Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The most complex RPG to date?

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Probably arcanum but not in a good way, theres so many ways to fuck up a character.

TOEE is definitely a hard game in combat for beginners.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
deuxhero said:
Jaime Lannister said:
JarlFrank said:
Temple of Elemental Evil, in the combat department.

The only serious post in this thread.

So you don't think Nethack or dwarf fortress are serious anwsers?
Dwarf Fortress isn't complicated, it maybe is the most advanced thing out there, but gameplaywise adventure mode is not complicated in any way.

gamefan

Scholar
mine sweeper :lol:

But seriously, the only real complex game ive played was t.o.e.e.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
How about Wizardry 8? Heavy-stat character creation, complex TB battles, a huge world and a text adventure parser.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ghostdog said:
How about Wizardry 8? Heavy-stat character creation, complex TB battles, a huge world and a text adventure parser.

True. Wiz8 is awesome. Then again, there's also Wiz7 which is a bit harder to play without dying.

Barbader

Novice
Unradscorpion said:
deuxhero said:
Jaime Lannister said:
JarlFrank said:

Dwarf Fortress isn't complicated, it maybe is the most advanced thing out there, but gameplaywise adventure mode is not complicated in any way.

complex not means complicate

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Unradscorpion said:
deuxhero said:
Jaime Lannister said:
JarlFrank said:

Dwarf Fortress - strategy game

Nethack - unintuitive without nearly as many options as ToEE.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nethack might just be just as complex.
Just read up the sink and fountain mechanics.

ADOM has way better graphix though. :graphixwhore:

Mareus

Magister
You guys are probably gonna laugh, but if we are talking about complexity I really think nothing beats WOW. Yeah, it's a MMORPG grinding game, a genre which I really hate BTW, but when it comes to character development, I really have not seen anything so complex. Just think about it; you have many (it's late and I don't feel like counting) races, many classes, professions, skills, subclasses, thousands of items and everything is in the end pretty much balanced with up to 70 levels. I hate to admit it, but pretty damn good job Blizzard.

From single player games I played I would say: Wizardry 7
It's really heavily stat based, with a huge world and also very, very hard. You even have to have a cartographer skill to draw maps, or swimming skill so you don't drown, or a climbing skill so you can climb. I really don't think anything from newer games is so complex, but there may be some old titles that I haven't heard of.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Jasede said:
Nethack might just be just as complex.
Just read up the sink and fountain mechanics.

I don't think the mechanics in Nethack are so complex, it's just that some things happen most of the time, some happen less than half the time and some have a very small chance (down to 1/1000 or so) of happening as a result of the same action.

I would really like to see more of this kind of behavior in games and the hilarious discussions and arguments ensuing in gaming forums. It isn't really that hard to implement.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Darklands is certainly a lot more complex than Arcanum and Wizardry 7 together.

OsirisGod

Liturgist
Arcanum and for me Gothic I as the game that had free roaming without sandbox feel ala ES , seemed complex for me and still have to see that replicated in another title , to bad character development wise its so poor in choices.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Gothic isn't complex at all to me. What do you mean with complex? I feel we're using the same words but different meanings.

OsirisGod

Liturgist
The game itself is complex :) maybe its not the most complex RPG but sure is one of the most complex games i ever played.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
You should play Ultima 7 then, it should blow your mind. It is like Gothic but with even more details.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom