Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The "I am actually playing DXHR" thread.

Thrasher

Erudite
Data4 said:
completely blocked that door with the drink machine. No one got in. The elevator arrived and I just waltzed right in like a boss.

pipka

Savant
I tried to play DXHR. And it's boring. The lore is stale, rumors are bland. Clicking on stuff(buttons, changing position in cover, inventory) is slow. Even gunplay is slow. I'm very early in the game (Detroit hub, first time, doing quests) and I think I will drop the playthrough. They even managed to make the exploration bland; and mails have no character, no point reading them.

Will there be something redeeming? Is there something worth to see? Something exciting eventually?

Cuz up until now, AP is superior to DXHR, basing on motivation. I felt motivated to finish it, DXHR gives me none.

And aesthetics?! Why 20-something years earlier is the world more hi-tech?

P.S. J.-J. PrettyHead, you are a faggot.

pipka said:
I tried to play DXHR. And it's boring. The lore is stale, rumors are bland. Clicking on stuff(buttons, changing position in cover, inventory) is slow. Even gunplay is slow. I'm very early in the game (Detroit hub, first time, doing quests) and I think I will drop the playthrough. They even managed to make the exploration bland; and mails have no character, no point reading them.

Will there be something redeeming? Is there something worth to see? Something exciting eventually?

Cuz up until now, AP is superior to DXHR, basing on motivation. I felt motivated to finish it, DXHR gives me none.

Yup, every other street thug in HR has augmentations, yet in DE1, there were only a handful of people who had them.

And no, you won't see anything more "exciting" than you've already seen in the first few hours of the game.

There's really no C&C in the game either. It always ends with pushing one of three (four) buttons right at the end. The chip upgrade at the LIMB clinic was a nice touch, but there's nothing really notable about the rest of it. You can also save Malik later, but it doesn't amount to anything significant in the end.

Other than hacking upgrades, I didn't get any other augs, and I found the game to be easy on Gimme Deu Sex (stealth approach with practically no takedowns).

The one funny thing I found is that I was able to pass tightly guarded areas by using portable boxes, dropping them right behind the AIs before they turn around. You can also use boxes (the metal ones anyway) as a shield, holding them up in front of you, allowing you to walk past hostiles as they fire on you.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
pipka said:

Deus Ex was in a world after a great war, which is only hinted here and there. (General Sam Carter was one of the leaders in that war, but was relegated to a mere storekeeper.) That alone could have brought it to a fairly retrograde state, hence the hi-tech world of before. New age people like Bob Page were vultures who picked off the broken remnants of the old "benevolent" elite and Illuminati and either expropriated or destroyed them. While the Illuminati was more paternalistic and wanted technological advancement for all, Bob Page desired a stone age society with his high tech soldiers keeping everyone in line.

I thought the exploration and lore really added to the lore of Deus Ex. We learn that David Sarif was one of the few powerful CEOs resisting Illuminati influence, even ordering his secretary to force out Lucius DeBeers, The Supreme Enlightened of the Illuminati. We learn why Bob Page decimated the Illuminati so easily; they were already in conflict and disagreement with each other, with the likes of Bill Taggart and Hugh Darrow disagreeing about how to control augmented people to prevent a post-Illuminati world. We also see that (just like Deus Ex) Chinese big business and PRC are one of the leaders in defying the Illuminati and creating a new plutocracy that doesn't play by the rules - with Maggie Chow or Zhao Yun Ru both seemingly eager for post-Illuminati anarcho-tyranny.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
And of course, there's the fact that Illuminate (and certainly Bob Page) don't want the masses to get augmented, since empowered people present a new danger to them and make control harder (and after what Darrow did the idea of using augmentations as a means of control was most likely dropped entirely).

I for one think that Adam was a lot more likable as a protagonist than JC, though that might be just the fact that JC has horrible voice-acting and isn't given much personality in-game.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
pipka said:

They probably want to do a "reimagining".

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
And of course, there's the fact that Illuminate (and certainly Bob Page) don't want the masses to get augmented, since empowered people present a new danger to them and make control harder (and after what Darrow did the idea of using augmentations as a means of control was most likely dropped entirely).

I for one think that Adam was a lot more likable as a protagonist than JC, though that might be just the fact that JC has horrible voice-acting and isn't given much personality in-game.
Yes, Adam Jensen's Clint Eastwood voice does make him more likable, although his hobo clothing doesn't help.

Vaarna_Aarne

It is impossible to totally avoid trenchcoats and sunglasses in a Deus Ex game.

I wouldn't say it's the voice acting really (even though it's a lot better than JC's), but the fact that we get to see more of the type of person he is.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
But Adam actually had a life before augmentation. As a SWAT officer and a soldier in Gulf War II.

JC is a young man who seems to have been augmented since the day he was born, and was groomed for being nothing but an agent.

pipka

Savant
uninstall.exe

Unskippable takedown cutscenes. Yes, games are time-wasters, but they shouldn't be indiscreet about it.
The name-droppings are of in-your-face quality.
And the corridors. Even large areas are giving the corridor enclosed feel. (How difficult is it to pull one big area and put buildings/stuff on top of it?! Not dozens of small big rooms connected by corridor_ or two corridors. Even z-level buildings are corridors.)

It is DX, but of this generation.

Vaarna_Aarne

2011-10-03.jpg

There is a special detail there that makes it prestigious.

Gord

Arcane
So finally, about 6 weeks after release and 3 weeks after the first ads appeared (although only for a few unfortunate) Eidos actually cared to release some kind of official statement on the issue of in-game advertisement in DXHR:

Eidos said:
We’ve been closely watching the debate that’s been going on over the inclusion of advertising in Deus Ex. It’s clear there are strong views, but primarily lots of people have been asking for more information on the issue – so hopefully that’s something I can help with.

We’re aware that this is an emotive topic and so this is something we’ve been very, very careful about implementing – because what we absolutely don’t want to do is break immersion with the game itself.
In-game advertising is one of the revenue streams which games companies can use to supplement game sales and revenues generated in this way can genuinely help with the cost of development.
To explain a little about how the process works: As part of the deal we have with our advertising partner, we’re able to reject any ads which we don’t feel are of interest for the game or its player base. In fact, that’s why they’ve only started appearing recently – because we rejected everything else up until the recent ad on the loading screen. The timing there was purely coincidental with the release of a PC patch, by the way.
As to how we deal with ads in the future, we’ve noted the passion that some people feel about the issue, and that better up-front communication would be appreciated.

Full disclosure: We have just approved a new advert which will appear in the loading screen of the game soon. We haven’t cleared anything to run on the in-game billboards as yet (that functionality does exist in the game). Ads will appear in Deus Ex in the future and our aim is to try to keep them as relevant as possible.

For other future games we’ll definitely bear in mind all of your comments on this topic – but meanwhile please keep telling us your thoughts on what we do.

Can't wait to see that new ad!

:x

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Good thing I completed the game befor eidos began shitting it up :decline:

Also, I find it extremely shady that they only enable the feature AFTER all the major reviewers have already reviewed the game. Considering this business practice, I may have to purchase any future eidos products through the TPB distributor.

SoupNazi

And AFTER most players played through it

who the fuck cares about ads on the fucking load screen. jesus fuck

Vaarna_Aarne

Yea, it's just on the loading screen, no big deal at the end of the day. Unless it starts playing a fucking 30 second commercial before loading the level, that'd be true faggotry.

Though it does have a little bit of hilarity, like the soda cans in the original Deus Ex having this...

The can is blank except for the phrase 'PRODUCT PLACEMENT HERE.' It is unclear whether this is a name or an invitation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom