Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last Crown: Blackenrock

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://www.thelastcrown.com

Haarlem, The Netherlands – March 14th, 2016 – The‘Coming Soon’ page on Steam, for highly anticipated ghost-hunting adventure game The Last Crown: Blackenrock is now live, in expectation of the upcoming release. Developer Darkling Room are wrapping up development and have also released a brand new trailer. The game is expected to release during Q2-2016.

The Last Crown: Blackenrock is the next instalment in the spooky horror adventure series, which began with The Lost Crown, a ghost-hunting adventure, and was followed last Halloween by The Last Crown: Midnight Horror. In Blackenrock, you join ghost-hunters Nigel Danvers and Lucy Reubans on a spine chilling adventure, packed with authentic paranormal activity, to unravel tales of murder and mystery. Be warned, seeking answers from the dead can have bitter consequences.

Lead developer Jonathan Boakes says: “If the first game was a dense mystery, the new one is more like a TV thriller or supernatural drama series. Quite a few of the existing characters appear, like Nanny Noah, Bob Tawny, Lucy Reubans...” He continues: “But, there are also new faces, characters you have yet to meet. It's a long story, Blackenrock, with all the characters having individual backstories, motivations and development. In many ways, it's more like a paranormal Soap Opera, with all the dramatic twists I could muster.”

The past catches up with main character Nigel Danvers in the newly created Blackenrock Trailer. Nigel has received an urgent message... See the video on Iceberg’s Youtube channel HERE.Download a new assets pack with new screenshots and the trailer HERE.

To celebrate the occasion, several other Darkling Room titles have just begun a Weeklong discount on Steam: Dark Fall: Lost Souls (-80%), The Lost Crown (-80%) and Blackenrock’s prequel The Last Crown: Midnight Horror (-50%).

For more information regarding the The Last Crown, please visit the official website http://www.thelastcrown.com or check out the coming soon page on Steamhttp://store.steampowered.com/app/291750

About This Game
Nigel Danvers is haunted. Ever since a brief but disturbing experiment with a Spirit Board, he has felt someone, or something, calling to him. What is the significance of the word 'Blackenrock'? Is it a name, an item, an event, a place?

Joining Nigel on his mysterious mission is fellow ghost-hunter Lucy Reubans. Together, they delve deep into Saxton's murky past, investigating local supernatural tales of horror and haunting, to discover secrets long since buried. Armed with upgraded ghost hunting gadgets, Nigel and Lucy seek answers from the dead to uncover clues to a century old murder mystery. You will be captivated, taunted and teased by mind-bending puzzles and interactions with the town 'locals', in a richly detailed interactive world of ghostly tales, wind-swept coastlines, abandoned buildings and crumbling churchyards.

All the clues regarding Blackenrock lead out to sea, through the dense fog, away from the safety of Saxton. A trip into the unknown! The scattered rocky remnants of old Ulcombe make for treacherous waters, as the claw-like rocks seem to stand guard, preventing all but the most brave from discovering what hides beyond.​

:yeah::dance::shittydog:

Last edited by a moderator:

agris

Arcane
Patron
It looks interesting, but how are their other games? I.e. what's their track record? It looks like the last game only initially supported 4:3 (lol) and then hacked together 16:9 by just cropping the viewport (link: http://steamcommunity.com/app/291770/discussions/0/451852118780182493/). That reeks of shit-tier development. The trailer is also in 4:3 :M

Graphics bullshit aside, how are their other games? As someone who's never heard of this series or dev before, these are the impressions I'm left with after 3 minutes of searching.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It looks interesting, but how are their other games? I.e. what's their track record? It looks like the last game only initially supported 4:3 (lol) and then hacked together 16:9 by just cropping the viewport (link: http://steamcommunity.com/app/291770/discussions/0/451852118780182493/). That reeks of shit-tier development. The trailer is also in 4:3 :M

Graphics bullshit aside, how are their other games? As someone who's never heard of this series or dev before, these are the impressions I'm left with after 3 minutes of searching.

I only played Dark Fall 1, it was like Myst meets modern ghost hunting with all the different kinds of gadgets (cameras, sensors, etc). The atmosphere was quite nice, you were the only living person exploring an old and of course haunted train station. And it was hard as balls. At least that's what I remember, it came out in 2002.

This seems similar with ghost hunting and the gadgets but it has actual 3D models and a populated area from the looks of it. No idea how the developer has progressed/regressed in the meantime.

The Last Crown somehow became a cult classic but why that's the case is beyond my understanding. I found it terribly boring, awfully slow, uninteresting protagonist and story. At least for the first hours I played the game before giving up. While I found the graphical choice quite interesting the voice acting of the protagonist is among the worst I've ever encountered and totally killed the atmosphere for me. It was one of the very few games I decided to play the german version just because this one had professional voice acting.
I did enjoy the Dark Fall games though.

Last edited:

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
The Last Crown is one of the best game I've played.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom