Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Kodex, a den of Hypocrites and Perverts?

Is the Kodex a den of Hypocrites and Perverts?

• Yeah, welcome to the Skyway.

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • The Codex is still a bastion of Old Shool incline.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • It's just the Next-Gen.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Nothing new, the Codex is like an Ancient one, endlessly revolving in its own feces and madness.

Votes: 38 53.5%

• Total voters

Kz3r0

Arcane
So, it's all about fapping then?
It makes sense.
358.jpg

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I know that the whole Hivemind and monocle thingie weren't meant to be taken seriously, but after seeing that even in the Playground the most viewed LPs are an Hentai game, Rance, I know, many say that has more C&C than any RPG ou there, but still.
Andy' s FF VII LP, yes, an ironic one, but people will really follow an ironic LP of a game they despise for so long?
And, worst of all, a FO 3 LP, one of the most hated games here, supposedly.
It's an excellent parody and satire, with its own story, of a Sengoku period. Yes there is a lot of sex, but what are you expecting of a strategy where the goal is to fuck all Japanese princesses? The sex scenes can be skipped by using certain key.

I get where the OP is coming from. Ok, Frayed Knights isn't a brilliant game or anything, but if we put our money/time where our mouth is, surely it must beat the shit out of Skyrim on every level. Yet so many Skyrim threads and so long, with so little comparative discussion of FK and other games that, whilst far from excellent, shit all over Mass Effect, DA2 and Skyrim. Hell, if you're going to play a game from a series/developer that has gone downhill so you can bitch about it, surely you'd go Avadon ahead of Skyrim. Again, far from perfect, but out of the various 'developers who aren't as good as they used to be', Avadon (and the Avernum remake) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Skyrim, DA2 and Mass Effect series.

I can kind of see that as inevitable though, and typical of the internet in general. The only ones that actually piss me off are the guys who hail the collapse of the industry as the thing that will save us, so that we can all play indies instead, and yet don't play a single indie except maybe one run of KotC (and even then, the guys I'm talking about don't seem to be getting excited even over KotC, let alone the other indies out there).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
People do want a good D&D game but to be a great D&D game people rave about day and night takes more than a bunch of random combats stuck together.
Yeah, it also needs an epic narrative, romances, some hilariously stupid (or stupidly hilarious) comic relief characters and a depressed elf with a great voice for an antagonist.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Fallout and torment are the models where that shit came from, they are just implemented far more poorly. Narrative driven story games like Fallout, Torment, and Half Life started the Popamole in many ways.
I was describing BG2, most popular D&D game evah. :M
Edit: Whoops, forgot NWN, but everyone bought that for the toolset.

Just compare kotc to gold box series. A lot of heart and soul went into every aspect of those games. KOTC is a good game but to become a classic would require that it had that attention given to more than the rules. I don't think anyone could make any argument otherwise. Hopefully a sequel will propel it to the level of greatness.
I like KOTC better than the Gold Box series though a lot of it has to do with presentation and usability. Aside from exploration what did they do better? I wouldn't say writing or combat and content is broad and uneven for me to attempt any kind of comparison.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom