Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Zelda 2 wasn't a bad game, but it didn't feel like a Zelda game.

Last edited:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I assume you mean Zelda II... Yeah, now it doesn't feel like a traditional Zelda game, but remember it came out before the formula was calcified by A Link to The Past. I think it's admirable that Nintendo was willing to try totally different things back then. Neither Zelda I or II were anything like any other games of the time. The Zelda II design could have kicked the ass of Castlevania and Metroid if they had refined it for the SNES game.

DragoFireheart

I assume you mean Zelda II...

Yes, I meant Zelda 2. Thank you for pointing out that typo.

Yeah, now it doesn't feel like a traditional Zelda game, but remember it came out before the formula was calcified by A Link to The Past. I think it's admirable that Nintendo was willing to try totally different things back then. Neither Zelda I or II were anything like any other games of the time. The Zelda II design could have kicked the ass of Castlevania and Metroid if they had refined it for the SNES game.

But it's not a Zelda game.

It's like taking Mario and putting him in a RPG: It's no longer a Mario game. A "Mario" RPG now a new thing even if everything LOOKS Mario. It sounds weird but do you understand what I mean? Same thing with Final Fantasy: FFT looks like a Final Fantasy game but only in name and style. The game mechanics define the game. AKA, a spinoff, which is not a new concept.

Zelda 2 felt more like a spinoff than an actual main-zelda game franchise.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
But when Zelda II came out, there was no such thing as "a Zelda game". The Legend of Zelda had done a lot of really unusual things, but it wasn't a 'classic' yet at this point. Zelda II did follow most of the elements of the first Zelda: it had an overworld plus dungeon exploration setup, and real-time sword fighting combat, plus some of the same enemies and landmarks from the original game. Really, Z2 imroved on the sword fighting mechanics, and the series didn't catch up until Ocarina. Also, Z2 brought villages to Zelda, and that's pretty much as iconic as dungeons at this point. Also magic spells and meters, which made a lasting impact on the series.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
People have always been too hard on Zelda 2 imo, mostly because of its difficulty and side-scroller gameplay. What's funny is that it didn't really start getting disliked until Link to the Past came out and firmly established the Zelda "formula". Suddenly Zelda 2 was now being depicted as this weird spin-off game that should just be ignored by series' fans. But when it first released it was pretty well liked, especially by the RPG crowd due to its inclusion of some basic RPG mechanics and world building, plus its challenging gameplay. It's one of the first truly good action RPGs imo.

Machocruz

Arcane
Zelda 2 was highly popular at the time. Moreso than Wind Waker, which the revisionists in the media and in forums are now trying to position as the misunderstood masterpiece and 2 as the rejected black sheep, which is, of course, the opposite of market reality (not to say WW was bad, but that's how it went. That Link design is shit though). Bigger than Skyward Sword. Bigger than the admittedly inspired Majora's Mask.

Worst thing about Zelda 2 was the overworld music. Fucking decline, that was.

Zelda 1 is about as outdated as Doom, if you know what I'm sayin'.

kris

Arcane
Here I googled picture searched to make sure which Zelda was which. And i don't even remembering ever seen Zelda II being played by anyone. And then I had both the first and third. Of course without Internet it was not strange that I could completely miss a game like that. Don't look like anything I would have liked though

I love Zelda 2. I prefer it to Zelda 1, by far.

There hasn't been a Zelda game made yet that can even compare to Zelda 2's combat intensity. Death comes easy, the cost of losing all of your lives is usually a pretty huge experience penalty. The XP penalty can really ramp up the stakes when you're on your last life, running over a collapsing bridge and slime comes hurdling at you, or a red Iron Knuckle starts swinging at you in a confined space. No Zelda game will ever make me sweat like Zelda 2 does it's the most unappreciated game in the series imo. I always loved that Hyrule seemed so dark and dangerous, even the plot revolves around using Link's blood to revive Ganno.

Zelda 2 also marks the the origin of the Triforce of Courage. And one of the baddest Links imo

4gYxIeM.png

Caim

Arcane
Fun fact: the original religion of Hyrule was to be Christianity (as shown by Link's shield and some artwork), but they dropped it in A Link to the Past in favor of the Triforce stuff.

Random

Arcane
Patron
Zelda is a series that has stagnated completely since Link To The Past and merely copies the same format over and over while removing the previous game's gimmick and adding a new one. Some gimmicks are better done than others, like Majora's Mask's three days system vs. the dreadful wolf form in Twilight Princess.

Caim

Arcane
I don't really like Majora's Mask's the three-day mechanic because you are forced to reset every time meaning that you accomplish nothing in the long run but getting items.

Hitoshura

Educated
Speaking of Zelda II, there's something I never understood about action adventure/RPG of that era. Zelda is not the only franchise that attempted the platformer approach and decided to go back to the previous system (overhead view). For example, I have in mind Ys III and Faxanadu specifically. Does anyone has a theory why the idea was dropped?

Newfag-er

Liturgist
Zelda is a series that has stagnated completely since Link To The Past and merely copies the same format over and over while removing the previous game's gimmick and adding a new one. Some gimmicks are better done than others, like Majora's Mask's three days system vs. the dreadful wolf form in Twilight Princess.

That's basically every single Nintendo babies. (Mario is the one that screams particular well in my head)

Note to self: should try Zelda 2

Caim

Arcane
Speaking of Zelda II, there's something I never understood about action adventure/RPG of that era. Zelda is not the only franchise that attempted the platformer approach and decided to go back to the previous system (overhead view). For example, I have in mind Ys III and Faxanadu specifically. Does anyone has a theory why the idea was dropped?
Because of Super Metroid and Castlevania 4. Both had gotten pretty good at the sidescrolling platforming thing (and they wanted to keep that stuff fresh for Super Metroid, which would come out two years later). Zelda 3 had to stand out next to these two, which I think was the reason to go back to the three-quarters view. And it makes more sense for Link to the Past being in that sort of view for exploration purposes since most countries have both length and width, while Simon Belmont ascended a non-euclidian castle and Samus descended into Zebes.

Caim

Arcane
A Link Between Worlds' plot twist. Holy shit.

They actually went somewhere interesting.

Caim

Arcane
A Link Between Worlds' plot twist. Holy shit.

They actually went somewhere interesting.

Spoil it to me please.
Alright, here we go. First up for those who did not know this yet: the not-Ganondorf we see (Yuga) is actually a dude. As for the rest...

He works for Princess Hilda. She enlisted his help to capture the Sages from Hyrule so the Triforce could be brought to Lorule to save it, they were forced to do so because their own equivalent was destroyed and Lorule was falling apart. They succeeded in capturing the Sages (including Zelda), but they were saved by Link as part of being the second set of MacGuffins in the game. But too late, as Hilda and Yuga managed to summon Ganon... who promptly got devoured by Yuga who decided that he wanted the Triforce to himself. Fun aversion of the "suprise Ganon(dorf) is actually the bad guy" plot twist we have had so far. Yuga turns Hilda into a painting and steals her power, forcing her back to Link's side. They kill Yugadorf, Sages and kingdoms are saved, the end.

DragoFireheart

That plot twist is kinda derp IMO.

Isn't Ganon dead already? He doesn't come back in that timeline until the original LoZ.

Caim

Arcane
Hm, maybe. Oh, and with both Zelda and Ganondorf having their counterparts in Lorule, that must mean that Link has one as well, right?

He does. To keep it a secret for a bit, it has to do with his alternate form in A Link to the Past.

DragoFireheart

Hm, maybe. Oh, and with both Zelda and Ganondorf having their counterparts in Lorule, that must mean that Link has one as well, right?

He does. To keep it a secret for a bit, it has to do with his alternate form in A Link to the Past.

So there is a bunny link that's your evil rival or some shit?

:hearnoevil::balance:

Is the game at least 'non-linear' as I have heard?

Avellion

Erudite
:necro:

Nintendo announces the collector's edition which will come in limited ammounts

lucrPYql.jpg

A figure along with the game, costing 50 US Dollars for the whole package. Makes me wonder how much MM3D non collectors edition will go for, and more importantly,

How much the Nintendophiles will be willing to spend on a stand-alone skullkid. Some amiboos afterall, went for over 100 dollars shortly after launch. And I am not talking about the Dual wielding marth anomalies either, I am talking about the regular amiboos.

hqdefault.jpg

Wouldnt be surprised if you could actually profit from this in the long run.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I must have this. I must have two! One to tear open, one to never touch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom