Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Goddamn Batman: Arkham Origins

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I got to Deathstroke. Died the first time lawl, beat him second time with the extra armor still on. Fucker doesnt like claws that much.
Got 2 bugs already, one was all sound vanishing from the game but not from the menus and another when I cant get out the room I fought Deathstroke in. A restart fixed both of the problems.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I put a few hours into Arkham origins and can say that it feels much better then Arkham city for me. But the game has bugs. The type of bugs that lock you in a room with no way out. So expect a patch very soon I should imagine.

Well, they got the spirit from first game back then! I remember pulling myself either into abyss or void...
You sure it wasn't piracy measures?

Its possible that its a misfiring anti piracy measure like Arkham asylum had at release. The bug is in The Burnley Tower. You climb in through a side window and hack the terminal at which point Enigma will lock the window with iron bars leaving you a vent on the wall you have to clawshot down before you can climb up. But the problem is that batman is refusing to climb up into the vent. The steam forums is filled with complaints about it. That and the penguins boiler room door refusing to open unless you quit out of the game and reload your save.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Gamespot gave the game a 6 because the feminist tranny reviewer thought it was just repeating AA and AC. So is it worth to demo? The thing's size is 18gb which makes me groan.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Batman beats Deathstroke in this game? I don't recall him ever beating Slade in the comics.

3044365-deathstroke-vs-batman.jpg

Echo Mirage

Arcane
In the continuity before the reboot he beat him once, maybe twice. The one time I recall is when batman was able to sneak up on Deathstroke and KO him by smacking him over the head with his own sniper rifle. Other then that Batman had backup from Robin and Nightwing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Dickbats trounced him when he took over Damian's body and again when he was recovering in the hospital
Batman+And+Robin+%2312+-+deathstroke.jpg

Machocruz

Arcane
Smacking someone laid up in a hospital bed isn't exactly beating them in the competitive sense. The hero we deserve.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Im about 10 hours in, got to teh twist point, like half way through.
Its Arkham City 2.0 with a new story and fast travel. Not much have changed and it feels more like an expansion pack than a full 50 euro sequel.
Story seems kinda short but they put in lots of extra stuff to do, like stop ongoing crimes and lots of villians got their own side missions. Like Mad Hatter for example, nowhere relevant in the story but got his own half hour mission.
I like it so far but game has some bugs and I needed to restart the game quite a few times to pass the parts of the game. Like missing questmarks, doors that wont open, disabled fast travel, and that vent bug that everybody is getting.

Eyeball

Arcane
So with both AA and AC being extremely enjoyable games, is it safe to say that anyone WHO liked those will enjoy this one too, for as long as they don't really expect much of anything new?

So with both AA and AC being extremely enjoyable games, is it safe to say that anyone WHO liked those will enjoy this one too, for as long as they don't really expect much of anything new?

I played for couple hours and so far it seems like most of what they did with gameplay was copy previous games, so if you had fun with those, you should enjoy this one as well. Somewhat buggy though, I have problems activating glide kick mid-air, also there's an upgrade that doesn't unlock even though I meet the requirements for it. I'll probably wait for a patch before continuing.

Machocruz

Arcane
Played some at a friend's house. If you are okay with the idea that a sequel is the same game with refinements and different content, then anyone who enjoyed AC will enjoy AO. It kind of bores me because I never liked the combat in these games and there is much of it, but based on everything else, fans of this series should have fun. I think the reviews are being disingenuous, and further prove that developer or publisher name matters more than the actual game. If Rocksteady was still the developer, it would get the same marks as AC.

If people want "new" they should wait for a new IP or different Batman franchise. Sequels are for delivering more of what people liked about the previous, with improvements.

I believe in maintaining the "integrity" of a series or setting. This is why talk of things like "post apocalyptic Zelda" and the like turn my stomach. Zelda is about Hyrule, and Hyrule is a specific kind of place and era. Even putting trains in a Zelda game was taking it too far for my liking. It's completely random. But people treat these things like skins or mods you can just slap onto an established property and that makes it fresh. Disgusting. It's wrong to me on an intuitive level, I can't really explain it.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think the reviews are being disingenuous, and further prove that developer or publisher name matters more than the actual game. If Rocksteady was still the developer, it would get the same marks as AC.
I've heard from others that the difficulty curve isn't as refined as AC's plus even mainstream reviewers complained about the introduction of game breaking upgrades like shock gloves that let you smash everything to death.

It's no New Arkham or Arkhamshock 2 which is a damn shame.

Machocruz

Arcane
I've heard from others that the difficulty curve isn't as refined as AC's plus even mainstream reviewers complained about the introduction of game breaking upgrades like shock gloves that let you smash everything to death.

It's no New Arkham or Arkhamshock 2 which is a damn shame.

I guess. I can only speak from the few hours I played. All the Arkham games have been easy from start to finish, so those things don't seem as severe to me. The bugs are notable, but that never stopped the press from handing out 9.5s.

Speaking of New Vegas, many criticized (meaning 8/10 for a game better than its predecessor) that game for being more of an expansion pack than a new Fallout game (and the bugs, of course. The bugs I rarely encountered). New location, new characters, more weapons, more quests, more intricate quests, new enemies, refinements in every area is an expansion to these people...when it's Obsidian instead of Bethesda behind the wheel I reckon. And I never played BS2, but trusted sources are almost unanimous in that it has better play mechanics than BS1. But again, different dev team, less enthusiastic consensus opinion, or so it seems.

Last edited:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Dunno yet about those shock gloves but right now thugs are whooping my ass. 1 or 2 dudes with a rifle, a Bane looking thug, 2 or 3 guys with shields and 2 guys with knifes and body armor plus a few generic dudes at a random crime encounter. Its hard to even get a combo off, I usually try to get it to 5x so I can use takedown(B+Y on a xbox pad) and instagib one of the stronger thugs and repeat till only the weakest dudes are alive to get a longer finish combo. Now I can barely strike someone and have to dash away. Seems like those gloves are needed lol.

The game is not worse than AC, its similar but faster paced and has less boring sections, IMO. If you ignore Enigmas bullshit data collecting the game speeds up quite a bit.
Just whooped Deadshot and Shiva, heading for those gloves right now. 12 hours in, 51% of the story finished, about 5 criminal cases and 5 side missions finished.
edit: dayum, after one mission story went from 51 to 90%. Guess Im done soon.

Last edited:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Well angryJoe did an angry video about bugs
http://youtu.be/aSeARjpIj5o

Seems he got an Nvidia card. Not a single crash, slowdown or instability on my 7950. Driver issue, id say.
Also he gets all retard about the damn enigma tower for 5 minutes, I just avoided it after getting stuck first time. Its an optional quest, and it takes a minute to fly over that area anyway.
I'll finish it when the patch comes out, but it doesnt effect the main story or any of the other side missions, you just lose a fast travel location and a bit of XP.

I got the gloves and they help vs thugs with body armor and fuckers with shields, when fully upgraded they work vs stun batons too. Still didnt meet a single dude with it tho.
They are not that OP, you need to charge em up by hitting people like 20 times and they work for 10-15 seconds.

Remote claw is something that is OP, IMO. In predator sections you just point to a guard and gargoyle,click a button and congrats, you just instagibbed someone. You dont even have to be close.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Angry Joe is a simple, confused man who can't troubleshoot basic hardware and software issues, or solve simple logic puzzles intended for children? I'm shocked.

Name

Cipher
Is there a trend now for mainstream review sites to bash high-profile games?
I know Gamespot has expanded their operation to bash games, among first victims Bioshock: I and Telltale's Fable game.

Eyeball

Arcane
Played through the tutorial to what I assume is the main plot hook. Holy dogshit, that's a lot of DC namedropping and an extremely incoherent plot.

I see that this is one chapter of the Arkham saga I shall have to disconnect what remains of my sense of critical thinking to complete and simply focus on the Kung Fu Orgasm part.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I know Gamespot has expanded their operation to bash games, among first victims Bioshock: I and Telltale's Fable game.

They have to bash every once in a while to maintain the semblance of credibility. Handing out nothing but perfect 10's for games people know are shite starts to look bad so they bash to balance it out. That and a bad review can drive up page clicks.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Nobody reads editorials.

Vibalist

Arcane
Destructoid rates this 3.5/10.

I kind of like that review. I haven't played the game, so I can't say if the reviewer is on the money, but he does have a few choice things to say about the gaming industry and AAA titles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom