Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Memory of Eldurîm - a Gothic wannabe?

norolim

Arcane
While browsing the Stean Greenlight section I stumbled upon something called The Memory of Eldurîm.

It's a 3rd person, open-world aRPG with classless character development. From the game's Philosophy of Design page you can learn that there is no level scaling, you improve your skills by using them and the action combat is going to be tactical...somehow.

637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage
637x358.resizedimage
637x358.resizedimage

Apparently, they are currently running a Kickstarter campaign, but since I'm not a plant, you'll have to look for that yourself, if you're interested.

Newfag-er

Liturgist
I swear to god, that color loot screams WoW

Every game has "Tactical combat" while still remain "Open world" and "Full of choices"

Brian Cozzens

Barely Literate
mVltZdb.jpg

The Memory of Eldurim is an RPG with the open-world feel of Skyrim, and the tactical, fast paced, and unforgiving combat of Dark Souls. The current prototype takes place on a small island that is part of a much larger and diverse world. There are no discrete levels, but with each action you take, swinging your sword, shooting your bow, jumping, you will slowly get better. There are no classes, so your character becomes the summation of your actions and decisions. There will be a central storyline, with many outcomes based on decisions with permanent consequences, but also plenty of side quests and factions.

Visit us on:

You can find the download link for the prototype here:

While you download, you can check out some pre-alpha gameplay:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Brian Cozzens Welcome to the RPG Codex. I've moved your post to the appropriate thread. You'll find that we aren't much impressed by glitzy sales pitches on this forum, so take heed.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
mVltZdb.jpg

The Memory of Eldurim is an RPG with the open-world feel of Skyrim, and the tactical, fast paced, and unforgiving combat of Dark Souls. The current prototype takes place on a small island that is part of a much larger and diverse world. There are no discrete levels, but with each action you take, swinging your sword, shooting your bow, jumping, you will slowly get better. There are no classes, so your character becomes the summation of your actions and decisions. There will be a central storyline, with many outcomes based on decisions with permanent consequences, but also plenty of side quests and factions.

Visit us on:

You can find the download link for the prototype here:

While you download, you can check out some pre-alpha gameplay:

"Please resolve the following:

A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine."

Not off to a good start.

Edit: Installed, launcher says it can't connect (so I can't play) even though it somehow manages to retrieve the update texts anyway. :rpgcodex:

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I have no faith in a unknown company with a poor Kickstarter for generic-looking third-person RPG to ever get 150k, and even less faith in that they could do something interesting with that money if they got it.

Also:
A New Way to Level Up - Choose who you will be by the things you do, not by choosing a class. Every action in or out of combat has an effect on you in the very moment you take it.
Yeah, you shouldn't copy system that's been used countless times, even on bloody Skyrim FFS, and say that it's "NEW". Either you're treating your backers as idiots, or you have absolutely no experience with RPGs. From your KS project, I'm inclined to say it's the later.

Brian Cozzens

Barely Literate
Mastermind
Sorry about that, it's not really an error, and the fact that you have newer versions of the c++ redistributables is totally fine (though it makes it seem like it's the end of the world). Also, we haven't had any issues yet with people not being able to connect. Check to see if you have a firewall enabled, and if you have Norton installed, that can interfere with the updater as well.

felipepepe
Sorry to hear that you feel so poorly about our game. Our pre-alpha is rough, but getting better with each update, and is fun to play. And while not completely unique, our leveling system is unlike Morrowind or Skyrim in that you don't actually have discrete "levels up" where your stats or health (in Morrowind and Skryim respectively) jump suddenly. It's a cascading system, where using a one handed sword will increase your skill at using that specific sword, all one handed swords in general, and all weapons in general in a decreasing, cascading fashion. Your stamina and health gets better from gameplay, rather than choosing to level those things up. I would encourage you to at least try our demo though, as it can give you a better idea of the game than I can. Thank you.

Data4

Arcane
Gonna file this under "Interesting. Keep an eye out."

Brian Cozzens just to add to what Infinitron said, and as you have seen already, the Codex is a cynical bunch that doesn't mince words, but at the end of the day, we just want good RPGs. You'll be tested to your limits so be ready. Whatever you do, don't oversell what you're doing and just be honest. You'll get tons more respect and consideration for it.

Luzur

Good Sir

Brian Cozzens just to add to what Infinitron said, and as you have seen already, the Codex is a cynical bunch that doesn't mince words, but at the end of the day, we just want good RPGs. You'll be tested to your limits so be ready. Whatever you do, don't oversell what you're doing and just be honest. You'll get tons more respect and consideration for it.

AKA: If you want to milk this cow, you better have a solid bucket.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Why do you post an awesome Cry Engine picture, but in the game the graphics look much worse? This turns people off. Don't forget the common behavior of people is like that: omgomgawdgawsomepicture *clickonvideo* - - - wtfomgdawfulgraphicsfake *closeandnevervisitagain*

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
felipepepe
Sorry to hear that you feel so poorly about our game. Our pre-alpha is rough, but getting better with each update, and is fun to play. And while not completely unique, our leveling system is unlike Morrowind or Skyrim in that you don't actually have discrete "levels up" where your stats or health (in Morrowind and Skryim respectively) jump suddenly. It's a cascading system, where using a one handed sword will increase your skill at using that specific sword, all one handed swords in general, and all weapons in general in a decreasing, cascading fashion. Your stamina and health gets better from gameplay, rather than choosing to level those things up. I would encourage you to at least try our demo though, as it can give you a better idea of the game than I can. Thank you.

So basically the same system Ultima Online used?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Well it certainly looks like gothic2 and that's fine by me, but I don't like the TES skill approach. This kind of approach is broken and that's why they've got that crappy level scaling in order to compensate for that. Is there a finite number of enemies, and thus combat skill advancement, or will there be infinite respawns ? What are the specific skills ?

Brian Cozzens

Barely Literate
theSavant
We only just one week ago got an environment artist on board. The art you see in the video is just a placeholder to get the game rolling. The much better art you see will be released as a big update to the game in about 1.5 weeks (and we'll be updating our videos and such).

Data4
I appreciate the honesty, really. Even if we are unsuccessful in our funding, this is something that I will continue to develop in my spare time because I love doing it so much. I know it has a long way to go, but honestly there are far too few open-world RPGs out there for me, so my making this game is selfish in a way as well (I want it to be the game I want to play, and wont be happy until it is genuinely very fun).

Pots Talos
I honestly haven't ever played UO, but heard good things about it (I played Ultima 8 and 9). I'll have to download it today and check it out, as I had no idea that their servers were still running.

ghostdog
Honestly, I absolutely love the TES games (to varying degrees). Morrowind was by far my favorite, though the combat system was incredibly weak. For me, Skyrim was a damn fun game, but it took very little time to acquire the best gear in the game, and combat is very very easy. I love the loot system in Borderlands, and want to do something like that with randomized weapons, armor, and legendaries with unique effects. Combat in our current demo is still far too easy (but getting harder with each update), and is something I really want to make sure I get right. I particularly like the combat of Dark Souls, and would like to do something similar (with regards to the brutality of the combat). And the level scaling effect from Oblivion on was terrible IMO (we will have different areas of varying difficulty that you are free to visit, but may be entirely too difficult for you).

As far as infinite respawns, we are still figuring out the direction we want to go there. On one hand, it's fun to farm loot similar to Diablo, but on the other hand, you also want the feeling of permanently changing the world by defeating creature <x>. Storyline-central bosses will not respawn, but mini bosses around the world likely will (that's sort of the compromise I have in mind, may change later). Another idea I have is with regards to NPCs. In Morrowind, if you were to kill the captain of the guard of a small town, the captain of the guard for that town is permanently dead, never to be replaced. We want there to be a random element to non-essential NPCs, and a dynamic town system. If the captain of the guard dies, sometime afterwards his position will obviously be filled by another individual in the town. Also, if you do quests, jobs, and trade with a town regularly, it will actually grow. New buildings will slowly pop up, and travelers passing through may decide to stay (and the population of the town will grow).

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
So uh, I open the EldurimLauncher and get the EldurimLauncher screen, right, and uh, there's this little play button sitting at the bottom right corner. When I hit that button the EldurimLauncher closes and vanishes from the Process Explorer, and nothing happens.

Nothing

No new processes begin, absolutely nothing happens.

WTF, over

Brian Cozzens

Barely Literate
Sunsetspawn
Sorry about that, try launching Documents/The Memory of Eldurim/Eldurim/Bin64/eldurim.exe directly and let me know what happens. Thanks.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well it certainly looks like gothic2 and that's fine by me, but I don't like the TES skill approach. This kind of approach is broken and that's why they've got that crappy level scaling in order to compensate for that. Is there a finite number of enemies, and thus combat skill advancement, or will there be infinite respawns ? What are the specific skills ?

Not only that, the combat also looks like TES (clickclickclick to win) instead of the slower paced, correct-timing required from G1 and G2.

Someone please edit the thread title accordingly :rpgcodex:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Before you waste your time reading all those words, it has fuck all to do with Gothic beyond superficialities

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Would love some impressions on this. I was looking at my boxed copy of Gothic II today and thought to myself "I would really like to play a game like this again."

Looking on the steam forums, all I can see is either trolls or "game is pretty good, challenging bosses, keep it up devs."

laclongquan

Arcane

AKA: If you want to milk this cow, you better have a solid bucket.
AKA: we are not afraid to slap our well-beshatted tails onto your face.

laclongquan

Arcane
And I recommend the followings, cynical though they are.

1. Get some eyecandy in there. Ie tits and asses. Either an update of female characters/npcs, with some skins showing, or a full presentation of female playable characters. Sex sells, cynical but true.

2. your over the shoulder look is good. Convenient for some female characters. Make use of that.

3. Some maps for the world. Players love maps.

4. You should think of some additional effect to outline the body of character. It's a bit too dark somehow. Too blending into the background.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom