Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So many? There's really only about 8. For a series this long, that's actually a pretty low number.

Well, I really enjoyed the Gameboy games. Especially the Oracle titles, which are very reminiscent of The Link to the Past and the first game. I loved playing Four Swords Adventures on the GameCube with my friends, but that's the only way you'll get any fun out of it. Single player for that game is very meh. The Minish Cap wasn't as good as the Gameboy games, and the gameplay was very passive (there were more puzzles than combat if I remember), but very solid. I haven't played Awakening, but many say it's better than Oracle so I can't wait to play that.

The first NES game needs no introduction. If you're a graphics whore maybe go with the BS game modified to play just like the original, but you can't go wrong with OG Zelda. Zelda II has it's detractors/lovers (many of which are on the Codex, unsurprisingly) - but I think the unique 2D gameplay makes it worth at least 1 shot.

Don't bother with the Four Swords game on the DSi/GBA. It's boring even with people.

I hope you meant 2D in graphics and not in gameplay, I haven't played any of those 2.5D Zelda games on the DS/3DS.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Men, while I wait for Wii U Zeldas to go on sale, which 2D Zeldas are worthwhile? There are sooo many. As mentioned before, I played Link to the Past, it was okay. Are any of the later ones as good as the 3d games? Thanks!

Well like I said the Nintendo DS games are good. But they are like what OoT is compared to MM. Zelda: Phantom Hourglass is (in the sea :D) and bigger than Zelda: Spirit Tracks (wich is on a train :D). But the Spirit Tracks has better content and shigthly improved mechanics. So I would go for that one first, also if you have someone with game you can play the competive game mode wich is pretty fun (but I guess you aren't interessted in that).

I don't own A Link Between Worlds our the Tri-Force Heros so can't recomend them.

Four Swords you must have a second player to be fun (yes you can play by yourshelf but please don't it's sad).

Minish Cap for the Gameboy Advance is good I supose. Not great nor bad, in middle but it still is more fun than Wind Waker.
Now the Zeldas for the Gameboy Color wich are Zelda: Oracle of Seasons / Oracle of Ages and the Link's Awakening DX are problably the most original (or crazy), forgotten and underrated Zelda games out there. You should definitivly give them a try.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I loved playing Four Swords Adventures on the GameCube with my friends, but that's the only way you'll get any fun out of it. Single player for that game is very meh.

I played the Four Swords with a friend of mine in my 3DS when Nintendo gave it for free. I was kinda fun, but nothing from another world. And I though Four Swords Adventures would be more of the same. So it's bette you sayr?

I haven't played Awakening, but many say it's better than Oracle so I can't wait to play that.

Trust me. Play it. it's really fun and wild (in the sense of being original but at the same time stupid in a good way).

I haven't played any of those 2.5D Zelda games on the DS/3DS.

They are definitivly better than Wind Waker. But it's like I said. They are the same formula, but one is bigger, and the other is shorter with some improvements to the mechanics. But they are worthy of your time

Ivan

Arcane
What are your top 3 from the following?

Link's Awakening - Phantom Hourglass - Spirit Tracks - Minish Cap- Oracle of Seasons - Oracle of Ages

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
It would be:
  • Oracle of Seasons
  • Oracle of Ages
  • Spirit Tracks
I haven't completed Link's Awakening DX (just the first 2 dungeons). Still you really have to try it.

Now Oracle of Ages concentrates more on puzzles, while Oracle of Seasons focuses on action.

In oracle of ages you travel in time between the present-day Labrynna and past. While on Seasons you have to have 2 locations Holodrum and the subterranean world of Subrosia. Also in Seasons like the name sugests there is a Season mechanic that pretty much changes the landscape with the different texture accordingly to the season but also unlocks/locks certain areas. There is also a thing wich as to do with the link cable of the Gameboy Color and some passwords were you unlock an alternative version of each game plus some new items.
Typical Nintendo if you ask me, they burn away their games and consoles potencial and sucess with their acessories fetiche.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I played the Four Swords with a friend of mine in my 3DS when Nintendo gave it for free. I was kinda fun, but nothing from another world. And I though Four Swords Adventures would be more of the same. So it's bette you sayr?
Yup. Action is more fun, puzzles are easier but the polish is there. The arcade-like level design also helps with short-but-sweet sessions. It's great, if you ask me.
Trust me. Play it. it's really fun and wild (in the sense of being original but at the same time stupid in a good way).
I've played a little, I know that it's full of quirky Mario references, so I'm sure to eventually buy it on the eShop.
They are definitivly better than Wind Waker. But it's like I said. They are the same formula, but one is bigger, and the other is shorter with some improvements to the mechanics. But they are worthy of your time
Maybe for ALBW, but you wouldn't catch me with those DS games. The stylus-only controls make me want to puke.
What are your top 3 from the following?

Link's Awakening - Phantom Hourglass - Spirit Tracks - Minish Cap- Oracle of Seasons - Oracle of Ages

Just combine the two Oracle games, you're missing out if you don't use the password to get the extra ending. To correct DJO, you only need a single password that you got from the previous game you beaten (doesn't matter where you start, but I always liked Seasons better), not a link cable. The link cable is just another way of doing it (I believe you don't even need to beat the game).

Also: Capcom made the Oracle games. Don't think Nintendo forced them to use the link cable.

Kefka1134

Sorry but if Link to the Past doesn't jump out compared to the other 3D zeldas, you are probably wasting your time with the likes of Link's Awakening or even the DS zeldas, etc. They follow the same formuli and graphical structure and whatnot for the most part. That isn't to say there isn't necessarily big gap in experience between 2D Zeldas, however.

Even though it might be my least favorite 2D zelda, that doesn't change the fact that it's still kind of leagues ahead of most of the 3D ones, with the possible exception of TP, which was positively magnificent.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Mostly changes are just nostalgia-fag based and pointless. If you truly love fucking around swiming as a Zora or glitching the way to get back to the great bay temple with the ice arrows just play the original game, which doesn't look that bad in emulators.

Ezekiel

Arcane
What's the best way to play this? Tell me about that PC project. Somebody posted some screenshots in the screenshot thread a few weeks ago. Began to replay it on PJ64 yesterday, but there were some hiccups and a 30 second long interruption asking me to pay before even beginning the emulation.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
The original is clunky, the 3ds version fixes some jank and adds a bunch of its own. The PC project is in its infancy, the OoT one just posted a 60fps alpha.

So pick whatever recommended emulator from the emu thread and play.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Hate RetroArch so much. Just switching from my DS4 (Because the right stick has an awful deadzone/drift now.) to my X360 controller is so complicated. Hate that RetroArch is the best emulator now. Mashing all the emulators into one makes it the most user-unfriendly one I've ever used.

The 3DS remake improved a few things, but it also fucked up some music tracks and the UI in it is pretty ugly and the small amount of new content it added isn't anything worthwhile. If you have a Switch then that's probably the best way to play it, otherwise I don't know that you're going to do better than PJ64.

Hate RetroArch so much. Just switching from my DS4 (Because the right stick has an awful deadzone/drift now.) to my X360 controller is so complicated. Hate that RetroArch is the best emulator now. Mashing all the emulators into one makes it the most user-unfriendly one I've ever used.

retroarch is not an emulator, it's just a frontend. You can always download a standalone version of the emulator in question if you don't like retroarch's interface.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

retroarch is not an emulator, it's just a frontend. You can always download a standalone version of the emulator in question if you don't like retroarch's interface.

I think some of the emulator cores Retroarch uses are based on existing emulators but further developed and sometimes more stable than the older emulators they are based on, so sadly in some cases retroarch would be the best way to play certain roms, if you need it to be the "best" though or if you need specific filter or shader options the stand-alone emus don't provide

I'm usually happy with the existing stand-alone emulators though

Ezekiel

Arcane
The Xbox 360 controller is bad. Decided to pair my other PS4 controller. Chances are the PS4 will collect dust for a while again anyway. Runs pretty much perfectly in RetroArch. But yeah, awful UI.

Another game needs to rip off Groundhog Day. I haven't played this game as many times as Ocarina of Time. Still generally remember everything, but I don't remember exactly how to get to a solution (both where to go and what to do) a lot of the time, so in that way it's more satisfying to me than Ocarina. Feels more polished. World is more populated with interesting stuff. Of all the Nintendo games I've played, best side quests and NPCs. That Dolby Surround mix is better than other early 2.0 surround mixes I've heard in games. Remember in Sly 1 or 2 my own footsteps bleeding into the surrounds. Like the humor, the wackiness. Had forgotten you stuff the Deku Scrub princess into your bottle. Made me chuckle.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane

I don't think those modders did a very good job. They changed the aesthetics. N64 is also in that very blocky era where placing a high res texture over a simplistic object looks weird. Only game I've ever used a fan texture pack on is RE4. Their work was more faithful than this and the Gamecube is complex enough that the HD textures don't stand out against the simplistic surfaces as much. With an N64 game, I'd rather appreciate the original art. Absorb the shitty tech of the era for all its shittiness. I do play it in HD, though. Well, 4K. I'm not that anal. With black bars on the side, because in Ocarina I saw some stuff on the sides that I wasn't meant to see in widescreen, like Epona continuing to gallop while stationary in the ending and the Lens of Truth cut off at the sides.

4.jpg

99.jpg

Don't have a problem with 4:3. There just wasn't an option to enable it in that Ocarina PC port/debug thing.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Don't remember the water temple bosses being this hard. I had seven hearts. There are no hearts in the boss arenas. I mean, hard compared to other 3D Zelda bosses. Does Majora's Mask have a death count on the save file selection, like Ocarina? Seem to remember it does not. At least I got double harts for getting all the stray fairies.

Gastrick

Cipher
What's the best way to play this? Tell me about that PC project. Somebody posted some screenshots in the screenshot thread a few weeks ago. Began to replay it on PJ64 yesterday, but there were some hiccups and a 30 second long interruption asking me to pay before even beginning the emulation.
The original on emulator.

As for the discussion earlier on this page, the handheld Zelda games mostly sucked, and only Link's Awakening is worth playing.

Ezekiel

Arcane
mm2.jpg

Didn't even remember this part. It's immoral. Where you have to reflect the light from mirror to mirror to sunlight block as the Black Boes keep interrupting you and the light keeps cooling off. Someone on the team was thinking, "How can I really piss off the player?"

Ezekiel

Arcane
The completionist in me is satisfied about getting all the stray fairies. The practical part of me is disappointed for remembering all you get for finding all the fairies in the Tower Temple pictured above is the lousy fairy sword that can only be used with one of the C buttons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom