Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Guild 3

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Multi-headed Cow, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Nutria Cipher Patron

Nutria
    Strap Yourselves In
    I pity the poor Krauts or Austro-Hungarians who are working on this. It's gotta be worse than being on the front lines in 1918 knowing that the war is lost but you've got to slog through the mud each day.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Four years in development hell. I wonder how many of the studio's >30 employees are even assigned to the project. One or two?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Country_Gravy Arcane Patron

Country_Gravy
    Wasteland 2
    They have an intern and a service dog working on it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Wyatt_Derp Cipher

Wyatt_Derp
    And the intern just got replaced by 'Phillip', a bright young lad from Mumbai.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    First team was incompetent. Perhaps they become senile, or if there are developers who are using ONLY skills learned in schools, they become less and less capable in comparison to self-educated developers. But frankly from my experience 20 years ago, most were willing to spend weekends on theirs own projects to learn stuff, and term reinvention of wheel was common.

Now, the original developers might be able to write mindfuck like Guild I, but original publisher demand was don't do that. They didn't have clue how to write Guild 2, thus they didn't have clue how to write sequel.

Second team got source code of quality, that was 20 years ago called, "it's easier to write it again". Game would happen, 6 years later, but there is no passion.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Chaosdwarft Learned Patron

Chaosdwarft
    For me The Guild 1 Gold will remain the most fun to play.

I recently reinstalled the Guild 3. It's not bad but I get The Guild 2 PTSD (which is not great). I am still a bit mad about the interface, it feels obtuse for me.

My verdict: pass or only get when it's under 5€.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    Interns don't get replaced, because they're cheaper, as you don't have to pay them at all.

^ Top  
  8. Chaosdwarft Learned Patron

Chaosdwarft
    They burn out like lightbulbs though :D. Surviving on cup noodles has its limit.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Another time to take a look.
    Game proceeds to receive continuous updates. Average rating is now up to 57% and recent is 64%.

Considering it used to be at 44% average, this is no small feat.
    Still, who knows when this will actually be done.

• incline incline x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Country_Gravy Arcane Patron

Country_Gravy
    Wasteland 2
    There hasn't been a news update on Steam in about a month.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Not a released one, but they've commented on what they are currently doing just some days ago:

I'm too lazy to translate all of that myself, so here's a Google Translate:
    Why all of that takes such a long time?
    I have no idea, really. They must be working with the worst kind of spaghetti code and instead of cleaning it all up and starting from scratch, they possibly just increased the spaghettiness of it all while working on their fixes.
    I would really love to see a post mortem of this project once it's done (or dead).

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.