Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Lord of the Rings Online - Legacy of Morgoth expansion announced; Before the Shadow expansion is free for everyone

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Heard some stupid lore-change thing ruined this game. Is it still fun to get into and play?

LotRO is arguably the best way to immerse yourself into Tolkien lore.
Aside from actually reading his works, definitely. It's the best adaptation.

Most importantly, does this still apply?

1) They added a hand-to-hand class called Brawler. It costs points / money so I don't see a lot of them running around. If that kind of thing breaks your immersion, listening to 'Brawlbo' the hobbit talk about his job on world chat may be too much for you.

2) Yes. I'm actually rereading the trilogy for the first time since I was a child and I decided to fire up the game in parallel. There's a ton of little tidbits, quotes and situations which they draw upon and expand quite tastefully, at least in the chunk of game that I've experienced. I'm in Moria right now, which in-game is situated in the aftermath of the Fellowship's passing, but earlier in the game I coincided with the Fellowship in Rivendell and ran some quests for them. Sometimes, a very off-hand line from the book will suddenly make its way into the game and a storyline branches off from it, which gives me a nice feeling of connection and familiarity which I wasn't expecting.

I do recommend NOT completing all the side-quests though, unless you're some kind of masochist completionist. The game has a TON of quests and, although the lore is rich and interesting and even fun to read at times, they're 80% classic MMO fetch quests. You do need to keep up with your levels or the main story will eventually pass you by a bit, but it's not hard to get an idea for how much extra work you need to do to stay on top of your level.

I DO recommend trying the game for free but, if you decide to keep playing further, to buy one of the 1-month subs. It opens up a lot of perks like being able to open a shop or your vault from anywhere and I think it also enables Swift Travel between stable masters, which is eventually going to become a necessity (the game world is huge and there's a lot of back and forth going on).

Angthoron

Arcane
Heard some stupid lore-change thing ruined this game. Is it still fun to get into and play?

LotRO is arguably the best way to immerse yourself into Tolkien lore.
Aside from actually reading his works, definitely. It's the best adaptation.

Most importantly, does this still apply?

1) They added a hand-to-hand class called Brawler. It costs points / money so I don't see a lot of them running around. If that kind of thing breaks your immersion, listening to 'Brawlbo' the hobbit talk about his job on world chat may be too much for you.

2) Yes. I'm actually rereading the trilogy for the first time since I was a child and I decided to fire up the game in parallel. There's a ton of little tidbits, quotes and situations which they draw upon and expand quite tastefully, at least in the chunk of game that I've experienced. I'm in Moria right now, which in-game is situated in the aftermath of the Fellowship's passing, but earlier in the game I coincided with the Fellowship in Rivendell and ran some quests for them. Sometimes, a very off-hand line from the book will suddenly make its way into the game and a storyline branches off from it, which gives me a nice feeling of connection and familiarity which I wasn't expecting.

I do recommend NOT completing all the side-quests though, unless you're some kind of masochist completionist. The game has a TON of quests and, although the lore is rich and interesting and even fun to read at times, they're 80% classic MMO fetch quests. You do need to keep up with your levels or the main story will eventually pass you by a bit, but it's not hard to get an idea for how much extra work you need to do to stay on top of your level.

I DO recommend trying the game for free but, if you decide to keep playing further, to buy one of the 1-month subs. It opens up a lot of perks like being able to open a shop or your vault from anywhere and I think it also enables Swift Travel between stable masters, which is eventually going to become a necessity (the game world is huge and there's a lot of back and forth going on).
Did you have much difficulty getting it to run well?

I had massive difficulty getting the laucher to launch, then to get the client to launch from launcher, and then I rubberbanded around Bree-land for 15 minutes before quitting. That was about a year ago though.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Did you have much difficulty getting it to run well?

I had massive difficulty getting the laucher to launch, then to get the client to launch from launcher, and then I rubberbanded around Bree-land for 15 minutes before quitting. That was about a year ago though.

Not on this try, which isn't to say that the game hasn't been difficult to deal with in the past. It helped that I didn't forget my password (for once) because it's always a colossal clusterfuck to deal with emails from them, for some reason. Anyway, I'm running it from Steam and it was a very straightforward affair.

Lag is something of an issue though. It's not always there and it's not always nasty, but it'll eventually happen and be nasty. Rubberbanding to the point where you literally stand still, or where the world pretty much freezes, for up to 10 seconds at a time (very rarely, more often it's just minor, and even then only during lag spikes which are again relatively uncommon). It's really random, IMO, as I'll even have lag during offpeak hours sometimes.

The problem is that it has nothing to do with your connection but rather with the server / net code that the game is built on and which was not designed around certain things which are presently needed, and it only uses a single core on the CPU, stuff like that. They keep doing "upgrades" and "fixes" but you can only put so many jet engines on a paper plane, and the official response seems to be something along the lines of "it's too expensive to fix it so we won't".

Even then, it's not stopping me from enjoying the game. I have literally zero deaths from lag, since it's not just your character but the actual area that lags.

Again, the game is F2P so it's easy to give it a try and see if you like it. The game has its own speed / flow which isn't quite WoW and not quite FF14 and good for lorefags and Tolkien-lovers.

Angthoron

Arcane
Not on this try, which isn't to say that the game hasn't been difficult to deal with in the past. It helped that I didn't forget my password (for once) because it's always a colossal clusterfuck to deal with emails from them, for some reason. Anyway, I'm running it from Steam and it was a very straightforward affair.
Ah, good. Last time I tried, it was a pain, and I had to spend a couple of hours figuring out what was wrong. It would just keep on crashing over and over. And oops, I forgot my login. Hopefully Steam remembered acc connection, or I guess I'll have to jump through hoops again.

Lag is something of an issue though. It's not always there and it's not always nasty, but it'll eventually happen and be nasty. Rubberbanding to the point where you literally stand still, or where the world pretty much freezes, for up to 10 seconds at a time (very rarely, more often it's just minor, and even then only during lag spikes which are again relatively uncommon). It's really random, IMO, as I'll even have lag during offpeak hours sometimes.
Yeah, this was my experience when I finally managed to log in. Figured I'd jump in and try and see how things worked, and wham - rubberbanding right off the bat. Good to know it's an occasional thing that isn't on my end, and it'll eventually go away (and then come back again). Though I have to say, I can see it getting on my nerves.

Oh right, and one of the story dungeons broke as I was doing it, so there's that too. One of Lorien defence steps.

Again, the game is F2P so it's easy to give it a try and see if you like it. The game has its own speed / flow which isn't quite WoW and not quite FF14 and good for lorefags and Tolkien-lovers.
I played it in Vanilla / Mines of Moria, did some "serious" raiding and all that. It's a great game, and I'd love to see what they did to the world since I've stopped playing.

ADL

Prophet
I played it in Vanilla / Mines of Moria, did some "serious" raiding and all that. It's a great game, and I'd love to see what they did to the world since I've stopped playing.

Two zones from "Before the Shadow" expansion released in November not included.

I have to be honest I've never made it past Rohan. Mounted combat was implemented so poorly that I always get half way through it at best then lose interest. Given the state of the servers it just gets worse over time.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I would give vanilla server a try. 2007-2008 game was really good. Now it seems like it has bloated too much and has this stupid ingame shop.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I don't know what it is, but Lotro has a charm to it that's attractive. I hate MMOs usually and certainly don't play them much, but occasionally it feels nice to dive into Lotro

edit - Nope, fuck it it's all troons there now so burn it down and forget it

Last edited:
Our latest update celebrates individuality with additional character customization options for the Race of Men (humans) that let players express themselves in new ways. We want to make as many players feel represented in the game as possible, and we are introducing new character creation options for your face, hair, and body!
lotroclient64-2023-05-06-22-24-55-478.jpg

where the rohirim womenz at?

Nim

Augur
Why don't the just say it?

All our players (who are most certainly white) can now continue their worship from real life, in game, by making a black character
They're afraid. All discussion of this is forbidden on their own forums and on reddit.
SSG has made the decision to allow more new options for character customization.

Unfortunately, every attempt to discuss those new options in this sub has devolved into political debate. And honestly that is understandable. Inclusivity and gender identity are a topical political issue in many countries right now.

However, we do have rule #8, which forbids any political or religious discussion, and in order to keep the sub civil, we need to hold fast to that rule.

The LOTRO official forums have similarly also banned such discussions. SSG is aware of all viewpoints concerning the new options, so further discussion here or in the forums is not going to be fruitful.
At least all this stuff accelerates the inevitable, the end of DDO and LotRO. The sooner the better.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Oh well, fuck them then and may they burn in their righteous virtue-signaling fire. There were no negroes in Rohan or asians or mongoloids

Late Bloomer

Scholar
They are locking threads it would seem. Here is a fun read, for those bored.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/212500/discussions/0/3819657908519596750/

Here is the post

Get rid of 35.1 lore breaking avatars!

I bought multiple copies of this game when it first came out. I have spent well over $500 on this game and introduced 13+ friends over the years but won't support it any longer if these changes stay. The 6 friends who I play this game with (who have also invested money into it) will not support it and play any longer either.

Please get rid of the lore breaking custom character avatar changes that were just introduced to LOTRO. They go against the racial fabric of Middle Earth. I am sorry but there are no black men with blond cornrows from Bree and seeing them now in game breaks all immersion. This forced diversity goes against the lore and kills all immersion.

Before you try to silence me with false accusations of "rAcIsM!" I would also like to point out that I'd object to Wakanda having false/forced diversity injected into its land as well. How stupid would it be to make sure that Wakanda is equal parts in every race? My argument is about staying true to world and lore of Middle Earth. The SJW types will try and silence my criticisms with false accusations of racism but those who can think freely will understand where we are coming from.

You could have at least given players an option to disable these lore breaking changes in the graphics settings!!!!

fuzz

Liturgist
Ah, yes! After 16 years of waiting, I can finally play as an old bearded hag Lore-master. Renewing subscription as we speak.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It seems like in the past year they went all in into destroying an defiling Tolkien's legacy. First the rangs of powah and now this shit. And the worst is yet to come.
claydavis.png

Thread is full of disgusting troons who are claiming elves in Bree are more lore-breaking than black trannies with blonde hair.
Faggots like this should be dragged into the woods and beaten with sticks to death and thrown into the swamp.(in minecraft of course) :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom