Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The local co-op games thread!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just had an all-nighter on the couch with a friend going through Resident Evil: Revelations 2. So I thought, why not collect really fun local co-op games in one thread with a description on why it is fun. Nothing too serious.
----------------

Anyway, some games I have played and enjoyed with a friend in no special order:

Resident Evil: Revelations 2

Typical RE game in the style of RE 4, 5 & 6 but with one interesting twist. The characters that you play as aren't equal. There is a total of four character that are split up in two groups. Claire Redfield with Moira, and Barry with a weird little girl. When you play as Claire & Moira, Claire gets to use all kind of different guns, while Moira refuse to use firearms (even against zombies). That means that Claire is played in the typical normal RE manner, while Moira gets to use a flashlight to find special items and blind enemies. Moire also gets to use a crowbar to open certain doors and locks. She can also stun zombies from behind with the crowbar. That means that you as Claire is the main zombie dispatcher and protector while Moira plays more of a supporting role, and it works really well. With stuns, doing special attacks and so on. Really damn fun with a hefty amount of panic moments.

Barry and the little girl plays out in a similar style, except that the little girl is really weak. Her only attack is to pick up a brick that she can bash with or throw. Not really doing much damage, but she can stun with it. Her role is the similar style of support since she can sense enemies behind walls and such, which comes useful because their part of the game/campaign is more stealth focused. The little girl can also spot slow moving invisible enemies that Barry can't see, so you have to coordinate how and where to shoot to kill those one-touch-you-are-dead-bastards. Fun, and hectic as hell at times.

Took around 12 hours or so to go through the complete campaign. Some bosses are a real pain in the ass though, but most of the game was frustration free. The split-screen is a bit odd though, since it leaves some areas on the screen unused, but that is to keep the aspect ratio as if it you played it in single-player. Though the viewing areas get rather small thanks to that, but with a big enough TV...

Human: Fall Flat

Physic based puzzle game where you play as two white weird human shaped blobs. No story or anything in this game, just get from one point on the map to the next. In this game you have to manipulate all kind of objects and even vehicles to get to the exit. What makes it so damn fun is while you move around normally like in any third person game, LT and RT on the controller acts as hands and fingers, and you can grab anything with them. You can carry around stuff, climb over obstacles, you can even carry your friend or maybe if you are nice co-op partner try to save your partner by dragging them up while they are holding on for dear life on a 90 degree cliff. The game might be casual, but some maps do require some thinking and heavy coordination to get through. Some frustration is to be expected though, but it is more of the fun kind than a truly annoying frustration. It usually comes from tripping over some random object just to hurl you down from a big mountain or something like that which usually just ends in a laugh.

The best part of the game comes from saving and helping your friend in need. I remember having some serious nail-biting Stallone cliff-hanger moments in it. The screen is split down the middle, and it works well enough. I think you might be able to switch to horizontal split too if I remember correctly but I can't be sure.

That was all for now, hopefully it might get the thread going!

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
By local co-op you mean split screen or LAN? or?

Maybe I should have been more clear, but yes, split-screen games where you only need one screen, one account und so weiter.

I have PC connected to a big screen TV with a HDMI cabel, with two- 360 hand controls connected to the PC - just to get an idea what I mean.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Why not. Anything is fun in local multiplayer, even bad games like Baldur's gate : Dark alliance, but that said some games with campaigns which are fun in multiplayer :

Hired guns : This first person tile-based party-based shooter, no matter if you consider it an RPG or not, has really good level design and is already fun alone. It gains for being played with friends since you can make other characters follow one characters but you can't exactly control all characters at once like you would do in Dungeon Master or similar games and levels are built so that you will separate them anyway.
185929-hired-guns-amiga-screenshot-a-d-t-s-module-this-should-give.png

The Lost Vikings, because it's The lost vikings.
Also Trine. It's not The lost vikings. However there's more room for experimentation.

Secret of mana is a specially fun action-RPG if you happen to be exactly 3 players since not many such games allow 3 players. Secret of Evermore does not have a multiplayer mode but Seiken Densentsu 3 does if I remember right.

I played Magicka with a friend and it was fun. It's an action game where you cast spells by combining elements, and experimenting is fun. It's somewhat easy because you can reanimate your teammate (I don't even know how it plays in solo since if there's no difference it's probably hard in that case).

Bloodwych is inspired by Dungeon Master and has a 2-player mode but I don't remember liking it has much as Hired Guns, which could be logical since the levels are not built with separated characters in mind. We played with 4 characters each, while maybe 2 or 3 are enough. I can't even remember how good the game is in solo, although the first time the feary comes during your sleep to make you choose new spells is cool, and I know I was stuck.

Last edited:

Irata

Scholar
I'll just throw out the names of some of the couch co-op games my little group has enjoyed to various degrees. Many of these wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable (or at all) solo though. Release the decline!

Particle Mace
Pixeljunk Monsters Ultimate
Serious Sam
Octodad
Trine
Crimsonland
Overcooked
Broforce (or Expendabros for a free sample)
Portal 2 (using the split-screen ini edit)
Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed
Blazerush
Victor Vran (one of the only Diablo-esque games I've found that has couch co-op. Hammerfall and RAW being the other ones)
Rocket League
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
Vertical Drop Heroes

I'll also second Human Fall Flat. Risk of Rain has couch co-op, but everything is so small that it doesn't really work well.

Destroid

Arcane
Crawl, one player is the hero and the others play monsters/traps and try to kill them. Whoever kills the hero becomes the hero. Plays best with 4 but still good with less. It's on PC or Switch.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Some of the old school recommendations here are ace. I second Hired Guns, Bloodwych, The Lost Vikings/Trine, Serious Sam, Broforce and Portal 2 from personal experience (though I'm not sure if SSam has split-screen mode).

A couple more:

Tyrian is a SHMUP with 2-player mode, though it can get pretty weird with the combiner controls, especially when players accidentally combine into the megaship. Available for free on various sites, including GOG.
Dr. Drago's Madcap Chase is a game I LOVE to recommend. It's a computerized board game of a race across Europe, with many aspects of Monopoly. 2-8 players (Hotseat mode) which can be a mix of humans and CPU players. Completely abandoned, so check those areas of the internet for a decent working version.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom