Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last Faith - Gothic Horror Metroidvania / Blasphemous clone

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kumisoulsgames/the-last-faith-a-dark-gothic-metroidvania

https://www.thelastfaithgame.com

Steam page with trailer
Kickscammer page (campaign ended long ago)
Backers beta gameplay

I wasn't aware that Blasphemous was so successful as to get its own ripoffs. And if the demo is any indicator, this game has the worst writing I've ever seen from an English-speaking developer. If I didn't know better, I'd have assumed it was written by japs and translated with cheap highschooler labour. You'd expect a bunch of Brits to capitalize properly at least, but I suppose that's what modernity does to people.

On the plus side, the art does look great (though I dislike the overuse of dark blue colors) and combat seems more interesting than Blasphemous at least, not that it's much of an achievement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I wouldn't be surprised if they were aiming for intentionally bizarre writing. As in "Let's give this the same atmosphere as one of them Japanese games by writing like we were Asians who just discovered English yesterday."

Curratum

25 EUR for "late backers", implying it might cost even more when it launches on Steam.

Someone has a lot of faith (no horrible pun intended) in their own game...

Ash

Arcane
Looks highly derivative as most modern Metroidvanias seem to be, but that certainly doesn't mean bad. All I can ask for is a worthwhile game in these times.

Jinn

Arcane
So, uh, this is out now all of the sudden, in case anyone cares. I'd like to hear that it's good, but probably won't be jumping right in on it.

Ivan

Arcane
2 hours or so in:
-visuals are its strongest attribute
-combat feels adequate, as does the level design. very few a-ha moments.
-difficulty ramps up as regular enemy types are given stat boosts in later areas. you do feel the lack of enemy variety as it's literally the same enemy model with much higher hp and damage output
-the above does mean that you need to commit to upgrading your weapons, though I do wish there was more enemy variety
-all in all, it feels adequate, something I will forget playing once the credits scroll and won't care to revisit. it's solid junkfood if you're craving more metroidvania. I can't help but compare it to the excellent Blasphemous 2 which released not too long ago, so perhaps I'm being meaner to it than I would otherwise.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
It's a really clunky and basic metroidvania, and very linear from what I played. Overpriced too.

welly321

Scholar
It's a really clunky and basic metroidvania, and very linear from what I played. Overpriced too.
What a completely incorrect statement if I've ever seen one. The game is not linear at all. There are multiple paths to take through the game. You can tackle areas in different orders and many times you are going back through previous areas to unlock previously inaccessible areas with new abilities. The controls are so much better than they were in the demo. It feels great now. The ranged weapons kinda suck, which is unfortunate, because I went dex + Instinct (ranged stat). There are lots of different weapons, I bought a blunderblade which scales with dex and instinct and has a special that fires a shot after a sword swing. The magic system is similar to dark souls 3, where you need to find different spells and those spells use a certain amount of focus. There is no attunement though. You are able to equip two regular melee weapons and two secondary weapons at a time. Secondary weapons are ranged weapons or magic.

Last edited:

welly321

Scholar
So actually good ot discount blasphemous?

I played the demo last month and was very meh about it
Its very good IMO. I also played the demo and hated it but they improved the controls from the demo and it feels good now. Its also not linear at all. In fact it has one of the better level designs out of all modern metroidvanias. The weapon and build variety is very good as well. Its not a 10/10 but a solid 8/10 for me so far. I am 17 hours in and probably halfway through.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom