Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The "I am actually playing DXHR" thread.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Since we already have a spoil-the-ending and a whine-about-dlc thread for Desu Ex, we clearly need another one!

Well, I used a proxy to log on to steam with a US IP to unlock the game I bought and paid for already. Been playing it for 12 hours now, so here's my impressions.

I've gotten past the point the leak ended, but not by far. I'm currenly mucking about in the second hub, which seems fairly large. Experience has been mixed, but mostly positive. Most missions - even the side quests - had multiple points of entry. And both stealthing, running and gunning or a combinaiton of both has been viable. Ammo is somewhat scarce if you take the gunbunny approach however.

Object highlighting is off by default. the piss filter is in and not removable through the settings. you can change a few ini files if you don't like your monitor being sprayed by urine. Mouse smoothing is still in and there is no easy toggle to remove it. :decline: It may be fixable with inis. So far I've soldiered through with it on highest difficulty. It's a little annoying, but since I'm mostly stealthing past encounters it hasn't hamstrung me too badly.

No higher resolution textures are included. Graphics are the same as the leak, same with the framerate. the visuals definately aren't what I'd call mind-blowing, but they're servicable. The original DX looked kind of shit even by its days standards, so I guess it's part of the complete experience.

You kind of feel forced to splurge a huge amount of your upgrade points on hacking. there's simply so many extra bits and pieces (not to mention XP and lewtz) you miss out on if you can't hack everything. On top of that, inventory space is really limited. More upgrade points down the sink. I'm only just now beginning to explore the more interesting upgrades. 12 hours in, that's a bit late. Maybe it's me being obsessive-compulsive, since there is nothing that physically prevented me from buying the explosive back, the punching through walls and built in paracute.

So is it any good? Enh... I like it. If you haven't played the leak, it's a mediocre shooter with a decent(ish) stealth buffet. There's a little C&C - less than in DX but more than most games give you. Though the missions are linear, you can usually enter through 2-3 different points which opens up different tactical avenues to progress through an area. I was paticuarly thrilled when I found a rooftop access in the last mission befor ethe second hub that let me snipe tangos with impunity. there's a lot of DX1 namedropping fo appease the fans. Joseph Manderly's quite active, there are several references to Bob Page and Versalife. You even see what's obviously MJ12 troops.

Is it as good as the original DX? If both games had been released side-by-side (graphivs notwithstanding) I think DX would've overshadowed DX:HR. In its own right, DX:HR is an enjoyable game - better than most of the shit that's been released lately - but I probably won't be completing it seven times.

There is an achievement for completign the game without ever setting off an alarm, and another for completing the game without killing anyone. IT IS TOTALLY POSSIBLE TO COMPLETE DXHR WITHOUT KILLING PEEPZ (EXCEPT A FEW THAT DIE IN CUTSCENES). I guess that makes it better than Fallout.

Gord

Arcane
Ulminati said:
There's a little C&C - less than in DX but more than most games give you.

DX did have C&C? Aside from choosing how to approach the mission (stealth/combat) and which ending cutscene to look at, there's not much in it, is there?

Anyway, what I'm really interested in, did you notice any in-game ads?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Gord said:
Ulminati said:

DX did have C&C? Aside from choosing how to approach the mission (stealth/combat) and which ending cutscene to look at, there's not much in it, is there?

Definitely nothing substantial, if I remember correctly. Some of your actions could determine whether people lived or not. But none of those really resulted in anything more than some different dialog.

Drakron

Arcane
Gord said:
DX did have C&C?

Some, you can stay with Paul and fight off the MJ12 and UNATCO troops then Paul leaves ... if you escape out the window then he dies.

Also you can refuse to kill Juan Lebedev but its hard to pull off and he gets killed later and you are blamed for that ... there are several instances were you can make a choice with a consequence, some are harder to notice about as the mechanic that plants on the heli and will go off over Area 51 and Jock dies, if you knock him out you prevent that.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Graphics are the same as leak? Damn, I found those low poly textures(especially the cutscenes) to be quite annoyingly low res.

So no real changes since the leak then? Not surprising, but I was hoping they'd have tightened it up a bit :/

Captain Shrek

Gord said:
Ulminati said:

I have never understood this thing that codex pushes about c&c. What the fuck do you guys want???

Do you realize how difficult it is in a COMPUTER game to implement c&c that is going to act late in the game?? Deus ex has a lot and its really cleverly placed. Stop acting like children.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Gord said:

Er, there were some cases of beer in the game whose logo looked sort-of similar to heiniken. if you mean actual, real-world as streamed into the game, then no. I haven't noticed any.

Oh, wait. I was in the police station and I found the office of Detective murphy. Two dudes in there were talking about an old movie set in "Future Detroit" with a cop that had cybernetic implants. Does a reference to robocop count as an ad? :P

The second hub in china is hella confusing to navigate. I'm sorely tempted to turn on my quest compass. So far, it feels sorta like the original Deus Ex. But htere's something slightly off about it. Not sure what it is yet. Also, the black & piss colour scheme is gtting kinda hard on the eyes after playing for 12 hours. I miss some colour variation.

One thing worth mentioning: Loading times are fairly long, but once you're in a hub or mission, they're nonexistent. (the second hub is split into two large chunks with loading in-between). You can go anywhere - indoors or outdooes - in a hub without loading pauses. Pretty unusual for a console game.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I finished it before its release date. Do I win?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ulminati said:
One thing worth mentioning: Loading times are fairly long, but once you're in a hub or mission, they're nonexistent. (the second hub is split into two large chunks with loading in-between). You can go anywhere - indoors or outdooes - in a hub without loading pauses. Pretty unusual for a console game.

:x

GOTHIC-LIKE OR BUST!!!

:x

(no, i'm not going to buy it)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
God damn it! There is a sweet weapon aug just out of reach. If only I had taken the parachute augmentation I could pick it up, but I didn't, so I can't :c

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Ok, apparently when you hack something, you can opt to capture the security node instead of the exit node. If you do so, you also get all the bonus nodes for free. Hacking just became a shitload easier. If I had known I could get all the goodies this way, I wouldn't have splurged on all 3 ranks of hacking stealth.

EvilSatan

Educated
Ulminati said:
Ok, apparently when you hack something, you can opt to capture the security node instead of the exit node. If you do so, you also get all the bonus nodes for free. Hacking just became a shitload easier. If I had known I could get all the goodies this way, I wouldn't have splurged on all 3 ranks of hacking stealth.

Good to know, thanks! :love:

Multi-headed Cow

Hope we get one soon. A rape aug would be spiffing too. :bounce:

EvilSatan

Educated
Where the fuck are the stores in Shanghai? I have all of these weapons I need to sell so I can buy from LIMB and get more tranq/stun darts.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
There's one in the whorehouse and one in the coffin hotel

I'm back in Detroit now. I have pretty much every augmentation maxed out now, except for lungs, legs and "stealth enhancement" which apparently gives the radar a bunch of extra info. Pouring all your early praxis into hacking (capture and stealth) pays off since you'll get a shitload of extra experience, credits and lewt from hacking everything in sight.

The heavy rifle is decidedly meh. The DLC weapons for collectors edition aren't to be found anywhere else apparently.

So far, I've found the following weapons ingame: Tazer, 10mm Pistol, Revolver (with exploding rounds upgrade), Shotgun, Crossbow, Tranquilizer rifle, SMG, Assault Rifle, Heavy Rifle (mini gatling gun), sniper rifle, rocket launcher and P.E.P.S. (Nonlethal knockback gun). One of the upgrade kits lists that it can also be used on a plasma rifle, but I've yet to find one of those.

For one-use items I've found grednades (frag, concossive, smoke, emp) and mines (frag, concossive, emp). I mostly hoard the emp/concussive grenades. Emp grenades have found limited use when I had to get past a robot. Concussive grenades have been spammed in the boss fights to keep them from shooting at me while I pump them full of hurt.

The 10mm is definately a keeper. with armor piercing, laser sight, silencer and a few +damage upgrades it'll one-shot just about anyone with a head shot. The combat rifle has a pretty neat upgrade that allows it to lock on to a target and fire homing flechettes. Useful for blind fire around corners. Much as I love sniping, I've not really found much use for the sniper rifle. It's loud as hell and has a tendency to set off alarms. If it was the blatant-cheating-rifle with scope and silencer from the collectors edition, things might've been different.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
SORRY BRO YOU ARE WRONG THE GAME IS POPAMOLE SHIT

Monocause

Arcane
Gord said:
Ulminati said:

DX did have C&C?

It didn't. Come on guys, I love the first game as much as the other guy but all C&C it had (which wasn't that much) was all flavour. Really nice flavour, but still - all it amounted to was a couple of lines of dialogue. Rescuing Paul was the only one that actually changed something in the game as IIRC not rescuing him would give you an additional objective of retrieving something from his body.

Even the leak alone was superior to the first game in terms of C&C and now we're talking about the whole game. So please, put things into proper perspective.

Gord

Arcane
On my last playthrough I had to meet him in person at the MJ12 lab beneath Unatco instead of retrieving his body.
May have remembered it wrong but I thought he wouldn't show up anymore before Hong Kong if you rescued him.

Anyway, doesn't matter much because it doesn't change anything about the game (but it's admittedly a nice touch).

The matter of C&C in a computer game isn't a trivial one and I would agree with Captain Shrek that a lot of the people here have somewhat unrealistic expectations about it.
Still I think that a few touches (like Paul, Lebedev, Navarre) aside, there's not much in the original and what is in has not much effect.

Edit: Thinking about it a bit more, I think about the best C&C in DX is probably your decision on what to tell Jaime Reyes while escaping from Unatco.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
I'm playing non-lethal stealth right now, haven't reached the first boss yet but I get the feeling he's coming up soon because I'm in some huge Metal Gear-esque mercenary base. My initial impressions:

+:
*Atmosphere is great, as is hub exploration
*Popamole stealth works surprisingly well. It's actually fun.

-:
*Horribly optimized. Excruciating loading times, framerate chugs all over the place.
*Cover combat is still lousy, though not completely unchallenging. Can be avoided.
*Graffix. There are no hair physics on ponytails and dreadlocks, textures look as pixelated as a japanese woman's vagina from several feet away, lip synching and conversational gestures are fugly.
*Everything third person sucks. The sticky cover can be turned off, thankfully. Stealth kill/takedown animations are too long.
*Hacking minigame is tiresome from the second time you do it, like every stupid hacking minigame
*Hyperconsolized save system
*Speech system seems to be completely randomized

It's fun, but it has a lot of unignorable problems keeping it from being truly good. And above it all it is definitely a console game. I'm enjoying it but I cannot in good conscience recommend it to the codex.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I.C. Wiener said:
I'm playing non-lethal stealth right now, haven't reached the first boss yet but I get the feeling he's coming up soon because I'm in some huge Metal Gear-esque mercenary base. My initial impressions:

+:
*Atmosphere is great, as is hub exploration
*Popamole stealth works surprisingly well. It's actually fun.

-:
*Horribly optimized. Excruciating loading times, framerate chugs all over the place.
*Cover combat is still lousy, though not completely unchallenging. Can be avoided.
*Graffix. There are no hair physics on ponytails and dreadlocks, textures look as pixelated as a japanese woman's vagina from several feet away, lip synching and conversational gestures are fugly.
*Everything third person sucks. The sticky cover can be turned off, thankfully. Stealth kill/takedown animations are too long.
*Hacking minigame is tiresome from the second time you do it, like every stupid hacking minigame
*Hyperconsolized save system
*Speech system seems to be completely randomized

Sounds exactly like what I feared, minus the stealth being fun.

Is he right, Ulm?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
http://www.reddit.com/r/scifi/comments/ ... _ex_human/

"I'm about 5 hours into the game and already this is one of the most profound and intense pieces of cyberpunk I've seen in at least a decade!"

The world and atmosphere is phenomenal and the political, scientific and social themes are beautifully told through NPCs, the art design, extensive newspapers and eBooks. The amount of thought and work put into the science fiction is startling!

When you're hacking into computers of Sarif Industries' employees and reading their email or picking up eBooks and Newspapers depicting the events in 2027 as well as the years leading up to it, Deus Ex: Human Revolution feels more like you're reading a great novel than playing and action video game. It is not at all dumbed down "for the shallow console kiddies"

I urge you - if you enjoy cyberpunk that's not just aesthetics but actually rich in content, try this one out!
Being a huge fan of the original Deus Ex and just having played it only a few days ago, I have to say that to this point I find Human Revolution to even surpass the original!

Gameplay-wise it takes all the best aspects of the original, all the things that define Deus Ex from a gamedesign standpoint and build upon them, making things more smooth and less clunky.

In terms of conspiracy and atmosphere it is at least as convincing, deep and captivating as the original Deus Ex - and that is a compliment I wouldn't have expected myself to ever be able to give.

I can imagine me sounding fanboyish right now but I honestly can't think of a single aspect where Deus Ex: Human Revolution is inferior to Deus Ex. Then again, I'm only five hours into the game and don't know if the games keeps this high level of quality up until the end. We'll see.

:hmmm:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom