Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Maddest Modder of All Time?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
There's a general consensus that many modders are as mad as a hatter, or at least go through life mired in the tragic conditions of their own autism, but who was the maddest modder of them all? Giskard? I was reading this sprawling review topic on another forum of the best 100 mods or so for Skyrim (compiled itself by a man who was clearly insane), and he would say things like "the author of The Unofficial Patch is a great modder but just don't engage him in any type of conversation because he will fail you as hard as he fails himself" or "this is a decent mod but it's made by a crazy frenchman who demands fealty be paid to him regularly." Have you ever had a run-in with a particularly insane modder? Do tell.

There was a FO3 mod author of a quest adventure that I rated highly on his Nexus page and he was warm as can be in thanking me for liking his mod. Then when I checked back on his topic after a few years he was radiating hostility to everyone that posted in his thread, and screaming, "You stupid! It says right in the ReadMe what you need to do here!!!" Are modders naturally bi-polar? Or just misunderstood mad geniuses? Who are the true tools of the toolsets?

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
There was a FO3 mod author of a quest adventure that I rated highly on his Nexus page and he was warm as can be in thanking me for liking his mod. Then when I checked back on his topic after a few years he was radiating hostility to everyone that posted in his thread, and screaming, "You stupid! It says right in the ReadMe what you need to do here!!!" Are modders naturally bi-polar? Or just misunderstood mad geniuses? Who are the true tools of the toolsets?
I blame mod users. If you spend a couple of years interacting with the kind of people who play Fallout 3 then you'd probably go insane too.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

That's how it usually goes as a Gamebyro modder though. lol

It's all nice and sunflowers at the beginning, but then people are pouring in asking you to create a compatibility patch for that, asking you why your mod is not working in their mod setup, asking you if this will be working with that, making retarded demands, insulting you for not being 100% lore friendly, and so and so on. It's a huge downward spiral into madness.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Giskard is the most demented, paranoid fruitcake of a modderfucker I've run across (unfortunately not with a car).

I also have fond memories of MPrilla with his SuperScripts.

d1r

Patron
No mods can save Fagout 3 from being utter shit.

FWE gives you the option to roleplay start as a faction member, and completely ditch the 101 quest line. That's at least a start.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Who was the guy who nearly caused the Mod Nexus to implode because he insisted on adding shitty Oblivion Gates all around Skyrim?

I have a vague memory of some Nexus drama regarding the Open Cities mod for Skyrim adding oblivion gates everywhere. It caused a lot of butthurt and modder drama IIRC.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

FWE gives you the option to roleplay start as a faction member, and completely ditch the 101 quest line. That's at least a start.

I used this, along with a few others, in my last playthrough and it made it fun, . So yeah, mods can make it playable except for the hardcore FO3 haters, of course, that love to fixate on and incorporate the word "fag" in all their posts for some reason. Some Gamebyro modders are crazy but in a good way, like Talkie Toaster. Dude made a mod so good that Bethesda released a DLC based on it for FO4 but it was much inferior.

d1r

Patron

I used this, along with a few others, in my last playthrough and it made it fun, . So yeah, mods can make it playable except for the hardcore FO3 haters, of course, that love to fixate on and incorporate the word "fag" in all their posts for some reason. Some Gamebyro modders are crazy but in a good way, like Talkie Toaster. Dude made a mod so good that Bethesda released a DLC based on it for FO4 but it was much inferior.

You talking about RobCo Certified? Because that mod is incredible. And Fallout 3 with FWE becomes a nice survival game when played on Hard, but it's still not a great game, respectively best played with TTW for stability.

Who was the guy who nearly caused the Mod Nexus to implode because he insisted on adding shitty Oblivion Gates all around Skyrim?

I have a vague memory of some Nexus drama regarding the Open Cities mod for Skyrim adding oblivion gates everywhere. It caused a lot of butthurt and modder drama IIRC.

Now I want to know more.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Giskard is the most demented, paranoid fruitcake of a modderfucker I've run across (unfortunately not with a car).

I also have fond memories of MPrilla with his SuperScripts.

My only run-in with Giskard was when I politely asked him about one of his mods on Nexus and he replied something like, "You aren't asking the right way to get me to answer. You're doing it the wrong way!" It reminded me of that scene in Midnight Express (1978) where all the crazy, filthy, neglected prisoners are walking and shuffling around a pillar, going clockwise, all day and all night, and Billy Hayes starts walking counter-clockwise and a wild-eyed fellow prisoner grabs him and says, "You're doing it the wrong way!"

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
So yeah, mods can make it playable except for the hardcore FO3 haters, of course, that love to fixate on and incorporate the word "fag" in all their posts for some reason.
Does FWE adds the following to Fagout 3:

- actual C&C
- believable (not theme park) world design
- reactivity to player choices and actions
- proper stats and skills system that affect gameplay
- NPCs that don't incite the hatred for humanity
- good gunplay
- removal of obligatory trash combat where you constantly need to kill dozens of bots to progress
- ladders
- good quest design
- removal of lore-raping
- actual cities instead of small settlements for 20 people

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
So yeah, mods can make it playable except for the hardcore FO3 haters, of course, that love to fixate on and incorporate the word "fag" in all their posts for some reason.
Does FWE adds the following to Fagout 3:

- actual C&C
- believable (not theme park) world design
- reactivity to player choices and actions
- proper stats and skills system that affect gameplay
- NPCs that don't incite the hatred for humanity
- good gunplay
- removal of obligatory trash combat where you constantly need to kill dozens of bots to progress
- ladders
- good quest design
- removal of lore-raping
- actual cities instead of small settlements for 20 people

tbh, it's been a few years since I played it so i can't recall all the features. But why don't you just truck on down to the Nexus FO3 modders' corner and ask the mod author himself. Stay a spell. Chat with the mod author. Tell him what you want. I'll sure he'll oblige good folk like you. Y'all come back now, y'hear?

A horse of course

You talking about RobCo Certified? Because that mod is incredible. And Fallout 3 with FWE becomes a nice survival game when played on Hard, but it's still not a great game, respectively best played with TTW for stability.

Now I want to know more.

Going off my vague memories of the incident, there was a popular mod called Open Cities, which made the cities an actual part of the overworld rather than the entire city being its own distinct cell (like a dungeon). At some point the creator started planting random broken Oblivion Gates all over, reasoning that it was more lore-friendly in the context of the Oblivion Crisis (the in-universe incident, not that time Codex got flooded by Bethesda Forums exiles). People hated them and asked him he could remove them or make a Gate-less version. But that's not where the drama got going - what happened is that people started making sub-mods of his mod in which they removed the Oblivion Gates. As everyone knows, modders and cracking groups have a comical sense of entitlement about their "intellectual property", and the modder demanded these be taken down. In the end, Nexus sided with him and established a rule that you can't create submods without the original author's permission.

That's how I recall it anyway. I'm sure someone has a more entertaining re-telling with all the autism trimmings.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom