Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last Days of Gaia

Monica21

Scholar
Sorry if this is old news, but what's up the The Fall: The Last Days of Gaia? The last mention I can find on Gamespot is an update from 2004. Going to their website doesn't help much, because from what I can tell, only a German version was released. Is a US version dead?

It looked like a cool game way back when I noticed its development, but I kind of lost track until recently when my brother mentioned to me that he was looking forward to it.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Last news was the game is utter shit.

Yes, the US Version is pretty much dead. Its not a great loss for humanity though.

Monica21

Scholar
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Shit because it's buggy (from what I read) or shit because it's shit? Either way, I guess that's another game I don't need to wonder about.

Monica21 said:
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Shit because it's buggy (from what I read) or shit because it's shit? Either way, I guess that's another game I don't need to wonder about.

The game is shitty even without bugs. Shitty quests, shitty combat system, shitty character interaction, bland world etc.

Its really just a pathetic attempt from Carsten Strehse to ride on the hopes of Fallout fans for a succesor for their beloved franchise.
Remember the marketing gags about Silver Style buying the Fallout license? Thank good it was just this, a marketing gag.

Monica21

Scholar
I don't remember the hype, but I do remember hearing that the team had some Fallout developers, or I guess just one? Don't really remember, but I remember that being one of the reasons why I was initially interested.

Good to know that I didn't miss anything, anyway.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I heard there is a fan-made English patch for the game. Not as good as a professionally translated game, but I heard it should be well enough. And the game is not that bad, it can give you a few hours of fun, until you get bored by it. It's cheap now anyways, so it wouldn't hurt trying it out [if you can buy it anywhere out of Germany, that is... well, there's still the possibility of impoting and ebay. And torrents.]

A_Leftist_Pig?

Scholar
Possibly Retarded
From what I've heard the developers don't give a shit about their English(all other languages) speaking fanbase. They are developing Fall 2 now I think. If you check the forum overthere you see that from time to time folks come and ask the same question: What's up with the release date and where can I get the game if its released...Nobody ever answers them in the english part.

The hype was about that the game truly is set in a post-apocalyptic setting with the weapons and features to it. A pretty good combat system and a good story.
Maybe some folks don't like the game, I don't actually, but the fanbase was and is still quite big in the parts were it was released so I guess it can't totaly suck.

Kotario

Liturgist
NMA hosts the English conversion mod. I believe it requires the Extended version of the game, but I'm not completely certain.

I just ordered a German-language copy two days ago, with the intention of using the English mod to play through.

A_Leftist_Pig?

Scholar
Possibly Retarded
I just thought you knew what page it was so that none of us needed to search teh internets.

Thanks dude. I should make an account on the Fall forum and tell the bunch there, they'd be happy :)

A_Leftist_Pig?

Scholar
Possibly Retarded
Oh oki. Last time I checked the forum was several months.

Though what the fuck have they done to their forum. The old black/silvery (Note: SILVER-STYLE) forum was better than this. This gives me a headache.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A_Leftist_Pig? said:
Oh oki. Last time I checked the forum was several months.

Though what the fuck have they done to their forum. The old black/silvery (Note: SILVER-STYLE) forum was better than this. This gives me a headache.

It looks like it was designed by a n00b. It's like these internet forums made by some geeks who have no idea of design, and take the easiest standard design pattern possible.

Monolith

Prophet
JarlFrank said:
It looks like it was designed by a n00b. It's like these internet forums made by some geeks who have no idea of design, and take the easiest standard design pattern possible.
Sad thing is, I actually wasted time on going there just to see it. Oh well...let's get back to stalker.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Monica21 said:
TalesfromtheCrypt said:

The game is shitty even without bugs. Shitty quests, shitty combat system, shitty character interaction, bland world etc.

Its really just a pathetic attempt from Carsten Strehse to ride on the hopes of Fallout fans for a succesor for their beloved franchise.
Remember the marketing gags about Silver Style buying the Fallout license? Thank good it was just this, a marketing gag.

Everything you wrote in this threat is moronic bullshit. Every post you made, every "point" you thought we need to read was so dumb that it made me gonna vomit.

Go and die somewhere dirty.

@topic
Go buy TFLDOG. It's a fine game with some weak points, but better than 99% of the shit that TftC would recommend.

BTW: The english patch works just fine and really shows how this game is appreciated and loved all over the world.

Monica21

Scholar
Okay then. Sounds like it does have good points. Thanks for the link to the English patch, and it does sound like it's at least worth trying.

Monolith

Prophet
Sir_Brennus said:
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Monica21 said:
TalesfromtheCrypt said:

Everything you wrote in this threat is moronic bullshit. Every post you made, every "point" you thought we need to read was so dumb that it made me gonna vomit.

Carsten? Is it you!?

@topic
Go buy TFLDOG. It's a fine game with some weak points, but better than 99% of the shit that TftC would recommend.
Actually, it is a very weak game with one fine point: the exit button. A goddamn waste of money and time...and promises.

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
The game got good reviews in Germany but any German game gets good reviews in Germany, look at Neocron for example, got 90%'s in a lot of German magazines and websites and was utter crapola.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Monolith said:
Actually, it is a very weak game with one fine point: the exit button. A goddamn waste of money and time...and promises.
I wasn't going to post but I'll bite. I may not be the best promoter since I didn't even come close to finishing the game. But that could be said about many games. I recently played Fallout2 90% through and then lost interest. Anyway.

The Fall has some nice features like the crafting system and interesting quests. I thought driving a herd of cattle into a minefield to clear a path was amusing, and look! The bad guys come running! My expecations have sunk so low, I wouldn't have been surprised if the NPCs had ignored the mines goarding their camp going off.
The game also sports many detailed animations. I thought that was quite excellent.
The character system sports useful, well-implemented skills, like reviving people along with a very detailed animation.
I even thought combat worked reasonably well despite being RTwP, not my favourite. Kinda cinematic - like a shallow action flick.

The game has problems, though. Some are very specific, such as the criminal use of scripting, which includes teleporting my party to a set location. Others are lenghts in the game, partially caused by running distances or by having to wait for a specific event. I forgot the details, but in one case it took me ages, including attempts at resting until the right time, to find it.
I think I actually had to trigger it through a basically unrelated dialogue. That brings us to the bizzare design decisions, such as driving a car between locations causing damage rather than using fuel. Hmm, anything else? Not of the top of the hat. Well, I think that was bad enough.
I was disappointed by the crafting system. The list of possible combinations could be longer, and most items appear to be use- and worthless. Maybe that makes sense, but since one of my characters started with such an item, I found it irritating. If would be even worse if I found out there is a use for that item sometime later in the game, since I've dropped it long ago due to constant inventory shortage.

Overall, the game looked promising and found many positive aspects. There are also glaring flaws. Overall I didn't stick with it, but that doesn't really mean it's bad. I never felt that it sucks when I did play it, but I did remove it to make room for a different game that I was really keen on because my HD was full.
I wouldn't hesitate to reinstall The Fall if I ever felt bored. It's maybe not so great you'd want to prefer it to another game you currently enjoy very much. But if you want something new, it's worth a try.

Starwars

Arcane
I just started this game up for the first time (gonna play it later tonight) and what the hell is up with the cheesy hard rock/metal song at the title screen? Haha.

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
Starwars said:
I just started this game up for the first time (gonna play it later tonight) and what the hell is up with the cheesy hard rock/metal song at the title screen? Haha.

FALL FALL ITS YOUR FALL
LAST DAYS OF GAIIIIIAAAAA

Astromarine

Erudite
It's a German game. Be thankful it's not a David Hasslehoff tune. ;)

Oh, and Monica: whenever discussing any German release, don't bother actually taking Sir Brennus' opinion as anything more than moderately amusing delusion. SCHEISSE DEVELOPERS UBER ALLES is his motto.

Sir_Brennus said:
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Monica21 said:
TalesfromtheCrypt said:

@topic

BTW: The english patch works just fine and really shows how this game is appreciated and loved all over the world.

Oh, the raging "The Fall" Fanboy. Do you get blowjobs from Carsten for promoting his shitty game on every possible occasion?
So how do you know what "shit" I would recommend? How is The Fall better then Fallout, PS:T, Arcanum, Ultima? I don't really get where your point was aimed add, since thats the kind of "shit" I'd recommend usually.

Well aside your logical fallacies and assumpions here, The Fall is crap, crap, crap. Its a shity little drecksgame only little degenarates like you could defend so emotionally, because...well because its PA and its from Germany, and we know the Sir_Brennus loves his german games!

Little disgusting prick

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
@ The Faggots

This is the list of all games developed in Germany or Austria that I bought

Dragonflight 1990
Legend of Faerghail 1990
Lords of Doom 1990
Spirit of Adventure 1991
Schicksalsklinge, Die (DSA 1) (Blade of Destiny) 1992
Amberstar 1993
Whale's Voyage 1993
Burntime 1994
Escape from Ragor 1994
Escape from Ragor II - Megrim's Rache 1994
Sternenschweif (DSA 2) (Star Trail) 1994
Dark Side of the Sun 1995
Whale's Voyage II - Die Ãœbermacht 1995
Albion 1996
Schatten über Riva (DSA 3) (Shadows of Riva) 1996
Dark Secrets of Africa 1999
Arcatera: The Dark Brotherhood 2000
Gorasul - The Legacy of the Dragon 2001
Gothic 2001
Technomage 2001
Gothic II 2003
Gothic II - Die Nacht des Raben 2003
Fall, The (Extended Edition) 2004
Restricted Area 2004
Sacred (Plus) 2004
Sacred - Underworld 2005
Gothic 3 2006
Ground Zero - Genesis of a New World 2006

These are 28 altogether. I own 226 CRPGs. It makes roughly 12,5% of my collection.
I own as many French games as I own German ones, while post-soviet and American games dominate.

What does that tell you morons about my preference toward german games?

Nothing. Period.

Try logic first, before proving you are delusional.

BTW: I said TF is a "fine" game - not a great one. Everybody who is not retarded and is able to read German may look up my review on the Internet. I posted the link some time ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom