Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Humanity has risen!, Apr 6, 2010.

?

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

1. Might and Magic: Book I

14 vote(s)
    2.1%
  2. Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

24 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

53 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Might and Magic: World of Xeen

166 vote(s)
    25.1%
  5. Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

5 vote(s)
    0.8%
  6. Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

186 vote(s)
    28.1%
  7. Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

118 vote(s)
    17.8%
  8. Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

23 vote(s)
    3.5%
  9. Might and Magic IX

9 vote(s)
    1.4%
  10. Might and Magic X

64 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. Darth Canoli Arcane

Darth Canoli
    Masochism is a thing, i get why people like to get flogged and have their balls crushed but playing M&M 1 & 2 nowadays before playing M&M 3-8, that's next level masochism...

• Disagree x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Up Yours x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane Patron

<3sRichardSimmons
    I don't derive much enjoyment playing MM1&2 these days. I loved them back when, but the UI is just too clunky and the beginnings are too grindy for me as an old man. Ditto with Wizardries pre-VI (which likely means I'll never actually beat IV), and even my most recent playthrough of VI stalled a few years ago. I know, I know: I'm part of the decline.
    :negative:

• Agree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Getting old is only a valid excuse for real time games.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    I am really enjoying the dungeons in Mandate of Heaven so far. Non-linear, very large (especially by modern standards), tons of gold and loot (when you actually need gold in this game), always some quest or quests related to them, some thematic coherence...

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Dungeon Lord Scholar

Dungeon Lord
    Wait a minute!
    Is searching good for ONLY after battle? Only to search shiny loot? Or there is a clue or hidden important item somewhere you have to search?
    Looking at every corner is a must. For example if you are going to east, you will not notice that there is a dungeon at north.

100% Thievery skill is enough?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. newtmonkey Arcane

newtmonkey
    You are making the game far clunkier than it really is. The "Search" command in M&M2 is primarily for searching for treasure immediately after battle. Mostly everything is found in the game simply by walking into its square.

The game is full of stuff to find naturally, there's no need to follow this weird advice you've apparently received on the "proper" way to play the game. Map the towns out, explore their dungeons, and then start by mapping the roads between towns. Then start exploring areas around the roads. You'll find stuff all over the place.

[EDIT] The only time (as far as I recall) where facing matters is when there are messages written on walls, as you must face the wall the message is written on to see it.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Facing also matters for seeing things like castles.
    Incidentally MM2 is one of the few games in which random encounters are checked when turning.

^ Top  
  8. newtmonkey Arcane

newtmonkey
    True, I forgot about the castles. However, they are pretty much all at the ends of roads (so you would come upon them naturally) and their locations are also shown on the paper map that comes with the game.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Dungeon Lord Scholar

Dungeon Lord
    Is there only one active Lloyds Beacon?
    I have 2 sorcerers but it seems the location of spell is overwritten.

^ Top  
  10. Dungeon Lord Scholar

Dungeon Lord
    What is the usual maximum level for a party in M&M2 ?
    M&M6-7-8 I had usually Level 100 party at the end of the game.
    M&M3-4-5 I cannot remember.

^ Top  
  11. Sinatar Arbiter

Sinatar
    If you spend a few minutes fighting cuisinarts you can hit the 200's easy.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Most encounters in MM2 are level-scaled, both random ones, and "random fixed" ones (fixed square that forces combat, but enemy composition is randomized). Trying to grind higher levels is therefore a bad idea.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    255 is probably the max level, but as Sceptic mentioned there's not much point in grinding for such levels (except maybe to be able to defeat the Mega Dragon). I like that the game has anti-grinding measures, that makes over-leveled parties regularly face armies (stacks up to 255) of enemies. Playing normally I think the largest stack I saw in a random encounter was like 80 Rocs or 90 Sorcerors.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Dungeon Lord Scholar

Dungeon Lord
    Sorry, I meant reachable party level without grinding.

Leprechauns vaporizes valuables what is meaning exactly?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Last time I played my guys were around lvl 30 at the end. That was without grinding or exploring all the map. Most notably I didn't bother exploring all of the elemental areas.

IIRC they have a chance of stealing gems on hit. Some monsters also steal money.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. xuerebx Augur

xuerebx
    So, after beating Isles of Terra I moved on to World of Xeen. Completed Clouds of Xeen first and was progressing through Darkside of Xeen before I got distracted with some RL stuff. I decided to start playing Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven as Darkside felt just like playing Clouds of Xeen (duh) and I wanted something different.

Fuck, I'm LOVING Mandate of Heaven.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Ysaye Savant

Ysaye
    You can have five Beacons per character I thought? I know in my current playthrough my Druid has five different beacons going....

^ Top  
  18. bec de corbin Educated

bec de corbin
    I never played swords of xeen. Is it any good?

• No No x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. DaveO Erudite

DaveO
    Idealy, Swords of Xeen should be played before World of Xeen or MM3. I played and completed it a long time ago(finale was my first group of online videos). Difficulty spikes in same areas and scripted stuff, but nothing a veteran can't handle. I have a walkthru here: https://sorcerers.net/Games2/DaveO/sox.html

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    Man, got tired of dealing with tougher monsters in Booty Bay and environs, with only direct attacks/spells, decided to go to Free Haven, shop around for more powerful stuff.

That town/city is HUGE by rpg standards, in the sense that every building there has something inside of it. Joined the fire guild and went shopping in their store... Feeling like a kid in a candy shop... Ended up spending all my gold (around 20K total) on just 2 spells: Fireball and Incinerate. Fireball for obvious AoE, already enjoying blasting it, and then Incinerate for coolness points. My mage is already level 11 in Fire, so Incinerate does roughly 26-176 damage (101 average). :)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Ysaye Savant

Ysaye
    If you are prepared to invest in dark magic skill, the best attack spell statistically is Shrapmetal, which is from the Dark Magic spell list; it scales better than any of the other spells in the game, and getting master and grandmaster in Dark only multiplies the damage, also it is useable both indoors and outdoors. The only problem is that to grandmaster that spell list you have to get to a notorious reputation, which you should only do after you have got to saintly reputation so that you can get grandmaster in light spells. Will cost you somewhere between 4-6K depending on your merchant skill.

I have avoided using fire at the moment, as wanted to invest decent points in water (for lloyds beacon, town portal, walk water etc.) and air (fly, wizard eye) so using as staples Ice Bolt with the water mage, and the lightning bolt (indoors) and star burst (outdoors burst). I also have decent light magic for Destroy Undead, Create Food etc..

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    Sooo i am playing Brany Skeldalu and having fun now. Just wanted to post it here because many people here enjoy such games and may not know about it. It is a czech game with fan translation and it is pretty good,tho it does have some retarded hidden shit that you could have hard time finding. I would recommend giving it a go if you crave a good dungeon crawl with openish world.

^ Top  
  23. Grauken King of October Patron

Grauken
    Just tried WoX with SC-55 and damn does it sound great, lots of extra sounds you don't hear when using other sound choices, not even MT-32

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Pope Amole II Prestigious Gentleman Nerd Commando Game Studios Developer

Pope Amole II
    Not really. While it sports the highest damage, it also sports a staggering mana cost. Which, unless you enjoy recharge runs every 5 minutes, matters a lot. To give the exact numbers, 1 Shrapmetal deals 75% more damage than one Fireblast, but it also costs 333% more. 175% dmg for 3.33 times the price is not what I'd call statistically the best.

Likewise, shrapmetal deals 450% more damage than one Sparks, but it costs 12.5 times as much. Mana-wise, Sparks are the best spells to use, although, overall, maxing Fire first gives the best benefits so the optimal way means you're mostly sticking to fire magic for the majority of the game.

Shrapmetal being the best is more of a m&m VII meme (and even there Poison Spray is highly competitive against it).

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    Yeah, that was my experience as well, without crunching any numbers.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.