witcher-and-cd-projekt-an-interview.html">A post release interview with Michal Nowakowski</a>, Vice President of Business Development at CD Projekt RED talked with gamergaia:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><strong>First, I have to ask you about the reactions to the game, are you happy with the overall hype? We really loved it here at GamerGaia and I personally added a note to my review stating that it is probably the best RPG title after Baldur&rsquo;s Gate 2.</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>MICHAL NOWAKOWSKI: Thank you for the kind words - it is always great to be compared to really great games such as Baldur&rsquo;s Gate 2! In terms of whether we are happy with the reaction - I would say overall yes. The reviews were great, at least most of them, people's comments were also on the positive side in most cases. Of course, it is those that are negative that worry us the most. I know the team noted down the most recurring comments, and are taking them into consideration with patches, etc. Gamers feedbacks are super important to the team.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><strong>Now, I would like to ask a few questions regarding the general gaming scene. Today, companies make ridiculously huge amounts of money from mediocre games and it became more like a business rather than entertainment. There are some games with a profit margin more than the GDP of an average 3rd world country. Do you think that the gaming industry will face with a major failure in the near future like the music industry did back in early 2000s?</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>MN: First of all, the games industry as such has always been business. With the exception of demo scene in the 80/90s, dev groups have always been making games to make money, and publishers were selling them also to make money. As much as we may or may not like it, development of games costs a lot of money as well, and people who make these games need to make a living too. It is a job, but not like any other. It is a job with a passion. However, even tons of passion will not help if the game does not sell at all. In such case, next project of the dev team is cancelled and the team has to look for a job. Do I think dev money is easy money? No, as for every successful project that sells well and sees sequels, there are dozens of games that either do not get finished because of lack of financing or ones that do not sell good or good enough and their sequels are canned.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Is it easier for Publishers or Distributors? Not really either - there is always a risk of financial losses, and getting black in the P&amp;L is not as easy as it may seem from the outside. And trust me, publishers also do not make profit of the size you are suggesting - look at EA posting loss results for so many past quarters. It is a business of risk, and a pretty big one. Finally - do I think that games industry faces failure as music industry did? I think we will see changes rather than some sales breakdown. In fact, these changes are already happening. We will see bigger shift from retail sales to digital distribution and perhaps some other methods of reaching content you want to play online.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><strong>CD Projekt RED is a company that stands strong against major companies. However, there is always a risk of being pushed out of the market. Your independent attitude is well received among the gamers, do you intend to keep your indie status? What are your future plans regarding the company?</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>MN: We do intend to keep the indie status. We are listed on the Warsaw Stock Exchange and as such are reasonably well funded. Well enough to continue our operations without selling ourselves to bigger entity. As for the plans, heh. We plan to keep making games with passion, and hope that gamers keep on enjoying them! And that really is about it - we may experiment with new platforms, maybe even new LPs in the future, but the general idea is to keep making games, and get better at doing that with every next release.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>It is a rather short interview, so <a href="http://www.gamergaia.com/home/gaming-news/2-news/898-future-of-witcher-and-cd-projekt-an-interview.html">read the entire article here</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/">RPGWatch</a></p>

Arcanoix

Scholar
"It's always been a business."

Yeah except back in the day companies made 30-40% markup, today they want to go for 300-400% markup. Assholes.

Regdar

Arcane
What? No lies, no corporate talking points? You disappoint me, CD Projekt.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Regdar said:
What? No lies, no corporate talking points? You disappoint me, CD Projekt.

poland has yet to research marketing buzzword speak and add it into their core competencies for synergistic leveraging

perhaps they will exchange Potato VIII tech for it in diplomatic agreements

BehindTimes

Novice
Arcanoix said:
"It's always been a business."

Yeah except back in the day companies made 30-40% markup, today they want to go for 300-400% markup. Assholes.

Most games fail though. If a company can make one successful game, it helps fund other potential games, which most likely will just drain money. If only games which made money succeeded, and kept the markup for only 30-40% we most likely would see barely any games, as most companies would probably cease to exist, or just choose not to develope any games.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
commie said:
Rivmusique said:
Jaesun said:
it is probably the best RPG title after Baldur’s Gate 2

:lol: Oh GamerGaia

Well better to have BG2 as the 'last best RPG' to compare to than 'classics' like DA2 and Fable 3 that Joystiq uses...

At least BG2 is a proper RPG, and the best of Bio.

:what:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
FatCat said:
Konjad said:
BG2 was mediocre. BG was great..

Uhu...BG2 is same as BG , just improved in many way's.

No, they cut out the most fun thing for me - exploration. I can't go wherever I want anytime in BG2. Story in both games suck, characters are mediocre at best. The thing I loved was music, beautiful art direction, fuckload of equipment and exploration, often ending up in finding some well hidden artefact which gave me so much satisfaction. BG2 was just following damned storyline and doing some additional quests along the way. But there was no thrill of unknown. I wasn't going into some place no one ever was in and expect both a bunch of goblins I will slash in no time, or a bunch of wyverns that will slash me. And low level D&D is so much better than high level.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Konjad said:
FatCat said:
Konjad said:
BG2 was mediocre. BG was great..

Uhu...BG2 is same as BG , just improved in many way's.

No, they cut out the most fun thing for me - exploration. I can't go wherever I want anytime in BG2. Story in both games suck, characters are mediocre at best. The thing I loved was music, beautiful art direction, fuckload of equipment and exploration, often ending up in finding some well hidden artefact which gave me so much satisfaction. BG2 was just following damned storyline and doing some additional quests along the way. But there was no thrill of unknown. I wasn't going into some place no one ever was in and expect both a bunch of goblins I will slash in no time, or a bunch of wyverns that will slash me. And low level D&D is so much better than high level.

What exploration? You mean roaming empty locations in vain hope of something interesting to happen? That was one of the worst examples of exploration being done in any RPG. Honestly. I remember comparing how fun was walking around the map in M&M7 at that time, where each new place ment plethora of new quests, new items and new enemies. Is there anything like that in BG? The answer is: not really.

While BG2 cetainly took away that sack of empty, boring locales it shifted the exploration to a different scale. In effect instead of wading through empty spaces fighting kobolds and shit you encountered more meaningful opposition, meaningful quests etc. Yes, it is still exploration poorly done but it was exequted infinitelly better than in BG.

On the side note, the best done exploration aspect in RPG history, to me, was done in Betrayal at Krondor where it simply paid to be adventurous and go off the beaten track. Better yet, the game was strongly reinforced each subquest you might have encounter by chance by making it a part of something bigger. Regarding the quality of exploration this game is unparalled in this respect.

Shannow

Waster of Time
commie said:
Rivmusique said:
Jaesun said:

Well better to have BG2 as the 'last best RPG' to compare to than 'classics' like DA2 and Fable 3 that Joystiq uses...
Nah. TW2 shares nothing with BG2 apart from some overriding label of "RPG". It's like comparing some small Indio tribe in the Amazonas that has no contact with the wider world and some gang in Brooklyn because both are made up of "humans".
Comparisons to (recent) aRPGs make far more sense. (The quality of those comparisons notwithstanding.)

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Shannow said:
commie said:
Rivmusique said:
Jaesun said:

Nah. TW2 shares nothing with BG2 apart from some overriding label of "RPG". It's like comparing some small Indio tribe in the Amazonas that has no contact with the wider world and some gang in Brooklyn because both are made up of "humans".
Comparisons to (recent) aRPGs make far more sense. (The quality of those comparisons notwithstanding.)
If that's the case then The Witcher 2 is the best ARPG since...Arcania? :lol:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Surf Solar said:
commie said:
Rivmusique said:
Jaesun said:

At least BG2 is a proper RPG, and the best of Bio.

:what:

Yes? In what is it not a proper RPG? Does it not implement AD&D rules somewhat correctly? Does it not have stats and character creation? Does it not use die rolls for combat resolution and other things? It may not be a TB step crawler and combat may be a free for all clusterfuck but that's not a reason to not see it as a RPG, more so in the classical sense than TW2 even.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Excidium said:
Shannow said:
commie said:
Rivmusique said:
Jaesun said:

If that's the case then The Witcher 2 is the best ARPG since...Arcania? :lol:
I'd say it's the best aRPG after Gothic 2 and 1. But I'm only in chapter 1, so that judgement might change.
But yes, comparing it to Arcania makes more sense, than comparing it to BG2.

Deleted member 7219

Thank you for the kind words - it is always great to be compared to really great games such as Baldur’s Gate 2!

:x

BG2 was a terrible game. But still not as bad as BG1, I guess. But nothing like a 'great game' or a good RPG.

The last great RPG to be made before Witcher 2 was obviously Fallout New Vegas, and New Vegas did everything better in terms of being an RPG.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Matt7895 said:
Thank you for the kind words - it is always great to be compared to really great games such as Baldur’s Gate 2!

:x

BG2 was a terrible game. But still not as bad as BG1, I guess. But nothing like a 'great game' or a good RPG.

The last great RPG to be made before Witcher 2 was obviously Fallout New Vegas, and New Vegas did everything better in terms of being an RPG.
BG2 was cheap addiction-based shit. The only part of gameplay that was semi-decently done was magic.

FatCat

Educated
DragoFireheart said:
BG2 is about as much of an RPG as Final Fantasy 7 is.

True , both are rpg's.FF7 being a light console rpg and BG2 being pc rpg.Anyone who doesn't consider BG2 an RPG just because he doesn't like it , is a fucking retard.

Deleted member 7219

FatCat said:
DragoFireheart said:
BG2 is about as much of an RPG as Final Fantasy 7 is.

True , both are rpg's.FF7 being a light console rpg and BG2 being pc rpg.If someone doesn't consider BG2 an RPG just because he doesn't like it , is a fucking retard.

I don't like BG2 but admit it is an RPG, it just isn't a very good one.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
People posting in this thread above and below me are dumb.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
In before Vol-

Oh, shit.

I really like CDP-Red for lack of standard corporate babble, I wonder when they'll start doing it. I give it till the Witcher 4 or something. Around the time GOG.com gets bought by EA and every old game in the world gets draconic DRM.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom