Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Last Spell - tactical RPG with roguelite mechanics - now available on Early Access

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by kreight, Dec 30, 2020.

1. kreight Guest

kreight
    https://lastspell.com

Show Spoiler

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Wysardry Augur Patron

Wysardry
    They're going to have to be quick to release it in 2020.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. RNGsus taffer Patron

RNGsus
  4. Stormcrowfleet Arcane

Stormcrowfleet
    RNGsus Is it really based on Night Land?

^ Top  
  5. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    Yea the first thing I think of when I hear The Night Land is fucking Final Fantasy and Dynasty Warriors. Fuck off.

^ Top  
  6. Tyranicon A Memory of Eternity Developer

Tyranicon
    The Soviet Union is back and making video games?

HYPE.

^ Top  
  7. kreight Guest

kreight
    Are your bodily fluids ready? Because they are gonna take them from you.

^ Top  
  8. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    Intrigued. JRPG-TBT with base building and fail forward mechanics? Sounds like a winning combo to me. Unfortunately the music is so bad I don't know if I could stand to play it.

^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Oh yeah, there's a demo of this for the Steam Game Festival.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    I tried a few minutes of the demo. I guess there are three phases to the game - combat, resource gathering, and building defenses. I only played the combat part so far. Lots of tiny fiddly RPG rules here, in a good way, I didn't read any of that but quickly learned some of the maneuvers for each character. I do like that the focus is on huge armies of weak enemies, you learn quickly to lean hard on area effect attacks and you feel powerful even as you're getting hacked to pieces. Kind of a shame to play this without music but the death metal is too awful for words. Sadly on the discord a few people are praising the music and no one but me is going ehhhhhh

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. kreight Guest

kreight
    Their FAQ says the music guy is Remi Gallego. You can check out his music on spotify, it's not only death metal.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Yeah, as I commented on the discord, the guy is clearly very talented. It makes sense to me though that he comes from a performance background with no soundtrack experience.

^ Top  
  13. tripedal Savant

tripedal
    Released in EA today, looks very interesting.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Elim Augur

Elim
    Project: Eternity
    Any reviews from reputable fellow neckbeards?

^ Top  
  15. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  16. Andhaira Arcane

Andhaira
    This is a must buy for me, thoroughly enjoyed the demo. Only thing is if I should buy now or wait for Full release

^ Top  
  17. Thac0 JRPG ambassador Patron

Thac0
    How does it compare to They are Billions? That aspect of the trailer looked most interesting to me.

^ Top  
  18. Andhaira Arcane

Andhaira
    No idea, never played it. I dislike tower defence games, this is only the 2nd I've ever played. First was Dominus decades ago.

I like TLS due to the fun combat, abilities and grim dark atmosphere. I just wish abilities were tied to character classes or professions rather than items, but I can pretend it's that way when I play so it won't bother me too much

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Brickfrog Novice

Brickfrog
    Played it for a few hours, the gameplay loop seems solid. It does the modern rogue like thing where your first few runs are pretty much 100% hopeless because the difficulty seems to be tuned for players who have acquired globally persistent upgrades which are purchased post-game.

Overall it's pretty good at $17 if the words roguelite-towerdefense don't make you wretch. Worth mentioning that this isn't like a warcraft 3 mod kind of tower defense. The heroes do the heavy lifting in combat.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Isn't TAB real-time? TLS is turn-based, very JRPG tactical in its visual presentation. And the setting is very strong dark fantasy. I guess the only thing really in common is that both have huge swarms of enemies - which is certainly a novel change for JRPG tactics.

^ Top  
  21. tripedal Savant

tripedal
    Been playing it a bit, it's quite good. Addictive gameplay loop, very nice presentation, great music, tons of stuff to unlock (it's got a double meta progression system: half based on cheevos, half based on a resource you can choose where to spend). It's turn-based so it's a bit slow but that just goes with the territory. There's a bunch of resources to manage, lots of choices to make, and the systems all seem well-balanced thus far. The abilities available to each hero depend on the weapon they have equipped and you can change it freely (and there are two loadouts you can swap mid-battle). The tower defense aspect isn't particularly emphasized, it's really about controlling your 3 dudes.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Humanophage Arcane

Humanophage
    I also bought the EA after playing the demo. The combat part is quite fun, although the unlocking is at first tedious because it limits build variety for no good reason. The difficulty is to a large degree determined by the unlocks, although it slows down later.

I posted about this in the news section, but I can't emphasise just how convenient the short animations are. Even at the default speed, they are near-instant. This is an extremely welcome change from the unskippable and slow animations in many recent 3D games. There is also the massive bonus that all enemies move simultaneously rather than one by one. If only more games did this.

A couple of points:
    - You get more than 3 dudes. You can expand the hero cap. I'm not sure what the max is, but it is at least 6.
    - Although you only get 3 weapon types in the beginning, this later expands to quite a lot.
    - Multi-hit enhancers for the hand crossbow seem very powerful.

Also for now, I agree with the critique that melee options are subpar. The only justification for me has been that you can use melee execute to finish off near-dead opponents without spending action points. However, you can probably afford to spend a couple of multi-hits.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.