Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Lord of the Rings Online - Corsairs of Umbar expansion out now

ironmask

Arbiter
Is this mmo truly "free to play" or is it pay to win like 99% of "free to play" games. Thinking about giving this a try since I love LOTR.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
if u love LOTR u will love this game, in my opinion. it's very good, and u get a lot for free. that said, i would probably subscribe if i played again in order to get access to every area, every perk, etc.. but the game gives u a wide range of "stuff" for free. all in all it's an excellent mmo if mmos are your thing. good luck! <3

Is this mmo truly "free to play" or is it pay to win like 99% of "free to play" games. Thinking about giving this a try since I love LOTR.
Most of the cash shop is cosmetics and pay2notgrind. Quick travel is also somewhat limited as f2p. Last I checked (which was a few years ago) the base game is free but expansions require either purchase or a subscription to play through. For anybody that loves LOTR this is probably the best put together game regardless of the gross mismanagement earlier on from Turbine/Warner Brothers. If you can deal with a severely dated engine and afford a sub it's worth a casual playthrough, the "endgame" as an mmo is a different story however.

ADL

Prophet
The business model is not great but if you can avoid the pay2notgrind and cosmetic shit from the shop and only pay for content, the content itself is worth it and it was clearly made with love by Tolkien fanatics. Enjoy it while you can before Amazon's Second Age LOTRO2 comes out and kills this one.

The game is second to none in terms of atmosphere especially if you like LOTR, and the graphics have held up fairly well given their age.
All this being said the PVE{Landscape} has been made quite easy especially compared to what the game was pre FTP. I swear for most opponents you could go AFK and just auto attack and beat most landscape enemies.
As far as the cash shop goes there are items in there that will help your progress and are not just cosmetic.

If SSG had any sense they would make the landscape combat what it was pre 2010, remove the silly cash shop and go back to the 15 bucks a month model.

Codex Year of the Donut
The designers of lotro were obviously big Tolkien fans and really dug through all the material to find minor characters they could flesh out to avoid stepping on any of Tolkien's work. If you're a Tolkien purist, you might not like it. But IMO they did a very good job.
Monetization is the bad side, however. Lotro(and DDO, their other game) really suffer from poor monetization, nickel and diming for the content.

It also has a few unique features like the epic battle system which lets you participate in the major battles of LOTR. I had a good bit of fun playing around with that.
Also, unlike most other MMOs, the newer content is actually good and fun. They never really strayed far from the base game's systems but just added more of the story over time.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is the server populations, not sure about EU but am certain it is about the same as NA. Arkenstone is probably the most populated NA server and it isn't really anything impressive. I believe{?} around 700 players on a good night which pales in comparison to what the game used to have. Maybe another server merge is needed.

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd definitely play it again if they re-introduced the challenge that this game used to provide. Best atmosphere and exploration mean nothing if you can do the content half asleep.

They should just make it one of the Legendary servers - that said, I doubt that they will as they seem to have cemented themselves as a super-casual MMO for a long while now.

I'd definitely play it again if they re-introduced the challenge that this game used to provide. Best atmosphere and exploration mean nothing if you can do the content half asleep.

They should just make it one of the Legendary servers - that said, I doubt that they will as they seem to have cemented themselves as a super-casual MMO for a long while now.

Exactly, went back and have played the FTP version a few times since 2010 and the content for the most part is a cakewalk. There used to be several areas/zones where you needed 2 people{at least} to clear some of the content. Not anymore...

Hellion

Arcane
Some would argue that this is an improvement. People used to complain that they couldn't play some of the group content because zones were too sparsely populated and they couldn't form a 3-man or 6-man fellowship to do group quests, so they introduced the possibility to do some (not all, AFAIK) group quests by selecting a "Solo version" of them.

Codex Year of the Donut
I wonder if daybreak was already aware of this when they stated they planned on modernizing lotro's graphics to capitalize on Amazon's TV series popularity.

SSG is run like a headless chicken I doubt any meaningful graphical overhaul will be accomplished like they were talking about in the Enad Global 7 investor report.

Developers still don't know how they are going to fix the ILI system since they've set it up for so long to heavily incentivize the cash shop.

Good news is SSG has recently announced optional increased difficulty choices for landscape content. Now to wait and see if it ever gets implemented.

Fishy

Savant
I left the game not long after Isengard, and went back to it a few months ago (that life pass is paying serious dividends), going through Rohan and Gondor. Right now, story-wise I'm after the battle of Minas Tirith.

Imho, it still holds up magnificently. It still has its slow passive combat and the graphics show their age, but it's still a fantastic digital rendition of Middle-Earth. The old areas are still as good as ever, and it's amazing how massive the map is now. For anyone into LotR, it's not a game that you can afford to miss out on. It won't live forever, so get in before in happens, and enjoy the ride of the various stories of Middle-Earth, taking you all the way from the Shire to Mordor, with many side-trips to other regions.

I can't give an objective view of the F2P design though, as I'm playing on lifepass with access to pretty much everything and a shitload of free points each month that accumulated over my years of break, so I can even just indulge into whatever cosmetic or accelerator I feel like. Back when I dropped, the biggest QoL improvement for F2P players was to buy 1 month of premium subscription, as even after it ended, plenty of stuff stayed unlocked forever (gold limits and stuff like that). Not sure how true that is these days.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
SSG is run like a headless chicken I doubt any meaningful graphical overhaul will be accomplished like they were talking about in the Enad Global 7 investor report.

I think their biggest problem is, at this point, absolutely decrepit engine that did not scale up with better hardware. You'd think running a game from almost 15 years ago on modern PCs should be a breeze, but you still have omnipresent performance issues. So much so players have accepted those jitters whenever assets get loaded as normal part of experience. Improving graphics with higher fidelity assets and bolting them onto that very same infrastructure sounds mental. I am honestly amazed they actually got around to character model updates at some point.

Data4

Arcane
I played this waaaay back before FTP. I never got beyond the next settlement just passed Weathertop. As much as I like Tolkien, I just found the game boring at the time. Since I'm an eternal soloer when it comes to MMOs, maybe I should dip my toe back in since its easier. Not that I require "easy" in my MMOs, but if it pushes me further along in the game for the sake of seeing what all it has to offer in the limited time I have available to play games, eh... why not?

Codex Year of the Donut
I think their biggest problem is, at this point
whoever is in charge of marketing
they should have left the free old content promotion active forever, and retroactively add old content to it when new expansions were released
SSG is owned by the same company that manages EQ & EQ2, which does exactly this model. It's a pretty standard one(or near to it) for the MMO market, LOTRO/DDO are such massive outliers. Expecting people to pay full price for years old content is ridiculous.

DDO has the same exact problem btw. Both LOTRO and DDO are fantastic in their own ways and it's a shame what's being done to them.

ESO is one of the worst performing MMOs I've touched and it's also one of the most popular. People can easily look past shit performance, shit graphics, etc., if they like the game. They won't look past massive paywalls though.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been looking for a new game to try and I put a few hours into this. Seems ok for what it is.

Is this worth playing? Is the endgame any fun?

Looks like you can buy ur way to instant level 120.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been looking for a new game to try and I put a few hours into this. Seems ok for what it is.

Is this worth playing? Is the endgame any fun?

Looks like you can buy ur way to instant level 120.
lotro is about the journey, not the destination

Ayy, just trying to do the math on buying a 6 month sub or just buying a little gold and getting only the things I need for basic quests.

If I finish the game in 6 months or less, and it remains this easy, then I'll just buy piecemeal item shop stuff as needed. I played about 4 hours today got to level 13, was farming red creatures around the horse spawn quest guy. Guess I need level 20 to get a horse though. I'm just thinking about it, haven't made up my mind yet whether I want to continue playing yet.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom