Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The I am a graphics whore thread

Kill jiujitsu?

• DIE TRAITOROUS DOG! :rpgcodex:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ME NEITHER BRO LOLZ :kingcomrade:

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JaySn

Educated
sgc_meltdown said:
updated JaySn.txt

I am only familiar with this meme in passing. I assume this means I'm on its ignore list?

Truly, I weep for my lost self-esteem.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
sgc_meltdown said:
Fuck yea adventurers are nothing but insolent insects to be crushed you are the master race here this tells the DM
BfDay.jpg

I've always loved that cover best. Plus the Christian right just FUMED at the sight of that cover. :lol:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
wallace said:

bro that is a good question let me give you some perspective

In Diablo II you can play the role of one of five character classes, two more than in the original: the barbarian, the sorceress (or lady spell caster), the amazon, the paladin, and the necromancer.

Diablo II contains four acts (or levels) in which you start in a town and are given missions to find items, save people from harm, and defeat evil monsters. At the end of each act is ?boss? each playing a key role in the plot of the games storyline. You goal through out the game is to discover why evil seems to follow the man wherever he goes, who this man is and then ruin his plans of destruction.

The user interface is where Diablo II jumps off the charts. You can sit down and play without ever reading the words of the manual. If you want to know what something is, you just put your mouse pointer over it and a popup appears telling about that object of the game. I did find that during Multiplayer, over a local area network (LAN), the game would freeze quite a bit.

Diablo has won countless awards because of its simple hack ?n? slash form of game-play. Diablo II keeps this simplicity and improves upon the user interface, keeping the game fast-paced and easy to play.

Graphically Diablo II could have done better, but because of the graphic designers attention to detail including, specs of sand on the ground, creatures such as scorpions running about, and well shaped rocky terrain, it can still hold up well in today?s market. The cut scenes and special 3D effects are very impressive.

Although the games graphics aren?t the latest and greatest, the game play makes up for it. The game uses a tilted 2D view and blends well with the 3D characters and special effects. The special effects are exceptional. The cut scenes before each act are also well done, bringing the story alive and creating an atmosphere for each level unraveling the plans of Diablo.

Diablo II keeps you coming back for more through its easy to use user interface design and easy game-play. You have the option to go online and play with others through its multiplayer functionality, while gaining more skill points, gold, and unique items or special item sets. There is no denying Diablo II keeps one foot into the action genre because of its fast, easy, and enticing game-play. You can expect to get about 72 hours worth of game play out of the first go. After that you will be able to complete the game in half the time.

Unfortunately this game falls short on our Christian Perspective It scored very high in our star rating because of its exceptional performance in all areas of our rating system, except one, our Christian Perspective section. This one exception couldn?t out weigh the other sections in our rating system, but it should be held in the highest regard of Christians. The mature rating Diablo II received from the ESRB was well warranted, but doesn?t even begin to do Diablo II justice. Diablo comes from the Spanish meaning devil.

Diablo II has included crude language, but what really brings it down is the very disturbing imagery that doesn?t add to the game at all and could have been left out. In most of the levels you will walk past some sort of person who has been brutally killed and mutilated. The blood and gore is prevalent in Diablo II. Really it?s more the added background imagery of murdered or tortured people than the actual meaningful game play. If you choose the necromancer, your specialty is raising skeletons and golems from the ground and you can even raise those that you have killed from the dead to fight for you. Being the sorceress you have the ability to cast spells to harm others and heal ones self. Magic is one of the features of Diablo II that stands out. Every character class you may play in the game is able to do some sort of magic. From casting spells such as fire, lightning, and ice, to defensive and offensive auras. Many of the women in the game are not modestly dressed at all, which is another reason why this game is a poor choice to play. The quality graphics don?t outweigh the evil in Diablo II and should not be a choice for Christian gamers.

Diablo II scores very high against on rating scale getting 4 stars. It?s easy to use interface, amazing visuals, and innovative action oriented game-play took Diablo II to the top of our scale, but there is one major down side to Diablo II. Its crude language and disturbing imagery really hurt the game. Our Christian Perspective section lends more details to this side of Diablo II.

Some very talented people have worked on Diablo II, but it seems they have chosen to use their gifts to glorify evil rather than righteous holy things. Wars of good vs. evil are timeless themes and can be done in a way that does not dishonor God as Diablo II has succeeded to do weather the developers know this or not. The name Diablo itself means devil, which is something that was a deliberate choice and carries a certain theme of evil.

We cannot recommend Diablo II as a game that should be played by anyone because of its content. Even the game-play cannot outweigh these types of perverse images and other controversial material. Diablo II is a definite loser for Christians who should be guarding themselves against such things. The good just doesn?t outweigh the evil in Diablo II and should not be a choice for Christian gamers.

I have to agree and disagree on the points the reviewer has made. I agree that as a christian, I find the symbols, lack of clothing on some of the female creatures and carnage disturbing, however this is a fantasy game much in the same vein as Dungeons & Dragons. Unlike D&D though, which encourages the player diversity of being good, neutral, evil, and service to gods of all types. Your player in "Diablo 2" has one goal ... destroy Diablo and his menions and rid the land of evil. This game is NOT for everyone! Christians who are easily offended by such symbols and violence should avoid this game. And children should definitely not be allowed to play it either. I have been an avid gamer for about 9 years, and played about every genre that the game industry has to offer. I would not recommend this game to most christians, but I would highly recommend it to a hardcore game player. "Diablo 2" is a fantastic game from a gamers perspective. The interface is easy to use, it offers very interesting character development that can literally provide thousands of variations on the characters, the storyline progresses very well, geniunely requires solid strategy skills based on the character you play, and it provides three progressive levels of difficulty. Make no mistake, the game is a challenge to finish. On the down side, you may have to play through the same areas multiple times to gain enough experience to defeat a boss creature. This can become tedious at best, but usually this is only a problem in the single player game. The game is also a very serious investment of time. Most players I know on battlenet have spent hundreds of hours playing through all the difficulty levels. A christian definitely needs their priorities straight if they intend to play this game. God should always be at the forefront of our lives, hearts, and minds. If this game or any game ever takes away from God's place in our lives, then I'd say it is time to put it away. I'd much rather live life without games, than to live life without Jesus Christ. My Ratings: [2/4]

http://www.conservapedia.com/Dungeons_a ... Criticisms

There are several large sections there so I will just quote the first section

In D&D, player characters (the player's in game persona) are constantly gaining strength and power. Therefore, they are forever seeking more powerful adversaries and more difficult challenges. For example, at the start of a campaign player characters may be doing battle with creatures short of stature with significant disadvantages (low intelligence, fear of sunlight) such as goblins or kobolds. But as the player character's power increases, so to increases the deadliness of their opponents. In the search for ever more powerful opponents game designers eventually developed attributes for demons and devils.

The publishers of the game had imagined that they would sell a few hundred copies to college-aged males and never imagined that the game would experience explosive popularity, especially among teens as young as thirteen. Therefore, no thought or planning was invested into the potential impact of defining the powers and abilities of demons and devils. To the game's designers and players, killing a demon (in game) was no more controversial than killing a bishop in a game of chess.

But to bystanders the very inclusion of demons and devils was enough to cast suspicion upon the entire game--particularly since the game's much-touted freedom might allow a character to side with them. Additionally, the inclusion of demons and devils in the game raised other questions, such as why there are no angels in the game. There were no angels in the earliest editions of the game, because there was no reason to have an angel in the role of a monster. (See terminology above.) By late First Edition and early Second Edition, the game included and defined angels, devas and other highly powerful creatures of good; sometimes these were presented as allies for good characters, sometimes enemies for evil ones. This led to the criticism that religious icons were being disrespected by inclusion in the reference works.

In the Second Edition, the publishers tried to sanitize D&D by removing demons and devils, but many players (who enjoyed the challenge of destroying demons) resisted this effort. Later editions removed many references to "real" demons. Additionally, the terms "devil" and "demon" were replaced with the terms "baatezu" and "tanar'ri", respectively, and "the Nine Hells" (the outer planar home of devils/baatezu) was renamed "Baator".

However, in Third Edition, the game's original terms were readopted and blended--colloquially, for example, creatures from the Nine Hells (also called Baator) were called devils, but the most dominant species of the devils called themselves baatezu. An entire "mature" supplement (though there is no legal restriction on who may buy it, a large sticker is on the cover of most copies, stating it is for mature gamers only), known as the Book of Vile Darkness[13] was produced to introduce more overtly evil concepts into the game, ostensibly in ways for the DM to make the most horrific enemies possible for their players. A follow-up, the Book of Exalted Deeds[14], was created as a way for players to explore the philosophy and morality of good, and to make a good alignment more than a line on their character sheet. (The titles of both books are based on magic items in the game, both of which are extremely useful to a person of the proper alignment.)

The Fourth Edition Player's Handbook contains a "Warlock" class, which allows the player to make a pact with a certain creature to gain power. One option is the "Infernal Pact", allowing the player to literally make a deal with the devil.

M::mca:M:

oh hey I found the professionally drawn update of the 1E monstrous manual cover

Ta3rV.jpg

none of the charm of the original as I'm sure you will agree

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I HAD THE D AND D BEGINNER CHAMPION MASTER AND IMMORTAL SET AND I THINK I TRADED IT FOR THE OLDEST MONSTER MANUAL AND DIETEIES AND DEMIGOFS BROS I WISH I COULD FUND EITHER OF THOSE

BROS I GET ANNOYED WITH THE WHOLE FIND THIS NUMBERED PASSAGE IN THE MANUAL THING IT IS BEYOND MY TOLERANCE

EVERYTHING ELSE IS RELATIVE IF THE GANE IS GREAT I WILL TOLERAT A SHITIER INTERFACE LIKE ULTIMA 6 I HATED THE FUCKING WINDOW AND HAD TROUBLE WITH THE PRIMITEV MOUSE INTERFACE BUT THE GAME WAQS GREAT

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Good grief, you think most Christians give a shit, much less have profound moral problems, with fantasy games and books? And they're the ignorant hateful ones?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO TRUE STORY HERE WHEN I WAS IN LIKE FIFTH GRADE SOME CRAZY EYE GUY TOLD MY FRIEND THAT DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS WAS FROM HELL AND SATAN SO THE KID WENT HOME AND BURNED ALL HIS STUFF

A FEW YEARS LATERS THIS KID WAS DISGUSTED TO HEAR ABOUT HOW HUMANS REPRODUCE HE DIDNT BELOEVE ME WHEN I TOLD HIM AND HAD TO GO HOME AND ASKE HIS PARENTS

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Most don't, but there's always that fanatic aunt that makes your mother destroy your Mortal Kombat cartridge.

My mom was definitely like that. We even had a bunch of documentaries about Judas Priest telling kids to kill themselves and D&D making kids go on killing rampages. I still don't like D&D, but fuck yeah, Judas Priest rules.

Admittedly, that's an anecdotal example, however, while the majority of christfags don't ascribe to those extreme beliefs, enough do to make it a not uncommon occurrence.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
BLOBERT said:
BRO TRUE STORY HERE WHEN I WAS IN LIKE FIFTH GRADE SOME CRAZY EYE GUY TOLD MY FRIEND THAT DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS WAS FROM HELL AND SATAN SO THE KID WENT HOME AND BURNED ALL HIS STUFF

A FEW YEARS LATERS THIS KID WAS DISGUSTED TO HEAR ABOUT HOW HUMANS REPRODUCE HE DIDNT BELOEVE ME WHEN I TOLD HIM AND HAD TO GO HOME AND ASKE HIS PARENTS

:lol:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
Good grief, you think most Christians give a shit, much less have profound moral problems, with fantasy games and books? And they're the ignorant hateful ones?

just like pc gamers atheists are elitists who can't accept that people have different tastes in how the world works and have used the guise of freedom of speech to oppress the christian minority in recent years

all hypocrites just like codex posters as you well know

now brb I havta go ask my local pastor to critique the shading on my warhammer 40k chaos miniatures, it's okay because I refluffed them to be christians of malal who oppose the dark gods in the name of the one true faith but I need his help on some of the iconography and quotes on the tiny purity seals

Excidium said:
Most don't, but there's always that fanatic aunt that makes your mother destroy your Mortal Kombat cartridge.

in grade school I lent a dude a very inclined gamebook from the Sorcery! series and his mom made him return it because there was a depiction of a wizardy palm holding dice on the back and well dice lead to gambling and sin

later that family appeared in the papers with a nice article about their charity work and stuff so the lesson here is that everything works out in the end

das ist mein atheist tales from the crypt, ja kingcomrade?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom