Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Jovian System

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Quite interested in this. I like the combat ideas. Building a spacesation could be fun.

Concerning Titan Outpost. The NPC's felt like whoever designed them.

Haha, thanks. That would be me. Most were made with the same character tool I wrote for the player to create the player character with added tweaks. An obvious exception is Daxia, who I'll be the first to admit looks better than the rest. Phil, Karen and Syaoran are not supposed to be lookers, but the other NPCs weren't intended to offend the senses much either.

Jovian System will use the same system, but improved. Better textures, new base meshes. However, a lot of NPCs have radiation burns so prepare for more ugly characters.

Modron

Arcane
Didn't notice that release date before, this on track for January 2 still?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Didn't notice that release date before, this on track for January 2 still?

Looks like there will be a closed alpha instead of a wide EA release.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1441520/discussions/0/3598968559036225815/

The Jovian System is shaping up very well, but due to the ambitious nature of the combat system, the early 2023 target for Early Access will not be met.

There will be a closed combat alpha in the form of a skirmish mode, from which the combat system will iterate and improve. This is almost ready.

While that is tested by a select group of people, work on the rest of the game will continue, hopefully towards Early Access by the end of 2023.

Even though early 2023 was never a target for the full release, even if you were hoping to get your hands early access in a few months, I'm sorry. I hope I'm not trying the patience of those of you who are looking forward to the game too much.

Stick around and I'll try to update more frequently.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
The closed alpha is just the combat alpha mentioned in This Thread. Won't be out before the end of the year, though, as I decided to do some more work with immediate pay, what with the ridiculous energy prices here right now. Cost of living practically doubled and it's really messing with my development budget/schedule.

Not sure where it says January 2 though? It should list 'To Be Announced' on the Steam page?

Modron

Arcane
Release date on the top right is filled in on the steam page above the developer/publisher links/user tags. Even if below it says coming soon.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Ah, didn't realize that, thanks! I moved it up, as that date refers to the general Early Access release and sadly that's a long way off.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The closed alpha is just the combat alpha mentioned in This Thread. Won't be out before the end of the year, though, as I decided to do some more work with immediate pay, what with the ridiculous energy prices here right now. Cost of living practically doubled and it's really messing with my development budget/schedule.

Not sure where it says January 2 though? It should list 'To Be Announced' on the Steam page?
You gotta do what you gotta do, nobody (reasonable) will fault you for that. Making money as a gamedev is fucking hard.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Just a quick update on this:

A couple of things happened.
  • I was swamped with work and making ends meet, but that's stable now.
  • My GPU got fried and it took NVidia 6 weeks to determine the cause of failure and send a warranty replacement. On the plus side, they sent me a 4080. That's awesome, but I had to basically restrict development to non-graphical things for two months. I got to do some campaign writing, which was a fun reprieve from the combat programming. I also took the opportunity to take a step back and look at what's there and what I still have to build. Daunting as it is, I was still pretty happy about it.
  • I decided I wanted to support not just multiple teams in combat, but set diplomatic stances for them so you can achieve allied victory, remain neutral or have an FFA. This will be necessary for the campaign anyway because I wrote a quest where you can pit factions against each other. I initially planned on scripting that, but it's much better to do it this way. It required rethinking the team and combat character data structure. This took a while, but I'm glad I caught this now because it would be exponentially more work to implement later. It's just one of those things where you can't iterate on what's there, it has to be implemented on the foundational level.

So what is the ETA on the combat alpha now? I honestly don't know. Things keep coming up and if I can't get it done by May, it might even be pushed back to the end of the summer. I'm shooting for May, though ;)

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Well, there is in fact news.

A sort of pretest was done with just two friends and there were so many things that needed work that I didn't want to do a more public test yet, not even a closed one. Made huge strides since, but it's all in terms of scaffolding the systems, making the frameworks more robust, adding drag & drop to the inventory UI etc...Not very exciting to talk about. Well, maybe the improvements to the character system with things like a mutable buff/debuff system that can carry over from combat turns to out of combat time units and things like that are interesting. I should share more.

In any case, I do have some other cool things to talk about. I'll schedule some time for that, otherwise I'll never get around to it. I noticed it's been more than half a year since that last post but it feels like much less.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom