Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
It's really fucking hard. I probably spent 100 hours and didn't finish it, though I did reach very far into it when I was 9-10.

I only finished it 15 years later with emulators and save states and walkthrough and maps.

:popamole::kingcomrade::kingcomrade: :popamole:

Last edited:

Avellion

Erudite
The pink hair was probably caused by technical reasons (The color palette chosen for link did not have the color they were looking for). Same reason why Bowser in SMW looked rather strange. It was fixed in the GBA version however

Here is some official art of Alltp

1255054774037.jpg

normal_kt-death.jpg

Nightmare fuel now in HD.

I prefer the general atmospheric efects of the old one. White fog>soothing blue background. But at least they didnt do anything retarded, and I do prefer the new Epona textures.

This is why I don't think that the 3DS remixes will ever really replace the originals for me. I will probably give them both a go at some point, but when I really want to play OoT or MM, I'll boot up the N64 originals.

The new versions look fine and everything, but these games are classics and some of their signature moments are kind of etched into my mind at this point. When the new versions mess up the mood, lighting, etc, it's takes a lot away from the experience.

Case in point:
upxkWCL.png

Plus, I'm really not a fan of the circle pad.

edit:

I mean, hell, look at Skull Kid himself in the new one:
FZy7Gdo.jpg

They changed his badass orange/purple chaos aura and replaced it with some generic purple tripe. I never even noticed Majora's Mask had neon blue pulsating veins before, but they're strangely missing from the remake. Majora's Mask is all about the mood and art direction.

This smells of decline to me:rpgcodex:

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I think the lighting and the mood of the 3D version is fine. Plus, i think is better than the original. Is more darker and more faithful with the original artworks of the game with that new lighting engine, standing out the shadows with the high contrast colours of the models.

307vigg.png

smdm50.png

307tgtl.png

iyilqt.png

Anyway, you are forgetting the most important thing: THEY CHANGED THE DIVING OF THE GAME

Keldryn

Arcane
I recall reading somewhere that with Ocarina of Time 3DS, they said that they could have done a more drastic overhaul of the graphics, but their goal was to make it look like "how you remember that it looked." I think they pulled it off pretty well. At first I thought that only some of the graphics were re-done, like character models, but when comparing screenshots/footage of the N64 and 3DS versions, it is apparent that all of the graphics were recreated from scratch.

Anyway, reviews for Majora's Mask 3D are starting to show up online. Looks like the most significant change from the original is enhancing how the Bomber's Notebook works. The Song of Double Time also lets you pick which hour to advance to, rather than just next night or day.

Also, the statues that let you temporarily suspend your game in the original now allow you to create a normal, permanent save (instead of having to reset time). This will make the game somewhat easier, but I think it was the right decision. The restrictive save system of the original was one major reason why I never got that far into the game.

Machocruz

Arcane
Case in point:
upxkWCL.png
The other changes look ok, but this is serious downgrade. Shamefur dispray. But that's modern Nintendo for you. Make things vanilla as possible. Just look at the Mario games now; everyone looks likes a plastic toy, no interesting quirks or playful proportions.

Their animu Link is even more generic than animu normally is. Here's LoZ done Macross stylee:

tumblr_mwluf0btcJ1qfgtfho1_500.jpg

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
111ji3m.jpg

This is exactly how Ganondorf looks like in 3DS. I don't find any problem with it, excepting the triforce displaced to the left which is planned for looking with the 3D effect enabled.

Also

About the swimming system changes.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
That swimming change is interesting and the video is fairly accurate.

Not sure how I feel about the change.

Gerrard

Arcane
Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
111ji3m.jpg

This is exactly how Ganondorf looks like in 3DS. I don't find any problem with it, excepting the triforce displaced to the left which is planned for looking with the 3D effect enabled.
If that's how that scene really looks, I'm ok with it. Still prefer the burnt sky look, but whatever.

Still looks like shit compared to the original.

A tower just fucking fell on top of Ganondorf, and he suddenly pops out of the wreckage gasping, snarling and rrarrrghing. In the original you're drawn to those evil eyes and glowing Tri-Force, his darkened silhouette just drives home the fact that shit just got real.

In the remake you can see every detail of his dumb character model. :rpgcodex: I may be nitpicking, but the remake misses the whole ambiance of the scene IMO.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
Aren't there texture packs for the N64 version? Someone should compare to the 3ds version.

Machocruz

Arcane
Here's a couple from different packs:

maxresdefault.jpg

MJMCell2.jpg

There aren't really any good town screenshots of the 3DS version yet, but from what I've seen, the emulated versions are sharper, with deeper relief in grain and edge work. According to these screens though, they are aesthetically kind of butt.

Avellion

Erudite
The biggest problem I see with the 3DS versions are the fucked up lighting in some scenes.

Whoever was responsible for the lighting really doesnt know what they are doing.
About the swimming system changes.

All I have to say is, thank goodness for Chataeu Romani.

Caim

Arcane
I find it amusing how it's "Kyaa!" and not "Eek!" as you'd expect it to be translated today.
This is part of the trading sequence. Link has to get that flower in that mermaid's hair, for which he offered in the original Japanese version the bikini top that she lost. Which is why she's going all that: girl's topless.

In the English version however this shit did not fly and they turned it into something more wholesome: Link had to give her a pearl necklace to get the flower.

I actually like the original Gameboy version if LttP more than that GBC version. They took out the exploit where if you went to the map menu during a screen transition, you'd appear on the wrong side of the screen on the map square you were about to travel to. It was so much fun to warp around and completely break sequence in the original, especially in the beginning when you had the chain chomp with you. I remember finishing the trading sequence and getting the overpowered boomerang before finishing the 2nd dungeon :)

Gerrard

Arcane
In the English version however this shit did not fly and they turned it into something more wholesome: Link had to give her a pearl necklace to get the flower.
Really? Pretty sure it was the bikini top in the German version I had.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Still looks like shit compared to the original.

A tower just fucking fell on top of Ganondorf, and he suddenly pops out of the wreckage gasping, snarling and rrarrrghing. In the original you're drawn to those evil eyes and glowing Tri-Force, his darkened silhouette just drives home the fact that shit just got real.

In the remake you can see every detail of his dumb character model. :rpgcodex: I may be nitpicking, but the remake misses the whole ambiance of the scene IMO.

In the 3DS version a tower fell on top of Ganondorf, hopping out of the wreckage gasping, snarling and rrarrrghing too.

I think this is more than "this version is shittier than this", i think they look and transmit differents feelings. In the original, the sky is full of black clouds like ashes, the ambience is more darker with Ganonorf looking like: i'm not finished yet!. In the 3DS version, the sky is full of red and dark clouds but you can see the lighting of the sky trying to across that blanket. Ganondorf looks like: Now you will see my true power. In my own opinion, both fits well with the game both transmitt diferent feelings.

Resuming the thread, reviews of the """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""specialized"""""""""""""""""""""""" videogames press are coming out. According with they remark, i think the worst thing of this new version is the change of the combat with Odolwa. It's completely different, and in my opinion is worse than the original.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom