Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

imweasel

They need their next game to be a hit.
If DA:I fails, then I am pretty sure that EA would shut down Bioware Edmonton, and restructure the rest of the studios.

Out of curiosity what Bioware studios are operating right now? Bioware Edmonton, Montreal, Austin and Victory?
Victory Games was shut down late last year, it wasn't a Bioware studio at the time anymore though.

Tytus

Arcane
I can't see DA:I failing. DA2 was disliked mostly due to it being rushed and lacking in content, not because it had shitty gameplay and writing. Anytime I see it discussed on other forums, it's usually "Yeah, DA2 was disappointing... BUT FENRIS WAS THE GREATEST CHARACTER EVER!"

I'm betting DAI's much longer development time, dozen or so party members, and supposedly ton of romances will dispel any doubts most Biodrones and the masses in general might hold for the game.

9 party members and 4 advisors (whatever that means) And yeah I agree with you. They especially came out of their way to make the biggest amount of romances in the series. So they are very clearly making the game for a certain type of customer. They are basically making Skyrim with Fucking so it won't fail.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Where did I say its important? Are we being childish now, are you going to tell me that your dad can beat my dad?

I'm making fun of you thinking a difference in priorities means you're smarter because you like linear popamole.

Fixed. While ME2 was the bigger offender in this regard, the story and [some of the] characters were engaging enough to distract from that. The same can hardly be said about 1 with its cookie cutter characters, bland plot and boring...everything. There may have been a few open areas to "explore" (read: wander around in an almost entirely empty area while larping moonbuggy), but it all boiled down to the same linear choke points, just like in 2 and 3. While I too would certainly appreciate more of a real open world from 2, I'm happy they at least provided me with semi-engaging writing for a change.

Again, none of them are exploration successes. However at least the first one tried. That's the comment that started all this shit. Read it over and over until you understand I am not calling ME1's planets a good example of anything.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm wondering how much cash bioware has in the bank account now with EA.
They need their next game to be a hit. That Star Wars game, I'm sorry, fucking killed them.
I don't think the MMO failing has much impact on EA's opinion of Bioware's single player games.

Also, from the hype vibes I'm getting DA:I should sell fine.

drae

Augur
I'm wondering how much cash bioware has in the bank account now with EA.
They need their next game to be a hit. That Star Wars game, I'm sorry, fucking killed them.

Nah, it didn't kill them. I'm pretty sure they made a profit on that game, it just wasn't nearly as big a success as they hoped.

DA:I will kill, so it won't matter anyway.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Fixed. While ME2 was the bigger offender in this regard, the story and [some of the] characters were engaging enough to distract from that. The same can hardly be said about 1 with its cookie cutter characters, bland plot and boring...everything. There may have been a few open areas to "explore" (read: wander around in an almost entirely empty area while larping moonbuggy), but it all boiled down to the same linear choke points, just like in 2 and 3. While I too would certainly appreciate more of a real open world from 2, I'm happy they at least provided me with semi-engaging writing for a change.

Again, none of them are exploration successes. However at least the first one tried. That's the comment that started all this shit. Read it over and over until you understand I am not calling ME1's planets a good example of anything.
Easy, bro. I'm not ad hom'n you the way markec is. I'm just saying that even if they tried, it still wasn't enough of a difference between 1 and 2. Both played equally linear. For me at least.

Last edited by a moderator:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Easy, bro. I'm not ad hom'n you the way markec is. I'm just saying that even if they tried, it still wasn't enough of a difference between 1 and 2. Both played equally linear. For me at least.

Fair enough. I just think it was the flavor of the "landing on planet, rolling around" thing that makes me put it a notch above. Also the story/music was better IMO.

Lhynn

Arcane
So we agree that exploration in ME1 is shit but that it adds more than it takes away.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
This is all such disappointing news. I so want :dgaider: to go back to working at shitty motels, cleaning up jizz stains to the best of his abilities off the cheap carpeting, muttering to himself incoherently and scaring the maids with tales of how he used to write all sorts of greatness, that he had it all.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm making fun of you thinking a difference in priorities means you're smarter because you like linear popamole.

Thats why you are stupid. I never claimed I like linear gameplay over non linear, I said I rather play well done linear gameplay then horribly done non linear. Maybe you find fun in exploring randomly generated planets without any point but dont start pretending like its a argument about overall pros and cons of non linear gameplay. I would not use Oblivion as example why sandbox gameplay in inherently flawed, I would use it as example as why shitty designers are unable to make anything interesting unless you are autistic, just like I was trying to point out that ME1 exploration is bad not because its non linear but because its poorly done, and I would rather play something well designed but linear then that shit, do you understand finally, or are you still gonna be a strawmen.

And again can you finally stop pretending that ME1 is beacon on non linearity, if you remove mako missions rest of the game is not much more open then the sequels. Dont say they tried, your sound like a parrot repeating same shit all over, doesnt matter if they tried if they fail miserably and in process dragged down everything with them.

Last edited:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Thats why you are stupid. I never claimed I like linear gameplay over non linear, I said I rather play well done linear gameplay then horribly done non linear.
And then you gave ME2 as an example of well done linear gameplay.

That's why you are stupid.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And then you gave ME2 as an example of well done linear gameplay.

That's why you are stupid.

Compared to ME1, ME2 has well done linear gameplay. But please by all means continue being a dumbfuck, you already managed to fit right in.

Also DalekFlay you really are pathetic, like in our last discussion you continue making idiotic statements and then let others fight your battles, you really are a joke.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Also DalekFlay you really are pathetic, like in our last discussion you continue making idiotic statements and then let others fight your battles, you really are a joke.

playground-fight.jpg

markec

Twitterbot
Patron

playground-fight.jpg

Well picture posting is a last resort of desperate man, then again I didnt expect anything better from you. Ill take it as a sign that you gave up, admitted defeat, that Im right and you wrong. In that case I think Im entitled to a celebratory dance, since my life just got a meaning, after all I finally managed to won an internet argument.

Well it was fun while it lasted, hope we do this again.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hateful and snide back and forths are a time honored tradition on the codex, as far as I've seen. And it is custom to look down on that kind of thing too. Anyone smart on the internet frowns at internet fights, and jokes about them.

But Dalekflay in my opinion has taken the high ground. He answers not with the need to be aggressive about it, but with just a joke.

I think you are the loser of this discussion markec, for thinking there has to be a winner or loser at all. Even if you joke about it's worth. Also for having the need to say "You really are pathetic. . . you really are a joke."

Maybe slightly empty words coming from someone who makes more joke posts than more worthy ones, but I think we should all aspire to be more like sea, and some others, all the same.

Avellion

Erudite
So we agree that exploration in ME1 is shit but that it adds more than it takes away.
What the exploration did in Mass effect 1 was to help give a sense of scale to the world. It is a shame the exploration was really drab though and I would never recommend it to anyone.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
and supposedly ton of romances
V0b17zU.gif

Fair enough. I just think it was the flavor of the "landing on planet, rolling around" thing that makes me put it a notch above. Also the story/music was better IMO.
Fuck yeah! Mass Effect was really unique, and I think that's why I hold it in high regard. Being able to land on desolate planets just felt right; it filled a niche for the dreamers who look up at the stars and wonder. As pure gameplay it did kind of suck, but Mass Effect is the type of game where the atmosphere is so thick and well done that it becomes a PART of the gameplay. The synth soundtrack was a part of that atmosphere, as was the art direction. Mass Effect is greater than the sum of its parts.

mettalhed

Educated
and supposedly ton of romances
V0b17zU.gif

Fuck yeah! Mass Effect was really unique, and I think that's why I hold it in high regard. Being able to land on desolate planets just felt right; it filled a niche for the dreamers who look up at the stars and wonder. As pure gameplay it did kind of suck, but Mass Effect is the type of game where the atmosphere is so thick and well done that it becomes a PART of the gameplay. The synth soundtrack was a part of that atmosphere, as was the art direction. Mass Effect is greater than the sum of its parts.

I don't know if i would call it unique, but i enjoyed it "for what it was". It really did have potential. There were a lot of derp moments in the game, but you could see where some better writing and quest/world design would have made a huge difference. The art direction was hit and miss for me. I thought Citadel Station was really well done, as were many of the other areas. If they had put more resources into fleshing out and adding variety to all of the planets and the bases that were on them instead of rendering stupid ass alien fucking scenes it would have been a much better game.

Caim

Arcane
What was the last time we saw something like Mass Effect, anyway? With the sense of wonder, something new to explore, all kinds of different people and places we had never seen before?

Maybe KotOR, but that was related to Star Wars, so the effect is already diminished.

drae

Augur
I like Bioware, I still think they create fun games, but Jesus have their fanbase become a bunch of turds. I took a trip to their forums and the first thread I opened was more complaining the Witcher is sexist... and homophobic.

Jesus Christ.

Tytus

Arcane
I like Bioware, I still think they create fun games, but Jesus have their fanbase become a bunch of turds. I took a trip to their forums and the first thread I opened was more complaining the Witcher is sexist... and homophobic.

Jesus Christ.

Can you direct me to that thread, please?

a cut of domestic sheep prime

What was the last time we saw something like Mass Effect, anyway? With the sense of wonder, something new to explore, all kinds of different people and places we had never seen before?
We've seen all of it before. It was everything I could do to suspend disbelief during all the generic Sci Fi schlock and just play the game.

I liked the game for what it was: a generic sci fi shooter that let you captain a ship with a crew that could talk to you etc, but it ripped off so many ideas from so many sci fi shows, games and movies that nothing seemed novel to me.

It was all:
Blue alien women. (Star Trek, Star Wars, Farscape)
They have head tentacles. (Star Wars)
Space marines. (Aliens, Starship Troopers)
Machines that have attained sentience. (Everything. Done by literally everything. I haven't seen Harry Potter, but I bet they've done it too by now.)
Space lizards. (Star Wars, Star Trek)
Warrior races. (Screw warrior races. Every show has them.)
Clones. (Go away.)
Zombies. (brains)
Mind control. (EA did this to get you to take your wallet out.)
Sand worms. (Dune, Tremors)
Insect race - surprise, they're intelligent! (*snore*)
ANCIENT CIVILIZATIONZ WIPED OUT BY THE PLOT MCGUFFIN! FEAR THE MCGUFFIN!!!!

None of this would be so bad if it had solidly written plot and interesting characters that you cared about to back it up (ME2 did better with this), but it was all set in a big plastic world with plastic characters and a bland plot. I never felt I was exploring a "new" world. I was always just trying to overlook how generic the sci fi was and doing my best to larp [renegade] space marine.

Maybe the devs aren't even human and they are manatees that move idea balls around a tank and whatever balls they pick become elements of the game. See that? I just ripped off an idea from South Park. It's not original or clever, but eh, who cares? That's Mass Effect. :M

Rant over. We now return to our regularly scheduled crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom