Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The John Tiller Thread of Hex Hell and Suffering

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Question #1: Who is the FUCK is John Tiller?

Answer: John Tiller was a former software engineer at Talonsoft, along with being a game designer. He was responsible for basically developing some of the best turn-based hex computer wargames ever made.

Question #2: Cool. What does a John Tiller game look like?

Answer:

Campaign-Series-3d-hk.png

Petersburg2.png

Question #3: What conflicts are represented in the John Tiller games?

Answer: Just about any you can imagine. The World War I, World War II, Vietnam, the Korean War, the American Civil War, and so on.

Question #4: Where can I buy them?

Answer: Here. Search for 'john tiller' in the search box.

https://www.matrixgames.com/inventory

You can also buy his latest releases here:

http://www.johntillersoftware.com/

Question #5: Oh my God, these games are so expensive! Why?

Answer: Deal, bitch. Welcome to the insanely expensive hobby of computer wargaming. Besides, each individual game John Tiller has designed is chock-full of content that'll last you for hours. Pinch some pennies, and you'll be able to afford some.

Question #6: These are so hard, how do I play these?

Answer: There are numerous online tutorials on YouTube. Additionally, the games come with both video tutorials and extensive .PDF documentation that tell you how to play the game.

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
FEDSMOKER
I've always been fascinated by the Battlegrounds series ever since reading about them in CGW magazine, but never tried any of them. Is there any reason to recommend any of the games in the classic series over another? Or are they all good and you just go with whatever era interests you?

Would, for example, the civil war series of games be less complicated than the WWII games due to there being less types of units, etc.?

Last edited:

Comte

I got so burnt out on Tiller stuff finally. Been playing them for about 5 years straight. The monster scenarios are impressive but too many counters to make playing them possible unless you are a NEET or retired.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
FEDSMOKER
I've always been fascinated by the Battlegrounds series ever since reading about them in CGW magazine, but never tried any of them. Is there any reason to recommend any of the games in the classic series over another? Or are they all good and you just go with whatever era interests you?

Would, for example, the civil war series of games be less complicated than the WWII games due to there being less types of units, etc.?

the matrix games re-releases have a ton of content, but the newer releases dedicated to specific battles have more polish

still, regardless of what you buy, they're worth the trouble and money

CampaignSeries-Vietnam_screenshot4.jpg

Looking forward to this, campaign series Vietnam

Here are more screen shots and its development thread:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4661468

I have played many of his panzer campaigns games, which he has upgraded recently. He is still making new games too, besides the matrix versions here:

http://www.johntillersoftware.com/

But I am looking forward to the matrix campaign series version more than the others. They are more polished, and look nicer and are just more modern. Have been playing Tiller games for more than 25 years.

edit: just noticed you included his tiller software link in your first post too...

Last edited:

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
wargame incline right there. thanks for sharing. i might get the remastering of the john tiller's divided ground: middle east 1948-1973 from matrix games soon

Last edited:
wargame incline right there. thanks for sharing. i might get the remastering of the john tiller's divided ground: middle east 1948-1973 from matrix games soon

yes, the vietnam game seems pretty far away still as far as I can tell, did not know the israel/egyptian game was that close to being released.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron

yes, the vietnam game seems pretty far away still as far as I can tell, did not know the israel/egyptian game was that close to being released.

you can buy it here!

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/campaign-series-middle-east-1948-1985

it looks great. i actually remember playing the demo for the original game years and years ago and having no idea what i was doing but still being amazed by how detailed it was regardless

you can buy it here!

it looks great. i actually remember playing the demo for the original game years and years ago and having no idea what i was doing but still being amazed by how detailed it was regardless
wow, I did not even know this one existed. I have the east front matrix version and have been waiting for the vietnam version, but did not know there was this version already availible to play. That is sweet.

I remember the very first time I tried to play the East Front campaign series game non matrix version back sometime in the 1990's and had no idea what was happening and gave up. But then when it came out in the matrix version I bought it again and was able to grasp it much better.

For whatever reason I never had that much trouble with his panzer campaign series , there are just a million counters to move.

Comte

you can buy it here!

wow, I did not even know this one existed. I have the east front matrix version and have been waiting for the vietnam version, but did not know there was this version already availible to play. That is sweet.

I remember the very first time I tried to play the East Front campaign series game non matrix version back sometime in the 1990's and had no idea what was happening and gave up. But then when it came out in the matrix version I bought it again and was able to grasp it much better.

For whatever reason I never had that much trouble with his panzer campaign series , there are just a million counters to move.

I love campaign series and alot of the scenarios are more manageable then Panzer Campaigns. I am also looking forward to CS Vietnam.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron

you can buy it here!

I love campaign series and alot of the scenarios are more manageable then Panzer Campaigns. I am also looking forward to CS Vietnam.

yeah. the campaign series is much more easily digestible tbh. john tiller is at his best when he does tactical-level games. the macro-level ones are good too, but i can see why people would prefer his tactical-level ones

Comte

I love the fact those monster games exist but I don't have the time to play a monster campaign unless I have a patient opponent. I would love to play the big France 14 campaign. Its friggen huge but would probably take years to complete.

I love the fact those monster games exist but I don't have the time to play a monster campaign unless I have a patient opponent. I would love to play the big France 14 campaign. Its friggen huge but would probably take years to complete.
yeah honestly I have had more luck playing those huge type of war games IRL with a board set up in my garage against my brother over the course of a few years than on a computer. Even then something usually happens that makes it impossible to finish, but still it comes closer to happening.

Endemic

Arcane
Talonsoft? That reminds me of the good old days of playing Tribal Rage.

McPlusle

Savant
I remember like 15 years ago finding a copy of West Front that my dad bought some time before and installing it on my shitty Dell laptop and having no idea what the fuck I was doing. I've since rebought the Campaign Series set and the Battleground Civil War set (he told me that when I was a baby he'd have me sit in his lap while he played Battleground Gettysburg) and I still have hardly any idea what I'm doing. For example, I failed one of the tutorial battles in Rising Sun. These games are no joke. I love them.

you can buy it here!

Is that a Tiller game? Didn’t know that. Honestly. I usually just buy his stuff his website. Squad Battle series and Modern Campaigns kept me busy for literally years. They have some sort of falling out or...?

Comte

you can buy it here!

Is that a Tiller game? Didn’t know that. Honestly. I usually just buy his stuff his website. Squad Battle series and Modern Campaigns kept me busy for literally years. They have some sort of falling out or...?

I believe Matrix bought up the talonsoft assets. There is a new team updating campaign series. They are also working on a vietnam game using the engine.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Sad to hear. I played the hell out of the East Front/West Front games. Something tells me these old wargamer programmers aren't going to be easily replaced any time soon. RIP.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
On a grognard scale, where do you put this series? Let's assume that at the beginning of the scale, the casual side, are games like Panzer General and Strategic Command, at the top are games like Gary Grigsby series and such

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom