Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The Legend of Sword and Fairy aka Chinese Paladin

Nostaljaded

Savant
The Legend of Sword and Fairy aka Chinese Paladin (仙劍奇俠傳)
Developed by Softstar Entertainment Inc, Taiwan
Fan Translated by PalFans
SDLPal by Whistler
SDLPal International by SuperMouse & Co.

Download
(Translation files works for both the DOS & Windows version aka PalDos/Pal95/Pal98.)

Official Executables for Supported Platforms (use the 'Download' button @ README.md section)

Other Platform Forks
Vita, PSP

Ingame screenshots

This isn't your Chinatown.

Ever fought against grass bushes?

New Equip & Status screen layout (applicable only for SDLPal)

jxqKm69.png

Hotkeys
General
Enter/Space/Numpad Enter - Ok/Search/Speak
Esc/Insert/Alt/Numpad 0 - Menu/Cancel

Skill/Item Menu

Page Up - Scroll Up 1 Page
Page Down - Scroll Down 1 Page
Home - First Item (SDLPal only)
End - Last/Newest Item (SDLPal only)

Adventure-specific shortcuts

Q - Quit Game
W - Equip Item
E - Use Item
S - Status Screen
F - Spell

Battle-specific shortcuts
Q - Flee Battle
W - Use Projectiles
E - Use Item
R - Repeat Previous Command
A - Auto Attack Previous Enemy
S - Status Screen
D - Defend
F - Auto Spell Usage (Strongest)

Mac/Linux/UNIX-like:
Please use these instructions to build the platform-specific SDLPal.exe.

Text overflow check ~55% of Eng-translated message file.
(Terracotta characters are still present ingame for some poetry dialogs. Huehue is fine with it and may the force be with you as well.)

Mitigation when encountering a game-breaking bug
- Fallback to Pal.exe
- If doesn't resolved, replaced the overwritten files with the original files. If doing so fixes the problem, report and upload the savegame (X.rpg) just before the bug happens.

Still having problems after following the above 2 steps?
Then it's a bug native to game itself, not due to SDLPal/ENG fan translation.

This release would not have happened without Felipepepe's Kodex shout outs.

TLDR: Ideal to serve as the main cuisine on Chinese pre-MMO RPGs (those glory days).

P.S. Gunning to upload the edited ENG translated files on 7th July for its 20th anniversary if no game-breaking bug has been found.
Kppreciated, Kuineas.

Last edited:

Nostaljaded

Savant
Found the PAL modding tool to alter the character limits for each line, so doing a 2nd edit pass for a more thorough edit.
New ETA - End of July

Does the kodex hivemind has the prerequisite level to unlock for an ingame poetry translation challenge?

色夜思
床前人成雙、衣裳脫光光
舉頭捉小鳥、低頭吃香蕉

Literal Translation:
Lustful Night Thought
Man and Woman becomes a pair at the foot of the bed;
naked away from their clothing.
Raising head to grab the bird;
lowering head to eat the banana.

It's a whimsical word play on a famous Chinese poem, Quiet Night Thought.

The translation has to be under 50-character (25 per line) limit. Could also be substituted with a word play of a well-known English nursery rhyme/poem.

Last edited:

Nostaljaded

Savant
Here's the completed files.
(Overwrite the files in 1st post.)

As the saying goes,
Every fat meddler has their
very own pet meander lines
to be frown upon.

Inserted my own rendition of a famous 2-liner for the previous post poetry.
(Hope it will bring smiles when encountering ingame.)

And below is an alternate translation for another poetry, the original translated version remains ingame.

既不回頭,何必不忘;
既然無緣,何需誓言。
今日種種,似水無痕,
明夕何夕,君已陌路。

You ain't returning, why remember me?
We ain't meant to be, why make promises?
Today will just be sweet memories;
Come tomorrow, we'll just be strangers.

Pending Romhacking.net approval.

getter77

Augur
Congrats---there may be a ridiculous amount of games out there of this sort still untranslated, but each release helps to build momentum---especially with this one being a classic by all indications.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Ermm, what I did was only translation cleanup and fixing inconsistencies.
v2.5 (the translation that was based on) has been floating on the net since 2010.

And putting it up at Romhacking.net for better exposure to the English audience.

Anyway, do shoutout if another pair of eyes is needed for testing wapanese games. Might be interested if story/gameplay piques me.
(My Japanese is only at game appreciation level, not fit for translation.)

Just contributing back (if I can and time permits) to games that I loved.

palmusicfan

Novice
GOOD JOB!

Hello! I am PalMusicFan, Whistler's friend. Now we have an enhanced SDLPal to exceed the text system limits of the original game.

Now we have:
1. More space for item name. Now it supports 8 characters / 16 letters per item name.
2. More Space for translated dialogs. (You can ADD NEW TEXT LINES. )
3. Internal Unicode support.

Actually, we have defined the LANGUAGE FILE format. The LANGUAGE FILE is a Unicode text file. Just edit the text. :)

We hope this may help you to make the English patch better.

It also comes with other new features. For example, a new audio player model.

Project Page: https://github.com/louyihua/sdlpal

We will release the screenshots and Playable EXE pack soon, or you can compile from source code. https://github.com/louyihua/sdlpal

PalMusicFan

Nostaljaded

Savant
So is this the current SDLPal development repository?
Kinda getting confused which is the official one.

Now we have:
1. More space for item name. Now it supports 8 characters / 16 letters per item name.
2. More Space for translated dialogs. (You can ADD NEW TEXT LINES. )
3. Internal Unicode support.
Briefly looked through the configuration file. Need some assistance.

Do you have any web links/better resources for modifying 'm.msg' & 'sss.mkf'?
The PalDialogs tool does not allow new line insertions and no support for Traditional Chinese. Could be more modding-friendly too.

Where's the location for the item descriptions in PalDos?
Can't find it in the SDLPal repository. May want to look at the possibility of doing up a PalDos ENG.

We will release the screenshots and Playable EXE pack soon, or you can compile from source code.
Please let me know when there's a stable release build. Will be good to include both Classic & ATB exes.
Will update the links in romhacking if I have new updates for the translation.

P.S. Saw your message in romhacking as well. Do let me know if prefer to further discuss in PM either here (the raptors' den) or at romhacking.

palmusicfan

Novice
So is this the current SDLPal development repository?

Whistler's project is here:
https://github.com/CecilHarvey/sdlpal

Maybe we can call this fork (https://github.com/louyihua/sdlpal) "SDLPal International". :)

Do you have any web links/better resources for modifying 'm.msg' & 'sss.mkf'?
No, but since we have defined the LANGUAGE FILE format, you don't need to modify the 'm.msg' and the 'sss.mkf' anymore. You just need to edit the LANGUAGE FILE with a common text editor.

Now let me explain!

Actually, '.mkf' is a package format. The 4th file in the 'sss.mkf' is the message index file, and the 5th file in 'sss.mkf' is the Main Game Script file. Both of them are HEX files.
There are many kinds of script commands in the Main Game Script file. The "FFFF" command mains "Display a Text Line", just ONE Line. So, if you need to add new lines, you have to add more "FFFF" commands. However, as we konw, inserting new commands will move the following commends. Once the commends are moved, we have to adjust lots of data. I think that is why the PalDialogs tool does not allow new line insertions. It is too complex. Of course, I think the official game script editor can automatically handle all the issues, but we don't have it. BTW, old save files will become invalid once you changed certain script data.

So, in order to exceed the text system limits, we designed a new text system and a external LANGUAGE FILE format. Once an external LANGUAGE FILE is enabled, the new text system will no longer load text data from message index file and the 'm.msg'. It will use text lines of the external LANGUAGE FILE.

This is a part of an external LANGUAGE FILE:

[BEGIN MESSAGE] 1350
Li's Aunt:
Justice? They left you
behind, do you call that
'Justice'?
[CLEAR MESSAGE]
If I'm not running this
inn,you wouldn't be
here. Even after all my
hardwork, you grew up
[CLEAR MESSAGE]
to be a lazy bum.
[END MESSAGE] 1356

Yes, it's just a Unicode text file. You just need to edit the text with a regular text editor. You can add new lines and [CLEAR MESSAGE] commands. The new text system will do all the other things for you. Do NOT edit contents like "[BEGIN MESSAGE] 1350" and "[END MESSAGE] 1356".

Where's the location for the item descriptions in PalDos?
The original PalDos has no item descriptions.

Please let me know when there's a stable release build. Will be good to include both Classic & ATB exes.
We need your advice. Now the contets of the "Word.dat" are also included in the external LANGUAGE FILE. Since you can use longer item names, we are not sure what the Equip Interface layout for English should be.

Example "Word.dat" part of external LANGUAGE FILE:

[BEGIN WORDS]
190=Tai Chi Sword <- My translation.
191=Dustless Sword <- Yes! More space!
192=QS Staff
193=SkullStaff
194=SnakeStaff
195=S.Staff
196=Scarf
197=Silk Scarf
198=Hair Pin
199=Silver Pin
200=Jade Pin
[END WORDS]

OK! PM, please!

MisterStone

Arcane
The Legend of Sword and Fairy aka Chinese Paladin (仙劍奇俠傳)
Developed by Softstar Entertainment Inc, Taiwan
Fan Translated by PalFans
SDLPal by Whistler

Proofread and minor edits to the first ~30% of Eng-translated message file, only spell checks to be expected for the rest.
Due to purrfeck Engrish translation and character limit constraints, play this game NOT for its translation.
(Terracotta characters are present ingame for some items and poetry dialogs. Huehue is fine with it and may the force be with you as well.)

Mitigation when encountering a game-breaking bug
- Fallback to Pal.exe
- If doesn't resolved, overwrite all files in 'Translat/CHS' subfolder to main game folder. If doing so fixes the problem, report and upload the savegame (X.rpg) just before the bug happens.

Still having problems after following the above 2 steps?
Then it's a bug native to game itself, not due to SDLPal/ENG fan translation.

This release would not have happened without Felipepepe's Kodex shout outs.

TLDR: Ideal to serve as an appetizer for an impression on Chinese pre-MMO (those glory days) RPGs.

P.S. Gunning to upload the edited ENG translated files on 7th July for its 20th anniversary if no game-breaking bug has been found.
Kppreciated, Kuineas.

Bros, have you already translated everything? I missed it... I wish I had known about it earlier. :'(

Nostaljaded

Savant
May you succeed where I failed our sweet codexia.... :negative:

So did you try to translate or are you one of the original translators?

MisterStone said:
Bros, have you already translated everything? I missed it... I wish I had known about it earlier. :'(

The PalWin is already translated except for some poetry and non-important lines. Get it @ romhacking site in 1 of my earlier posts.

If the 'SDLPal International' fork is going according to their plans which is soonish™, I will release an updated version using the same translation that's compatible for DOS version (the original intended difficulty one).
Will have an ETA once I have an idea of how much work is needed.

Once it is released, anyone can easily pick up the slack in refining the half-arsed translation due to character limits as it will be in plain text format. All thanks to 'SDLPal International' fork for making it possible.

In the meantime, use your favorite search engine to search for PalDOS which is not a freeware.

palmusicfan

Novice
Sorry! The disc image file in the ipa file includes CD sound tracks only. The game files are just zipped in the ipa file.

Nostaljaded

Savant
New Equip & Status screen layout (applicable only to 'SDLPal International' fork)
jxqKm69.png

Next release changelog:
v3.10 (by Nostaljaded)
- PalDOS ENG support (applicable only to 'SDLPal International' fork, not motivated to copy over 10k lines line-by-line for original SDLPal DOS support)
- Cross-referenced and corrected original Chinese dialog lines in DOS & WIN (applicable only to the 'SDLPal International' fork externalized message file to serve as base for modding and other language translations)
- Refactored Equip & Status screen layout to accommodate long item names (applicable only to 'SDLPal International' fork)
- Translated poison bugs item descriptions (leftover from v3.00)
- Translated Chinese poetry (one more)
- Replaced inbattle status with symbols due to 3 character limits
- Renamed lesser NPCs' names in Pinyin format to be consistent with main characters
- Other minor text cleanups
Will upload once 'SDLPal International' fork releases a beta on their GitHub page.
(The original WIN exe has all the ENG included changes except for the refactored Equip & Status screen layout and those stated in readme.txt)

P.S. How do I edit the OP post for updating links and info?

Nostaljaded

Savant
v3.1 has been uploaded to romhacking, awaiting approval.
Due to recent google shenanigans with romhacking site, files are only accessible after logging in.

So here's the
Direct Download v3.1

Official EXE Release Link

Unofficial EXE Direct Download provided as it is with no support.
(Courtesy from PalMusicFan, link will be removed once there's an official release in GitHub)
sdlpal_int_r179.exe
SHA-1: 0db9a090bf9bed5dd2f039e0b33526ad3349e4aa
MD5: cea9a1c491765f0ded1100f64b889e03
CRC32: 5f9c966b

SDL2.dll
SHA-1: fb8b1ba166913c18eb00f8ca53439d0f4ee54359
MD5: ae58662a16410481b477b78b8d47460b
CRC32: 92a52cc1

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Since we got experts here, I got a question: I've read about this "PAL98 dungeons and combat are easier" thing many times, even Wikipedia mentions it. But never saw actual evidence or comparisons.

And I think it's bullshit.

I first played using the "Pal98rqp" freeware version. It IS the PAL98 version, it even has the extended ending cutscenes. However, the dungeons are EXACTLY as in the DOS version.
Here's a map of one of the largest dungeons from the PALDOS version:

XsOSH9n.jpg
That was exactly what I explored in my PAL98 version:

DsgY2Dc.png

All the other maps are exactly the same.

Now, I recently played the XP / 2001 remake and that was a clearly noticeable load of crap. The map above was entirely removed, and they changed the mazes full of enemies into a straight line full of enemies (I almost ragequit in that dream sequence intro). So, I have the impression that people started to mistake one for another, spread the misinformation and no one bothered to check...

What do Nostaljaded and palmusicfan think?

Nostaljaded

Savant
Objection!

The prosecutor made a baseless statement.
Your honor, in the 1st proper dungeon...
mNi72np.jpg
From what I gathered on the net, not all dungeons are simplified, JUST 8 of them...

Other difficulty easing (from net as well):
Skill learning level requirements lowered
Most enemies HP lowered

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
...really? So they dropped like 5% of the map? That is what Wikipedia calls "the whole difficulty reduced by simplification of mazes"?

Fuck this, most game patches are more meaningful than this. Who cares about 8 dungeons when just that goddamn demon prison tower has 12 levels?

Also, lowering HP and Skill level requirement is a blessing. The game's combat is extremely dull, due to the dumb skill system and how you regenerate HP & Mana outside battle. 99% of battles are simply "spam best AoE until everyone dies", and most boss battles simply require you to heal every other turn, outlasting the enemy. This isn't challenging combat, and if they weren't able to fix it, then making it fly by faster is a welcome change.

Last edited:

palmusicfan

Novice
This isn't challenging combat, and if they weren't able to fix it, then making it fly by faster is a welcome change.
Try DREAM Mod v2.11 by 外塞之雾, I think that is what you want. :)
http://www.palhero.net/?p=1566
Direct download: http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=2158248002&uk=4047322464
Please send me a message if this file is blocked.
It is based on the original DOS version, not for the Win95 Version. You need to start new game. Don't load the states of the original game.

Whistler

Novice
just a note (with a little spoiler):

the DREAM mod was in the _extremely_ opposite direction to the original "press F to win" style (ie. for hardcores only) :)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
After searching to the end of the net for the original dos version, I finally found it. Then I looked at the English patch readme and, lo and behold, it linked me back to fucking codex. :lol:

Anyway it seems that the folders in the patch you download from romhackinmg has mixed the [win] and [dos] folders. The [win] folders where the ones that worked for the dos version I found, and it's definitely the dos version, it has the simple 2D intro and not the 3D rendered ones of the 98' version.

Anyway, since it's a fucking hassle to find the dos version I've upload it here: [removed because I probably fucked it up]
Already patched with the translation patch and ready to go. Just run the sdlpal.exe

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom