Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Lord of the Rings Online - Corsairs of Umbar expansion out now

Fishy

Savant
Went back to it a couple weeks ago having left around Isengard (thank you life sub). The nostalgia is real, I find the downscaled Middle-Earth as enchanting as ever. Looking forward to visiting Minas Tirith, Mordor, Dale, Erebor and all the stuff in the middle. I'll just have to get over Rohan and what is possibly the shittiest ever mounted combat implementation.

You can see how much of a product of its era the game is, it's funny. Shitloads of stupidly clunky/grindy systems all on top of each other, stats everywhere, 42309 skills, "stealable" mining nodes and chests... There's some merit in customisation, but here the driving force seems to be obscurity and time-wasting. Thankfully none of it really matters for casual tourism and overworld questing.

Codex Year of the Donut
You can see how much of a product of its era the game is, it's funny. Shitloads of stupidly clunky/grindy systems all on top of each other, stats everywhere, 42309 skills, "stealable" mining nodes and chests...
Which is what's so good about it. It never got hit with the casualization/streamlining that destroyed every other MMO.
It has a charm that's hard to describe. Taking away the obscure and arcane things makes these games no longer feel like an RPG.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good I played it a lot couple years ago for a few months but never even left Arnor it so huge game with so much content, its not so easy on higher levels neither I played Gondorian who larped to be Ranger :lol:Dwarf and I think Hobbit too, Its nice game with lot more content than SWOTOR had, best starting arena Shire to be sure. I wonder for how long it will last in current political climate too.

Codex Year of the Donut
Sent the ranger in the Shire to help Aragorn because my character(Hobbit) is sure he will be capable of protecting the Shire without Dúnedain help :M

Codex Year of the Donut
BZJVnS0.png

neat

Codex Year of the Donut
They put a good deal of attention into making sure the dialogue is accurate. The developers are from USA, but all the dialogue uses the british-english spelling and sometimes much older variations that appeared in Tolkien's work e.g., using the word "connexion"
Probably the most faithful adaptation of Tolkien's work that exists TBH.

Codex Year of the Donut
Fangorn quest with Oldheart and his bird friend
:negative:

Probably my favorite zone so far after the shire, really well done.

Erikkolai

Learned
Amazon is producing a new LOTR tv-series, while also developing a new LOTR MMO. They're likely to release simultaneously, a couple of years from now.

There's talk of reimagining some of the characters for the sake of diversity, in both the series and the game. There's already some pressure to have a female actor portray Gandalf.

I already take it for granted that it's going to happen.

:badnews:

Good argument for enjoying LOTRO while you can. I doubt it's going to survive for much longer, at least not after the new MMO.

Codex Year of the Donut
Amazon is producing a new LOTR tv-series, while also developing a new LOTR MMO. They're likely to release simultaneously, a couple of years from now.

There's talk of reimagining some of the characters for the sake of diversity, in both the series and the game. There's already some pressure to have a female actor portray Gandalf.

Good argument for enjoying LOTRO while you can. I doubt it's going to survive for much longer, at least not after the new MMO.
They did just go through the effort of porting their engine to 64bit, I don't think they have any plans on shutting down anytime soon.

Codex Year of the Donut
Midsummer festival began today. Minas Tirith is massive, I've been lost in the city for about half an hour now.
My hobbit is terrified and wants to go back to the shire.

Codex Year of the Donut
wow the minas tirith epic questline
really don't have anything else to add about it without ruining it, that was actually really good.

Hellion

Arcane
I ended up returning to the game as well a couple of weeks ago and finally tackled the Mordor content, since it (and the Quest Packs for the surrounding areas) became free to all. Too grindy (like the rest of the game), but it has its moments.

That doesn't stop one from going sightseeing to the east of the Anduin, of course.

The "King at the Crossroads".

Minas Morgul.

Mordor.

The ruins of Barad-Dur.

Codex Year of the Donut

Stumbled upon this article, there's some good points here.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...ival-amazon/eRg12aODnJCG2vXFGGX3VL/story.html

tl;dr: It might end up being good for LOTRO. Amazon has a really, really bad track record with games(even worse now than when the article was published, lol new world)
With the TV series debuting definitely before their MMO it would likely end up getting people interested in LOTRO rather than their MMO that has a good chance of never seeing the light of day.

Codex Year of the Donut
US servers are down so I logged into the EU servers and they were discussing why censorship is good in world chat
what the fuck is wrong with europeans

Hellion

Arcane
Random images from the current Midsummer Festival and Aragorn's wedding.

bYOa1J3.jpg

W96TEMA.jpg

SMnJe0j.jpg

KgQmOet.jpg

P30uWY8.jpg

I lol'ed:

A7dhPHI.jpg

31xtFUy.jpg

Sometime during the wedding feast, the surviving Dunedain Rangers gathered to honor the player character. It was actually a rather touching moment, considering we've been questing together with these guys from Eriador to Mordor for over 10 years now.

us9nqq9.jpg

Fishy

Savant
Sometime during the wedding feast, the surviving Dunedain Rangers gathered to honor the player character. It was actually a rather touching moment, considering we've been questing together with these guys from Eriador to Mordor rescuing these guys from every cave, dungeon and bandit camp for over 10 years now.

FTFY.

Codex Year of the Donut
Sometime during the wedding feast, the surviving Dunedain Rangers gathered to honor the player character. It was actually a rather touching moment, considering we've been questing together with these guys from Eriador to Mordor rescuing these guys from every cave, dungeon and bandit camp for over 10 years now.

FTFY.
They are bros for life, don't you dare insult them.
Speaking of which, where the shit is Corudan?

Also liked how they handled Horn which stayed entirely consistent with Tolkien's work
If he doesn't die, he tells you to report him as dead. Therefore, it doesn't actually conflict with what happens in the book.

Codex Year of the Donut
my server has been offline for over a week, forums are full of fanboys sucking the big chungus and telling people it's fine
I've never encountered this once before in all my time(nearly 3 decades) of playing MMOs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom