Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Last Spell Mana Wells Early Access

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: The Arcade Crew; The Last Spell

The Last Spell is available in Early Access on Steam. This game is basically a turn based, tower/town defense, character building, town building, party based CRPG game. So, a little bit of everything? It's currently on sale for $17.99, which is a 10% discount through June 17th.

The Last Spell is a tactical RPG with roguelite elements. During the days, you’ll have to carefully choose how you will re-build your city and how you’ll position your defenses. Will you prioritize buying a brand new flaming sword, or build a Mana Well to regenerate some priceless Mana after battles?

During night, you’ll have to exterminate all the monsters coming at your walls with a large range of weapons and powers. Level up your heroes, and repeat until the end.​

There's also a video from Wanderbots showing some of the gameplay.

So, kind of like Final Fantasy Tactics with a town and defenses. Not a bad concept, honestly. One of the few games from that series of games that I actually liked.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Decent Steam review score so far. I might give this a try when I have time.

Humanophage

Arcane
Pro-tip: die on your first attempt after a couple of days. The first run is for 'learning' and it bizarrely strips you of your rewards.

I quite liked the earlier demo version. Currently playing Early Access. They made it grindier than the demo by locking all the abilities behind achievements. The strongest point of the demo was the impressive array of builds you can come up with due to weapon variety. But now you can't have any weapons except sword, wand, and bow until you die a few times, which is unfortunate. It would have been more fun if there was some kind of a tech tree instead of the unlocks.

Also it is finally a turn-based tactics game with fast animation! The animations are near-instant without even changing the speed. How amazing is that? Why can't all turn-based game be like this? Not only is the animation humane, but the enemies all move simultaneously! This feels like magic after all the inanity of the nuXcom and such.

Looks pretty good. I was kinda hoping the title implied that the game was centered around the literal last magic spell available in the world somehow.

Zeriel

Arcane
Looks pretty good. I was kinda hoping the title implied that the game was centered around the literal last magic spell available in the world somehow.

The storyline is that they are trying to create a spell to end all magic, since magic destroyed everything. Hence the name.

Zeriel

Arcane
My biggest gripe so far with balance is that melee is just almost always the worst choice, and not by a small degree either. This is compounded by the fact there are no classes, everyone can equip ranged weapons, and you have swappable sets. So there's no "class identity" rewarding melee characters with more toughness or utility, the only (slight) utility is melee weapon set skills, and so far I find a lot of them far worse than ranged. The stun on hammers and aoe on spear is kind of nice, but it's not like there isn't huge aoe at range too. You can build melee to be tanky, but it's a major investment, and in the end it seems like the "point" of melee is building a tank that can take hits to distract the hordes to lessen the load on the walls and elsewhere, rather than the damage they do.

Peachcurl

Cipher
Yup, fun game loop.

And I agree that the main point of melee seems to be crowd control (and a bit of tanking). Don't have an issue with that though, seems like an important role to fill.

Though the initial sword that you get is just awful at everything. Sure, you get a lot of mobility, but there's hardly any use for that.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Gay art but yeah looks fun. Love well done TDs

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom